nycherehecomes

Employment Authorization upon entering?????

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can someone tell me how exactly this employment authorization thing works. Is it true that certain airports provide it upon entering the US? Do you have to wait until you adjust status to ask for a SS#? :help:

November 12, 2010 - Packet Sent via Fedex

November 15, 2010 - Delivered. Signed by D. Sawyers

November 18, 2010 - Check Cashed and Posted

November 19, 2010 - Received text @ 1am

November 19, 2010 - Received email

November 22, 2010 - NOA1 Hardcopy received (dated November 17)

November 23, 2010 - Touched

November 24, 2010 - Touched

April 29, 2011- NOA 2 Yuuuppy!!!!!

May 11, 2011- Letter Received by NVC

May 17, 2011- Packet 3 Sent by Embassy

September 16, 2011- Appointment

September 16, 2011- Approved!!!!!!!!!

It is true that some airports give out a stamp, but it is not actually valid for work. There is a pinned thread in the working and traveling forum which goes over this and shows from several sources why it isn't valid. You'll save yourself some headaches if you just put the idea out of your mind now.

No, you do not have to wait for your green card to get a SS#. You can get the SS# based on your K-1 entry. Go to the SS office at least 2 weeks after you enter (to make sure you're in the database by then, sometimes it takes some time) and apply in your maiden name. If you want to change your name, you can do it later with your marriage certificate. That second step sometimes means you need to wait until the green card, but it doesn't really matter that much what's on your SS card, most people don't show it to anyone.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Thank you soooooo much!!!

I read that links and was just trying to get a better understanding.

Let me say before someone thinks Im impoverished or lazy and that I NEED my husband to work the second he gets off the plane.

I was just asking a question because I thought what I read was very interesting, this is all news to me. My fiancé is very active and needs something to do. I just wanted to make sure he didn't lose himself in the process... That's all! He will arrive here to a very comfortable environment with more than what any person needs. I work and go to school full time...

Im just saying cause I asked another question before and people got really worked up about it…

Thank you to everyone who takes time out of their busy lives to respond to these posts. They are really helpful!!!!

Thank you soooooo much!!!

I read that links and was just trying to get a better understanding.

Let me say before someone thinks Im impoverished or lazy and that I NEED my husband to work the second he gets off the plane.

I was just asking a question because I thought what I read was very interesting, this is all news to me. My fiancé is very active and needs something to do. I just wanted to make sure he didn't lose himself in the process... That's all! He will arrive here to a very comfortable environment with more than what any person needs. I work and go to school full time...

Im just saying cause I asked another question before and people got really worked up about it…

Thank you to everyone who takes time out of their busy lives to respond to these posts. They are really helpful!!!!

Your (future!) husband can do a lot of things to keep himself busy and active after he arrives besides work. Volunteering is allowed so long as it can't be construed as simply working without pay - so like at a hospital or shelter or something. He can also take classes, so if you guys have your eye on some ESL classes, he could be doing that. Or projects around the house too. Nik was on the ground about 1.5 days and I already had him patching the wall where I'd knocked some furniture into it (I'd like to see anyone else get a 1 1/2 chair up the stairs all by themselves without at least one bang into the wall!! :blush:)

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

Your (future!) husband can do a lot of things to keep himself busy and active after he arrives besides work. Volunteering is allowed so long as it can't be construed as simply working without pay - so like at a hospital or shelter or something. He can also take classes, so if you guys have your eye on some ESL classes, he could be doing that. Or projects around the house too. Nik was on the ground about 1.5 days and I already had him patching the wall where I'd knocked some furniture into it (I'd like to see anyone else get a 1 1/2 chair up the stairs all by themselves without at least one bang into the wall!! :blush:)

Very true! I love your ideas! Plus a little manual labor wont hurt them... LOL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Can someone tell me how exactly this employment authorization thing works. Is it true that certain airports provide it upon entering the US? Do you have to wait until you adjust status to ask for a SS#? :help:

I any airports issue this stamp, it is meaningless. Useless. Don't mean a thing, anymore.

To legally work you need either the EAD or the GC which you apply for as part of the AOS.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.