6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm a Canadian Citizen living in the US with my 16 yr old son. I have a TN visa that I just renewed for 3 yrs. My son has a TD visa. Which basically just allows him to be here with me. He has no social security number and cannot work. I've recently become engaged to a U.S. citizen and have no idea where to begin? Do I have to give up my work visa and leave? Return on a fiancee visa?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm a Canadian Citizen living in the US with my 16 yr old son. I have a TN visa that I just renewed for 3 yrs. My son has a TD visa. Which basically just allows him to be here with me. He has no social security number and cannot work. I've recently become engaged to a U.S. citizen and have no idea where to begin? Do I have to give up my work visa and leave? Return on a fiancee visa?

Hey, congratulations on your engagement!!!

As for your case, you have several options:

You can stay in the States, get married and apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS). You would not have to give up your work visa.

Or, you can go back to Canada and come back on a fiance visa.

Many people have successfully done AOS in the United States from a TN visa. I personally did AOS from a visitor visa and was approved last week.

I suggest getting a consultation with a lawyer or two to help you choose which option is right for you. That's what I did and they told me to just apply for AOS here.

Hope that helps a little.

Good Luck.

AOS Timeline

06-28-2010 AOS Packet Sent

07-07-2010 Check Cashed $1010 Ugh!

07-09-2010 NOAs received (I-485,I-130,I-765)

07-14-2010 Biometrics appointment letter received

07-14-2010 RFE (I-864)

07-22-2010 Biometrics appointment

08-20-2010 Submitted RFE Reply I-864

08-24-2010 RFE material received

08-26-2010 Email from USCIS EAD Card Approved

09-03-2010 EAD card received!!!

09-08-2010 Notification of interview date (Oct 12th, 2010)

10-12-2010 Interview-Approved!!!!!

10-26-2010 Green Card Arrived!!!!!!!!

No USCIS till 2012. Wohoooooo

You are the perfect candidate for Adjustment of Status (AOS).

Here is the VJ guide.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Also check out uscis.gov for the Government website. Congrats! Don't panic!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

12/06/10 - Day 0: Sent AOS
12/09/10 - Day 3: Received in Chicago
12/14/10 - Day 8: Received NOA1 (Email) and checks cashed
12/18/10 - Day 12: Received NOA1 Hard copies in the mail - also all forms "Touched"
12/23/10 - Day 17: Received Biometrics letter - Appt for January 13, 2011
01/13/11 - Day 38: Completed Biometrics
01/31/11 - Day 56: Received Interview letter.
02/02/11 - Day 57: I-485 Touched. Nothing on EAD or AP.
02/15/11 - Day 70: Received Email that EAD and AP are approved.
02/24/11 - Day 79: Received EAD/AP (Combo Card) in the mail.
03/03/11 - Day 86: Interview - Approved!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01/29/13 - Day 0: Sent I-751
01/31/13 - Day 2: Received in California
02/01/13 - Day 3: Check cashed
02/08/13 - Day 10: Received NOA1 (dated 1/30/2013) and Biometrics letter (appointment for 2/28/2013)

02/28/13 - Day 30: Successful Biometrics appt

06/20/13 - Day 142: Received Email that Card Production is ordered!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/16/16 - Day 0: Sent N-400

11/21/16 - Day 5: Card charged and NOA date

12/21/16 - Day 35: Biometrics

01/04/17 - Day 49: Notice of in line for interview

05/01/17 - Day 166: Received notice of Interview scheduled

6/7/2017 - Day 203: Interview & Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

No you don't have to leave, you can continue working on your TN while your husband (I know you're not married yet but when you do get married) can petition to adjust status for you and your son.

I would highly recommend not leaving the U.S. like you used to on your TN as they may ask about your last entry. WAit until you have AP or your GC. Also, your TN can be pulled at any port of entry and if they know you're engaged/married to a USC and they feel you have immigrant intent, they'll pull your TN.

My husband (a USC) and I travelled married while i was on a TN however we always intended on going back to Canada to live, so I didn't have immigrant intent. I never had an issue at the border or at the GC interview (we only adjusted status because I got pregnant).

You can leave the U.S. and apply for a fiancee visa if that is your wish. You'd have to give up your job and find something in Canada while you waited.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.