JaniceM

Beginning of our Journey

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster of VJ.

My husband and I got married on Sept. 25th 2010.

He's American, I'm Canadian. Our plan is for me to move to the US.

I plan on helping him assemble all the paperwork as I do paperwork for a living. =)

From the help here i've been getting a lot of information on what to do and where to go from here.

We are just beginning the process of getting everything together, and I was hoping I could get some advice from you all on how you started your process just so I can double/triple check that we have everything we need.

Thank you and thank you for such a helpful site.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ and congrats on the recent marriage! :)

When we were getting ready to file the initial petition, we got together in person and spent a good day filling out all the paperwork and putting everything together, and it was done and ready to go. I think doing it together and helping each other is a great idea. Best of luck on a speedy and painless journey!

Hi,

Welcome to the group :thumbs:Its nice when both of you do it together! both of us dislike paper work so doing it together made the process less painful.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 is the guide instructions for the CR1 which is what you'll need:yes: Ask questions as you go if your not sure on something...

all the best!

Timeline

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll be sure to ask qustions as I'm rather paranoid about us doing something wrong and mess up the process.

It's great to know we have a place like this to seek help from people who truely know what you're going through.

Timeline

Welcome to VJ. Take a look at the "example forms" tab at the top of the page for any help filling out the paperwork

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. Take a look at the "example forms" tab at the top of the page for any help filling out the paperwork

Good luck

:thumbs: Plus you can get more information in Guides tab above and also you will find many articles in VJ Wiki section which is on the top. Welcome to VJ and a very good luck to ur Journey.

IR-5 for Parents

02-28-14 -> I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.
03-03-14 -> USCIS received. (Priority Date)
03-09-14 -> NOA1 received.
06-04-14 -> NOA2 received. Approved.
06-18-14 -> NVC Received case.
07-03-14 -> NVC Assigned Case#(Got Case# & IIN Over the Phone).
07-22-14 -> DS-261 Completed.
07-25-14 -> AOS fee Payment.
07-29-14 -> AOS fee shows PAID.
07-30-14 -> AOS Package Sent.
07-31-14 -> AOS Package delivered.
09-15-14 -> IV fee Payment.

09-17-14 -> IV fee Shows PAID.

09-18-14 -> IV Package Sent.
09-20-14 -> IV Package Delivered.

10-20-14 -> Case Complete.

10-28-14 -> Case Complete Email Received.

Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster of VJ.

My husband and I got married on Sept. 25th 2010.

He's American, I'm Canadian. Our plan is for me to move to the US.

I plan on helping him assemble all the paperwork as I do paperwork for a living. =)

From the help here i've been getting a lot of information on what to do and where to go from here.

We are just beginning the process of getting everything together, and I was hoping I could get some advice from you all on how you started your process just so I can double/triple check that we have everything we need.

Thank you and thank you for such a helpful site.

Welcome welcome welcome!! Sounds like we'll be going through this journey together as well! I was married on Sept. 19 and we are sending out our I-130 packet today (crossing fingers)! This site is a great place to get all the answers to your questions and find all the forms and info you need! Best of luck and feel free to message me with any questions!

~Charity

event.png

Married 09-19-10

I-130 Stage

10-31-10: I-130 Sent

03-16-11: APPROVED!!!!

(132 days from NOA1 to NOA2 at CSC)

NVC Stage

04-01-11: NVC Case Number Assigned/Sent Opt-in Email

04-05-11: Paid AOS Fee ($88) and got confirmation of OPTIN

04-09-11: Sent AOS package (I-864 and supporting documents)

04-11-11: Paid IV Fee ($404) and Choice of Agent confirmed and AOS package confirmed received

05-02-11: DS-260 filled out and submitted

05-06-11: Sent DS-260 Supporting Documents

06-07-11: Case Complete!!

(70 days in NVC)

Medical and Interview

07-27-11: Medical Appt.

08-08-11: Interview (221g) AP

09-15-11: Denied- Inadmissiable 212(a)(2)(A)(i)- CIMT

601-Waiver Process

09-12-12: Filed I-601 Waiver at lockbox (hired lawyer for this)

02-05-13: APPROVED (4 1/2 months)

03-08:13: Sent updated medical/other papers to Montreal

Waiting for VISA

Timeline

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll be sure to ask qustions as I'm rather paranoid about us doing something wrong and mess up the process.

It's great to know we have a place like this to seek help from people who truely know what you're going through.

You're in good company - we're all a little paranoid :) Welcome!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My advice as you probably will know reading this board for a long time, is to get mentally prepared. Lots of processes, lots of confusion on the forms and lots and lots of waiting. So don't get frustrated with the many things that will pop up, most people on here will be able to help out with questions etc. all through the process (and even down to citizenship if desired way down the road). The process can be very mentally draining, so get mentally ready with the hubby and that way you shouldn't get too overwhelmed...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Welcome welcome welcome!! Sounds like we'll be going through this journey together as well! I was married on Sept. 19 and we are sending out our I-130 packet today (crossing fingers)! This site is a great place to get all the answers to your questions and find all the forms and info you need! Best of luck and feel free to message me with any questions!

~Charity

Cool!! That's the date we got married; but in 2009.

Welcome to VJ, Janice. I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Many have gone the path your about to partake of, which is a very good thing, as you can learn so much from everyone's experience, (good and bad). The key thing is to read LOTS. I was a K-1 and I read so many posts from different people from when they started the process, to the NOA2 to the interview. That way, I had some good ideas as to what to expect. I knew how to get things in order, I knew how much $$$ I was to need in this entire journey. That's a biggie. You'll be going to Montreal as a CR-1, so find out how much the visa is, how much your medical will be, how much the police report, perhaps the cost of getting there, hotels, etc. I agree with Warlord about preparing yourself mentally too.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Timeline

Welcome and good luck. :thumbs:

You will find that VJ is a great resource and a wonderful source of support throughout this long and often frustrating journey.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ. Read the guides at the top of the CR-1 forum and re-read them,lol No 1 cares more about ur case than you, so take the time to read the guides and ask questions----AND do a search on VJ. Search feature isnt superb, but their is a 99.99999% chance, that question has been asked before. Weekends on VJ tend to be rather slow! The paperwork probably won't harm ya--its the waiting that can be a killer!! 2 people can start at same time--but finish differently! Just a frustrating experience, one just has to suck it up, and soldier on!! You could be in a 8th world country living in a hut, so it could be worse,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thank you all. Right now we're more excited and eager than paniced, i'm sure there will be plenty of time for that part later.

I did have a couple of pre questions to ask.

I live in Nova Scotia and have been reading that later in the process I will be interviewed, however the closest place is in Montrel to do this.

That's quite a trek on our already strained budget, does anyone know of any goverment help or have you all done this part out of pocket?

Also, have any of you found that with us being Canadian the process seemed to go smoother when compared to other countries?

For our case we have no past criminal records, the only time i've traveled was to visit my husband when we were still dating, neither of us have been married before, neither of us have or have had kids, or own properity. I don't know if that makes my case less or more complicated.

Timeline

Immigration is rather expensive. You'll find out as you go along that there are many expenses that come up that you did not necessarily plan on. Unfortunately all of these costs are an out of pocket expense to you and your husband. In addition to all the filling fees, there are costs associated with obtaining documents you may not have or have misplaced (ie. long form birth certificate), getting a criminal records check, etc. There is also the cost of the medical, which I believe was $275 when I did it almost 2 years ago. Then there are the costs of travel that you need to contend with.

The process does tend to be easier for beneficiary's from low fraud countries like Canada. But unfortunately ease doesn't equal speed. If you compare Canadian timelines to many other countries around the world, ours are often longer because Montreal is crazy slow.

Your situation sounds a lot like ours was, and there were no complications whatsoever :)

Timeline

Yep - it's expensive and there's no way around it. I really suggest your read ahead to future steps in the process to ensure you're planning and saving enough $$$$.

Immigration does care whether you own property, have children, been married once (or 5 times) or anything else - it's just a process you have to go through. With fewer dependents, sure...it will be less hassle putting together paperwork and getting together birth certificates and other documentation.

We've spent about $4000 for my daughter and myself between K1, Adjustment of Status and Removal of conditions I'd say. Medical fees for us both, getting birth certs from the province, husband's birth cert, his previous divorce papers, police certs and traveling expenses to the interview etc.

Happily - we only have citizenship for both of us left and that's rough $6-700 per.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.