ladybutterfly

Doing my 'resume' the american way!

18 posts in this topic

For the past couple of days I have been slaving away at my resume in anticipation of getting my work permit soon. In the UK I was always taught that the standard CV was two pages. My US husband has been helping me with doing my resume and says that here in the US, the standard is one page. Is this right? I shall be applying for office/admin or receptionist positions. Also, he says not to put your date or birth on it. The headings I have on my resume are - Objective, Professional Experience, Education, Skills and References. Any tips or advice on putting together the perfect resume?!?

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

That is always a difficult one especially as the two countries do appear to do them very differently. I joined Monster.com and they are really good at giving advice and you can then post your resume on there (without the names and companies) and they will help all they can.

It's true, do not put your DOB and you only need to put your last 3 jobs,

I would definitely suggest taking a look on Monster for the US, good luck. Oh and another thing I have done, just to make sure that I was writing my resume correctly, I attached it to an email to an agency in Jaxs and asked if they felt that my skills would transferable to the US market and got a really nice reply back indicating that they sould have no problems placing me. I am however hoping that within two weeks of being in the states I will have my interview with the same bank as my daughter -so fingers crossed for that

Good luck, I am sure you will be just fine/ :thumbs:

[The reason god put spaces in between your fingers was so another person's hands could fill it up.

CHERISH YESTERDAY, LIVE TODAY AND DREAM TOMORROW

Life is like a song... Sing it.

Life is like a challenge... Pursue it.

Life is like a sacrifice... Offer it.

Life is love... Enjoy it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You can have a look at my resumer here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...type=post&id=30

It's almost like a functional resume, since I was with the same company for 5 yrs. I had my resume reviewed by the employment advisor, so it meets US criteria.

Definitely do not put date of birth -- that's not needed or expected. List about 10-15 yrs of experience, no more. Don't include personal interests. You can go 1 or 2 pages, depending on work history, but not more.

Good luck with the job search.

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I had the same issue with my CV. I stuck with the two-page thing, because to me there was too much information to condense without leaving a lot of questions unanswered.

Mine is posted here if you would like a comparison:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...findpost&p=5787

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

I am currently trying to convert my C.V to a 'resume' :wacko: ! I (hopefully :unsure: ) have a job lined up so need to send my 'resume' over the pond soon. Is anything ever simple...... :huh:

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Timeline
I am currently trying to convert my C.V to a 'resume' :wacko: ! I (hopefully :unsure: ) have a job lined up so need to send my 'resume' over the pond soon. Is anything ever simple...... :huh:

Good luck to you both.

Most of all, make sure there are no spelling or grammar mistakes. This turns the hiring managers off.

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

---

One thing I noticed in the UK is people put their academic background all the way back to GCSEs/O-Levels, which is important in the UK but probably less so here unless that's the highest level of education achieved. If you have a BA/BS, I wouldn't include A-Levels or anything before it. If you have a lot of career experience, don't include anything that's not related to the position you are applying for, like part-time work and what not.

90day.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've run across the same issue with my wife. She's from the UK as well.

DOB is something that us "Yanks" don't really go with, so don't go there.

Also... In the UK, they put a lot of emphasis on a "first" or also on GCSE's etc...

Not applicable in the States.

Whatever you received in your uni-degree doesn't actually matter. I mean, if you actually GOT a first, then hell, say you did... But employers over here don't really need that information.

It's weird, but the "cover-letter" in the States is where you really "sell" yourself, not on your C.V.

I have all my education from Uni. onwards... And the C.V. changes depending on the job. If I'm applying for a job in "advertising" I'll list jobs that I wouldn't list for a job in "Education."

A "C.V." or Résumé is statistically looked at for 30 seconds by an employer. Only put the really "relevant" things on the page. You don't need to list all the "responsible for..." jargon on the C.V. Usually only your "Title" and time at the job. Again... You're cover letter will speak to your abilities.

Good luck...

Smiles,

T

Tucker and Fiona US/UK

K3 - Pending, Change of intent - Pending, Work authorisation - Pending, Travel Document - Pending.

Deciding whether or not to actually TRY this stuff... PENDING.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

For Canadians, U.K. and other English speaking countries,... don't forget to use a U.S. spellcheck. :whistle: My husband has found u's where Americans don't put them... and, words that are not used such as candidature... apparently they use candidacy in the U.S. (I always thought that was for election purposes!!!)

... details, details, details... ! :wacko:

Can the Naturalizatin process be so painless?!!

I'm working on my Resume at the moment. What I'm finding difficult is that although I have a great education, I do not have much work experience. This is proving difficult for Resume purposes where you dont go into details on your education, like you would on a C.V. I'm having to think more along the lines of a 'Skills' based resume rather than experience.

Having a hard time with the American spellings too. I have to force myself to change that, I'm so fond of the English way. :)

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

It's weird, but the "cover-letter" in the States is where you really "sell" yourself, not on your C.V.

I really agree with this - when I hire and am sifting through resumes, the cover letter will often be the deciding factor on who is worth putting in the shortlist. For one thing it highlights a skill that a lot of people are lacking - writing ability -- and it actually demonstrates whether the person took time to look at the job description and apply their experience to what it requires. A form cover letter almost always winds up in the circular file with the resume. Also, I subtract points when I put my name as contact info on the ad, and it's addressed "Dear Sir or Madam"

90day.jpg

Timeline

Not always true about the cover letters.

In the workshop I attended, we were informed that only about 50% of employers (in my area) care about cover letters. That's why she suggested each resume be customized for the particular position you are applying for.

If hiring, I normally scan through the cover letters (if any) and discard, and focus on the resume. But it may vary by industry and by region.

11-07-2005 AP approved

---

I'm a mix between all opinions. when hiring I do pay attention to the writing skills in the cover letter and I also believe this to be an opportunity to add this one lill extra thing you found inappropriate to add in your resume.

As for the resume itself, I have worked in childcare/educational environments, also worked as a cook a few times and done a ton of customer service jobs.

When applying to school, my main focus is my past educational jobs, when applying for cust. svcs. then those jobs become emphasized.... and so on.....

Im in the middle of writing mine, hoping to work in the educational environment again, seems for those jobs however, pre-typed applications are usually the norm, so a resume is irrelevant.

12/07/05 - receive K1 & K2 visa from embassy

12/09/05 - flew to Lincoln, NE - moving to USA to be with my hun :)

12/27/05 - apply for SSN

02/03/06 - receive SSN

02/04/06 - WE TIE THE KNOT :):)

02/09/06 - applied for State ID - learning to drive.....

02/13/06 - re-applying SSN - married name

02/15/06 - starting AOS and EAD process

02/18/06 - finally got everything in the post (certified mail via USPS)

02/20/06 - package delivered to Chicago (on Presidants Day??)

02/27/06 - NOA1 for 2x AOS and EAD

03/04/06 - biometrics letters received for 2x AOS & EAD

03/13/06 - biometrics appointment in Omaha, NE

03/14/06 - both AOS and EAD got touched... as a result of biometrics?!

06/09/06 - EAD approved

08/03/06 - AOS interview - APPROVED!

11/05/06 - found out we were pregnant :):):):):):):)

07/09/07 - Gabriella is born 7lbs 4oz. - 20 inch. long - an Angel sent from above

05/02/08 - Immigration again... removing conditions this time....

05/09/08 - My son received his extension letter

05/13/08 - I receive my NOA1 - here for at least another year!

05/28/08 - getting my biometrics done

09/30/08 - GC APPROVED - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!!!!!!

<a href="

Unless you're applying for an advanced, managerial-type position, keep the resume to one page. I had a lot of internship and work experience even before I graduated from college, so it was tough for me, but you can mess with the formatting a little--I ended up printing mine with half-inch margins and 9-point type.

One thing you may want to include, if applicable, is any significant professional or academic awards you received. This shows you as a standout in your field. Some people might advise against this, but more than once I was asked about my awards and honor societies in interviews, or the interviewer remarked about them.

I agree with everyone who has advised you to leave off your DOB. You might also want to consider forgetting about the "objective"; most employers assume that your objective is to get a job, and they'll ask you about your plans for professional development in the interview if they care to know.

Edited by pax

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.