Veronik

Calling out to people from Virginia!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I have been looking on the Internet and on here, and can't find the information I'm looking for! Do you need your EAD to get a driver's license in Virginia? Is there a time frame to get the license (within a certain time of moving here)? Any major issues I should know about before going to the DMV tomorrow?

Thanks for the help!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was a Cr-1 so no EAD for me! Was a simple exchange of licenses back in 2004--no drivers test or written test--only the seeing test! Sorry, not much help for ur true question!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

orfee hasn't gone to the virginia dmv yet, but i researched and i think all you'll need will be your current license, proof of residency - like a couple bills with your name and address, and maybe take your passport with the I94 and SSN. anyway, that's all we'll take in when we go, soon i hope..

hard to get this stuff done with only one car and i'm at work all day...oh well ; )

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Well, I have been looking on the Internet and on here, and can't find the information I'm looking for! Do you need your EAD to get a driver's license in Virginia? Is there a time frame to get the license (within a certain time of moving here)? Any major issues I should know about before going to the DMV tomorrow?

Thanks for the help!

If you thought the USCIS people were "interesting" to deal with, you will love the DMV folks ! The DMV is the closest thing we have to a Soviet Style government agency.

Edited by brokenfamily

We live in Virginia but my wife has yet to get a learner's permit. However, this past September, the Virginia Governor issued an order for DMV to no longer accept the EAD (Work Card) as proof of legal residency. This means that you now must have a valid Green Card to prove legal residence. I am not sure if they will still issue a license with a valid I-94. However, if they do, it will only be valid until the I-94 expires.

See article below copied from the Virginia DMV website.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Office of the Governor

Phone: (804) 225-4260

E-mail: Stacey.Johnson@Governor.Virginia.Gov

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Phone: (804) 367-6623

E-mail: Melanie.Stokes@DMV.Virginia.Gov

Department of Motor Vehicles to Suspend Acceptance of Employment Authorization Document as Proof of Legal Presence

DMV Seeks Attorney General Opinion for Legal Presence Verification

RICHMOND - Governor Bob McDonnell announced today that the Department of Motor Vehicles will suspend acceptance of the federally-issued Employment Authorization Document (I-766) as proof of legal presence in the United States, a condition of obtaining a driver's license or identification card in Virginia. This precautionary action is the result of concerns over the document's reliability as evidence of an individual's federal government authorization to be in the country. The card, issued by the U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Service arm of the Department of Homeland Security, is obtained by individuals temporarily authorized to work in the U. S., even if the individual is in a pending deportation status.

The concerns surfaced in August after an alleged drunk driver was charged in Prince William County with a fatal crash in which one person died and two others were critically injured. Police say 23-year-old Carlos Martinelly Montano from Bolivia had been reported to ICE after two previous drunk driving convictions in 2007 and 2008, but was released pending a deportation hearing.

Police report that Montano received an Employment Authorization Document in January 2009 while federal deportation actions were pending, and subsequently used the document to prove legal presence while applying for a Virginia ID card in accordance with current Virginia law. It is important to note that Montano did not have a Virginia driver¿s license at the time of the crash.

Speaking about the decision to suspend use of I-766 documents, Governor McDonnell commented, "The integrity of the credentials issued by the Commonwealth is of the utmost importance. We must ensure that documents accepted as proof of legal presence are reliable. Virginia law is clear in the requirement that an individual be lawfully in the United States to be eligible for an identification card or to have the privilege to drive."

DMV will seek additional guidance from the Attorney General regarding federal documents that should be accepted going forward as proof of legal presence.

Of the 21 documents DMV continues to accept as proof of an applicant's lawful status, 20 are issued by the federal government, including 12 issued by U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Please look at the "About Me" page in our profile for our complete K-1 and AOS processing timeline.

AOS
Packet sent: 11 May 2010
Transferred to CSC: 08 June 2010
AP Received: 30 July 2010
EAD Received: 02 Aug 2010
AOS Approved / Card production ordered: 02 Nov 2010
Greed Card Received: 08 Nov 2010

ROC
Packet Sent: 3 Oct 2012
NOA Date: 9 Oct 2012
Biometrics: 6 Nov 2012
ROC Approved: 23 April 2013

Card Received: 26 April 2013

Timeline

Damn! Thanks MalolosToUSA... I guess that means I might as well forget about it... I wish the article said something about the 12 documents issued by USCIS that would be acceptable... I guess I'll try anyways and maybe I'll bring the AOS NOA1, but that probably won't help...

And, you can't even get an ID card!!!

Thanks Carlos Martinelly Montano for ruining it for everyone else, you *!$%*%^* !!! :angry:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Damn! Thanks MalolosToUSA... I guess that means I might as well forget about it... I wish the article said something about the 12 documents issued by USCIS that would be acceptable... I guess I'll try anyways and maybe I'll bring the AOS NOA1, but that probably won't help...

And, you can't even get an ID card!!!

Thanks Carlos Martinelly Montano for ruining it for everyone else, you *!$%*%^* !!! :angry:

I don't understand how a state can say a FEDERAL document is not valid.....frustrating.

It would not hurt for you to call the DMV before going there.

Good luck.

Please look at the "About Me" page in our profile for our complete K-1 and AOS processing timeline.

AOS
Packet sent: 11 May 2010
Transferred to CSC: 08 June 2010
AP Received: 30 July 2010
EAD Received: 02 Aug 2010
AOS Approved / Card production ordered: 02 Nov 2010
Greed Card Received: 08 Nov 2010

ROC
Packet Sent: 3 Oct 2012
NOA Date: 9 Oct 2012
Biometrics: 6 Nov 2012
ROC Approved: 23 April 2013

Card Received: 26 April 2013

Timeline

I don't understand how a state can say a FEDERAL document is not valid.....frustrating.

It would not hurt for you to call the DMV before going there.

Good luck.

Yeah, thanks anyways, you have been very enlightening this morning... I can't believe I won't be able to drive until I get the green card... So frustrating!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would go and find out what they expect you to do between the time you arrive and get your GC when they state it should be within 60 days of moving here? Of course you will not have a GC - although you do have a passport with an I94 which they mention as proof of legal residency on another page. I don;t personally have one, just id which I got after I got my GC so it's original expiry date was my 2 yr GC's expiry date.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/eligibility.asp#new

New Residents

Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver's license. However, if you hold a commercial driver's license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.

If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a U.S. state or territory, a Canadian province, France or Germany, you may not be required to:

•take the two-part knowledge exam or the road skills test

•show proof of successful completion of driver education;

or

•hold a learner's permit for 30 days.

However, you must pass a vision screening.

If you are age 19 or older and you hold a valid driver's license issued by a country other than Canada, France or Germany, you may not be required to show proof of successful completion of driver education or hold a learner's permit for 30 days. However, you must pass the two-part knowledge exam, road skills test and a vision screening.

You must possess your driver's license for at least 60 days prior to obtaining a Virginia driver's license. If your current driver's license does not display an issue date, you will be required to provide proof of the date of issue (i.e. driver's transcript).

If your license has been suspended or revoked by another state, a Virginia license may not be issued until your driving record in that state is cleared and you meet Virginia requirements.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Yeah, Udella&Wiz, thank you...I had that page printed out from the DMV, but then when I went the first time, the lady gave me a detailed list of what I needed and the 60 days thing wasn't even on there... I'm still gonna try to go tomorrow just because when I went it was mid-october and she didn't mention anything about the new law change... I'm not getting my hopes up but it's worth the try, especially since Chris has to go renew his anyways...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.