sborman

Can fiancee ship goods to US in advance?

15 posts in this topic

I am a US citizen, and my fiancee's K1 visa was approved about a week ago by the US consulate in Hong Kong. Is it OK for my fiancee to ship some of her clothing and household goods to me in advance of her move to the US?

There is information on one of the VisaJourney FAQs that I don't understand, to the effect that the goods will not be able to pass through customs until my fiancee arrives. This doesn't make any sense to me, as it would seem that anyone in the world would have the right to ship ordinary clothing items and household goods to me if they wanted to do so. These are not new or valuable items that would tend to elicit customs duties.

If anyone can shed any light on the issue of how best to transport clothing and household goods to the US in advance of an immigration move, I would appreciate hearing from you about that. Thanks.

Stu Borman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

VJ guides are right, your fiance must only ship goods once a visa has been issued. The goods cannot cross before she does. Oh and shipping goods is not a right.

And yes, the US has the right to restrict import of good into their own country. Could you imagine if ANYONE at anytime could ship anything into the US?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i have never heard about that one, i would imagine she could send you anything she wants at any time

maybe someone else knows better

Edited by Samoray

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

So does that mean i can not send my wife a package with any presents or anything that i don't wanna carry with me, or that only goes with the k1 visas

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am a US citizen, and my fiancee's K1 visa was approved about a week ago by the US consulate in Hong Kong. Is it OK for my fiancee to ship some of her clothing and household goods to me in advance of her move to the US?

There is information on one of the VisaJourney FAQs that I don't understand, to the effect that the goods will not be able to pass through customs until my fiancee arrives. This doesn't make any sense to me, as it would seem that anyone in the world would have the right to ship ordinary clothing items and household goods to me if they wanted to do so. These are not new or valuable items that would tend to elicit customs duties.

If anyone can shed any light on the issue of how best to transport clothing and household goods to the US in advance of an immigration move, I would appreciate hearing from you about that. Thanks.

Stu Borman

Well I have never heard anything like that either I sent all my things over in boxes long before we even got approved. When I first came here I sent some clothes and such and personal items so I would feel more at home with my own things here. I sent several boxes and never had an issue. Wrote what the items were and all arrived safely. My now husband had all my clothes hung up for me and all so the transition was easy even though we knew we still had some waiting to do. My last journey here was just my suitcase as it was all here. There is no issue in doing this.

So does that mean i can not send my wife a package with any presents or anything that i don't wanna carry with me, or that only goes with the k1 visas

No you can send what you like I did that too as I did not want to carry too much on my last trip so sent it over before hand

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
And yes, the US has the right to restrict import of good into their own country. Could you imagine if ANYONE at anytime could ship anything into the US?

Good luck

It happens every day 365 days a year as far a I know. Anyone at anytime does ship just about anything into the US and its a nightmare for the ports I'm sure. Obviously as long as the contents fall within legal rules (ie not hazardous etc etc) its legal and happens every day.

I would think the K1 process has nothing what so ever to do with what you ship and when. What matters most is that you are shipping items which are allowed by the US postal service or other agencies. So as long as you follow shipping laws and rules, you should be able to ship anything any time afaik. How does the parcel system know whether the person sending you stuff is immigrating, or just a relative or friend sending stuff - or someone shipping an Ebay item for that matter? If all of this is not the case, I'm all ears.

Edited by CoffeeMuse

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

VJ guides are right, your fiance must only ship goods once a visa has been issued. The goods cannot cross before she does. Oh and shipping goods is not a right.

Good luck

How would the postal service, a shipper, or US customs know anything about the immigration status of the person who is shipping the goods? Where are these shipping provisions described? If my fiancee sends me a birthday present before she arrives, is that unauthorized? So your statement, if true, still doesn't make any sense to me. Also, you say my fiancee "must only ship goods once a visa has been issued"; in our case the visa has been issued but just hasn't been used yet. Thanks. -- Stu

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I remember, i tried to ship some of my personal things in US before thru UPS and they wanted me to itemized all of my items with prices. when i told them its just my clothes and some albums, frames, books. they told me i need to provide them some documents. i cant provide them anything bcos we're just starting our visa process so they nver took my shipment. i think it also depends on how big is your boxes, i dont know but i will just wait for my visa and ship my stuffs after. I think you provide the shipper documents to prove that you are moving to the US legally. when i send gift to my boyfriend before, i used to put what's in it and the amount of the gift, you have to declare that.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

To clarify what has been posted.. The issue is not if one can ship the goods..as long as they are not prohibited import items, they can be shipped to the US.. the issue is whether one would have to pay duty on the goods being shipped... this is why they ask for the itemization and value in the shipping documents.. it only takes one person at CBP to look at the parcel and decide that you need to pay a huge duty to import the goods... when one is immigrating to the US they consider the goods personal property and will not hit you with a duty on them... with a few exceptions...

In the past some mebers have run into an issue whereas they sent goods... the goods were labeled personal property associated with immigration.. no visa had been issued and at that time there was immigration that could legally take place.. the goods got delayed in customs and were eventually released after the SO arrived in the US.. It was not a comfortable method... it is often advised that one sends some goods with the spouse prior to the approval and to bring the remainder when the visa has been issued or after..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How would the postal service, a shipper, or US customs know anything about the immigration status of the person who is shipping the goods? Where are these shipping provisions described? If my fiancee sends me a birthday present before she arrives, is that unauthorized? So your statement, if true, still doesn't make any sense to me. Also, you say my fiancee "must only ship goods once a visa has been issued"; in our case the visa has been issued but just hasn't been used yet. Thanks. -- Stu

When you ship a package to the USA you are supposed to put on it what it is. Gifts are duty free up to a value of $100. In the op's case they want to send 'used personal goods' which you then need to fill out customs form 3299 and on that form it asks the date you entered the USA, your visa #, citizenship etc...meaning you are supposed to be there to receive your goods. This is off a website that ships household contents to the US ........ Remember: Your U.S. Customs form 3299 is not valid until your arrival in the U.S., so plan your arrival to coincide with the arrival of your shipment. So basically the info you've gotten is correct unless you ship the used personal goods and lie about the contents.

It makes sense if you think about it. The border/customs doesn't just operate on 'good faith' that you are actually going to come/return to the USA and as such are entitled to import these items duty free. Basically if you aren't IN the country and aren't travelling with the items....they are NOT duty free. If that was the case any American or resident out of the country and never planning on returning could send whatever they pleased back to the USA duty free for the rest of their lives.

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you asked about a birthday present, I would have answered differently. You did not ask about a birthday present, you asked about clothes and household goods.

LilMermaid answered your question better than I did. Point is, she cannot import her goods until she arrives in the US. She cannot arrive after the goods. Trust me, I've tried. Regardless if it makes sense to you - it makes sense to customs and border protection

Good luck

Edited by canadian_wife

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So the issue isn't whether a person is immigrating or what their status is, but one declaresr the items being shipped and what the best way to do that is. In other words, if you are trying to ship house hold and/or personal items and don't want to pay duty based on those being personal items you already own and are keeping with you as you immmigrate, then your status has to match up with that to qualify.

But the bottom line is you could ship items and totally disocciate them from your citizen or immigration status and declare them in some other way and pay a duty if it applied.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes. We did. We sent lots of boxes full of belongings several weeks prior to Alla arriving. Great way to do it. Use the "slow boat" method. I was also visiting often and brought my suitcase inside an empty suitcase every time and then brought back a full suitcase of her stuff each time.

There is no tax to pay, she is not importing and she is not bringing gifts. It is her personal belongings.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When you ship a package to the USA you are supposed to put on it what it is. Gifts are duty free up to a value of $100. In the op's case they want to send 'used personal goods' which you then need to fill out customs form 3299 and on that form it asks the date you entered the USA, your visa #, citizenship etc...meaning you are supposed to be there to receive your goods. This is off a website that ships household contents to the US ........ Remember: Your U.S. Customs form 3299 is not valid until your arrival in the U.S., so plan your arrival to coincide with the arrival of your shipment. So basically the info you've gotten is correct unless you ship the used personal goods and lie about the contents.

It makes sense if you think about it. The border/customs doesn't just operate on 'good faith' that you are actually going to come/return to the USA and as such are entitled to import these items duty free. Basically if you aren't IN the country and aren't travelling with the items....they are NOT duty free. If that was the case any American or resident out of the country and never planning on returning could send whatever they pleased back to the USA duty free for the rest of their lives.

We sent maybe a dozen fairly large boxes and two big sacks full of stuff (my mother in law sent another two big canvas bags full of stuff after she arrived) Never filled out the form you mentioned. There were some forms we filled out, Alla did it, I do not know what they said. We never paid any duty. Most of her stuff arrived before she did. We sent mostly books, some heavy clothes she didn't need right away, etc.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

So the issue isn't whether a person is immigrating or what their status is, but one declaresr the items being shipped and what the best way to do that is. In other words, if you are trying to ship house hold and/or personal items and don't want to pay duty based on those being personal items you already own and are keeping with you as you immmigrate, then your status has to match up with that to qualify.

But the bottom line is you could ship items and totally disocciate them from your citizen or immigration status and declare them in some other way and pay a duty if it applied.

I found official US government instructions on shipping household belongings to the US. They're in US Customs & Border Protection Publication # 0000-0518, "Moving Household Goods to the U.S.". A link to the document can be found at the following address:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/

I've attached a copy of the document to this posting. Thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion.

Regards, Stu Borman

moving.doc

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.