enzocute

Sputum Test in St. lukes Walkthrough

173 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I was sick 2 weeks before I took my medical at St. Luke's. I don't have Tb history and my last xray is clear so I was really shocked when they asked me to take another xray on my first day..they took a back x-ray this time then they asked me to come back the next day. I couldn't sleep that night. The following day the guard stamp my receipt with "laboratory reception" there they told me that I should take a sputum test coz xray shows that there's something suspicious on upper right of my lungs and they wanna check it ( I literally cried as the nurse explain me the process ). She also said that their test at St. Luke's is different from other clinic cause they are following US standard. My schedule is next week (sept.22,23 & 24). I was surprised on how my x-ray turned out. I thought it was god sign (that my fiancé & I are not meant to be together) silly me ?. There's a lot of emotion right now. I feel embarrassed and scared. Thank god I found this site and read that it's not just me who went through it. I hope my sputum is negative. Someone advice me to drink 16 glasses of water daily coz it helps. Reading all your experienced helps a lot

Timeline

Hi! I was sick 2 weeks before I took my medical at St. Luke's. I don't have Tb history and my last xray is clear so I was really shocked when they asked me to take another xray on my first day..they took a back x-ray this time then they asked me to come back the next day. I couldn't sleep that night. The following day the guard stamp my receipt with "laboratory reception" there they told me that I should take a sputum test coz xray shows that there's something suspicious on upper right of my lungs and they wanna check it ( I literally cried as the nurse explain me the process ). She also said that their test at St. Luke's is different from other clinic cause they are following US standard. My schedule is next week (sept.22,23 & 24). I was surprised on how my x-ray turned out. I thought it was god sign (that my fiancé & I are not meant to be together) silly me ?. There's a lot of emotion right now. I feel embarrassed and scared. Thank god I found this site and read that it's not just me who went through it. I hope my sputum is negative. Someone advice me to drink 16 glasses of water daily coz it helps. Reading all your experienced helps a lot

hello spitfire, i totally understand what you are going through, coz i am under sputum too, tomorrow is my 8th week so im really hoping no calls., thanks God.

Theres nothing to worry about, just start accepting the 2 months delay and just pray for all the sputum smear and culture to be negative. This delay process is out of our control and we had nothing else to do but to follow slec. You will feel better when you go to your scheduled 3 day sputum collection since you will meet people who are on the same situation. So all we have to do is follow slec and pray for negative sputum smear and culture.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Water Therapy lang okay na!

Hello kuya! Hope you still answer me. I'm on my 6th week this Thursday po :)

Hello.. asan ka na ngayon? kamusta na.

Timeline

hello spitfire, i totally understand what you are going through, coz i am under sputum too, tomorrow is my 8th week so im really hoping no calls., thanks God.

Theres nothing to worry about, just start accepting the 2 months delay and just pray for all the sputum smear and culture to be negative. This delay process is out of our control and we had nothing else to do but to follow slec. You will feel better when you go to your scheduled 3 day sputum collection since you will meet people who are on the same situation. So all we have to do is follow slec and pray for negative sputum smear and culture.

Wow ur on ur 8th week? It will be fine. From what I read if u went this far then it's negative. Well I guess all I have to do is wait and pray that everything will be alright.

Timeline

Wow ur on ur 8th week? It will be fine. From what I read if u went this far then it's negative. Well I guess all I have to do is wait and pray that everything will be alright.

yes i am, im already tempting to call for the results coz some say you could get it early.. but i decided to wait until my scheduled for them to call..

yes just pray and everything will be fine. i ask the sputum collector before during my 3 days sputum collection on how many people get positive results from this process, she said very small percentage.

Timeline

yes i am, im already tempting to call for the results coz some say you could get it early.. but i decided to wait until my scheduled for them to call..

yes just pray and everything will be fine. i ask the sputum collector before during my 3 days sputum collection on how many people get positive results from this process, she said very small percentage.

hello, spitfire. nakita ko yung destination mo dito sa US, Spencer, Indiana right?

Timeline

I had cough 2 weeks ago and was given medication for 7 days. The doctor did not ask me to do x-ray and when I asked her why she said " Hindi naman po maingay nung i-check ko ng stethoscope kaya no need for x-ray" I don't know if it has to do with the result of my x-ray at slec. Next week is my first sputum. I'm praying that it all turn out negative. Will it help if I go to pulmonary doctor before my sputum exam? Im really worried. This is the first time that I encounter problem with my x-ray.

Thank you so much to all the people Here who shared their experiences. It really helped a lot

Timeline

I had cough 2 weeks ago and was given medication for 7 days. The doctor did not ask me to do x-ray and when I asked her why she said " Hindi naman po maingay nung i-check ko ng stethoscope kaya no need for x-ray" I don't know if it has to do with the result of my x-ray at slec. Next week is my first sputum. I'm praying that it all turn out negative. Will it help if I go to pulmonary doctor before my sputum exam? Im really worried. This is the first time that I encounter problem with my x-ray.

Thank you so much to all the people Here who shared their experiences. It really helped a lot

well when i went to my sputum collection, i met one lady who is very worried too about this sputum process. It just makes us think that theres something wrong about us even we feel healthy. She did consult a doctor on the next day after she found out shes under sputum. She undergo xray again and found nothing, but still we need to follow slec regardless on what outside doctors diagnosis. Slec have strict guidelines.

I do have nasal allergies before i went on my medical exam. so i dont know if thats what they saw.

The processing of the x-rays, sputum and treatment for anyone is going to be a challenge. Your going to be thinking of nothing but the worse. I would like to say that you need to be STRONG during this entire procedure. Try and not think of the negative things but the positive. Remember, TB can kill, so doing the tests will determine the rest of your life. You have chosen wisely to continue the testing.

One more thing, there is nothing you can eat or drink that will make your x-ray's show clear for your TB x-rays. If you have TB then you have TB. Nothing is going to change that till you are put on a medical regiment for the curing of the TB.

Good luck and God's speed.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

I just had my sputum collection last sep 8-10. Just like you, i was stunned to know that I had to undergo sputum test. I couldn't believe it at first because I am always very careful with my health, aside from following a healthy diet (more veggies, fish & chicken, you know). I bring hankies with me all the time as well because I am too sensitive with smell and smoke, though our place is not as polluted as Metro Manila.

During my sputum evaluation, I was given the number B5 (as I had read from this thread, those who were placed in this group had to go treatment). I felt my heart dropped to my feet and thought I was doomed. Looking at those in group A, there were a man in his mid 50s not sickly looking, a voluptuous lady in her early 30s, another man in late 40s or early 50s, medium-built, an old lady probably in her 70s and another medium-built woman in her 30s carrying an x-ray film in a st. luke's envelop. In my group, there were 2 elderly women in their late 60s and 70s with the other one so fragile-looking, a young man in his early 20s, another man in late 60s or 70s, then me. Then, then one holding B6 was a man in mid 50s. The first to come out from the doctor's room was the man holding A1 and I noticed that he was carrying a piece of paper and a treatment record (which I am familiar with because I'd seen it on those people from the DOT at the sputum area) and he proceeded to the adjacent door right outside the pulmonary evaluation room, which I noticed the Treatment Record room. I began to have hope and remembered what a friend told me before that groupings in A & B are somewhat mixed. The old lady who was first in our line hadn't come out yet, but I noticed she and her chaperon were getting instructions from the nurse stationed at the pulmonary evaluation room. Then, the second from group A came out and she, too, was carrying the same slip and DOT record and went to the same adjacent door. When the next in our group went to the nurse and the 3rd from group A went to the treatment room, I realized that those in group A were probably had to undergo treatment. I had to wait for the man ahead of me to see where he would be going after his pulmonary evaluation and I was ecstatic to see him went to the nurse.

As I expected, my sputum smear was negative. The doctor showed me something as a white portion on my right upper lungs and a long white line (which it resembled as a hair strand--made me wonder if it wasn't my hair since I have hair-falling problem). I asked the doctor what's the possibility of that for me to have a TB. He told me that what they saw in my xray was only a suspicion and I have to wait for the culture for 8-10 weeks. If it turned out negative, only then will I be cleared from TB.

At the nurse station, I was given a piece of paper indicating that my sputum culture will end on Nov. 5 (which is the completion of 8-week culture) and was advised to call or email them on Nov. 10. So the waiting begins...just completed my first week with no call and hoping never to receive call from them before Nov. 5...

Timeline

This really helped Atleast I have an idea how my sputum test will be. Hope it turn out well for you. Still can't believe about my xray now I'm being paranoid I feel sick (though my mom keep telling me I'm not) thank god my fiancé is supportive in this frustrating stage of this journey

Timeline

I just had my sputum collection last sep 8-10. Just like you, i was stunned to know that I had to undergo sputum test. I couldn't believe it at first because I am always very careful with my health, aside from following a healthy diet (more veggies, fish & chicken, you know). I bring hankies with me all the time as well because I am too sensitive with smell and smoke, though our place is not as polluted as Metro Manila.

During my sputum evaluation, I was given the number B5 (as I had read from this thread, those who were placed in this group had to go treatment). I felt my heart dropped to my feet and thought I was doomed. Looking at those in group A, there were a man in his mid 50s not sickly looking, a voluptuous lady in her early 30s, another man in late 40s or early 50s, medium-built, an old lady probably in her 70s and another medium-built woman in her 30s carrying an x-ray film in a st. luke's envelop. In my group, there were 2 elderly women in their late 60s and 70s with the other one so fragile-looking, a young man in his early 20s, another man in late 60s or 70s, then me. Then, then one holding B6 was a man in mid 50s. The first to come out from the doctor's room was the man holding A1 and I noticed that he was carrying a piece of paper and a treatment record (which I am familiar with because I'd seen it on those people from the DOT at the sputum area) and he proceeded to the adjacent door right outside the pulmonary evaluation room, which I noticed the Treatment Record room. I began to have hope and remembered what a friend told me before that groupings in A & B are somewhat mixed. The old lady who was first in our line hadn't come out yet, but I noticed she and her chaperon were getting instructions from the nurse stationed at the pulmonary evaluation room. Then, the second from group A came out and she, too, was carrying the same slip and DOT record and went to the same adjacent door. When the next in our group went to the nurse and the 3rd from group A went to the treatment room, I realized that those in group A were probably had to undergo treatment. I had to wait for the man ahead of me to see where he would be going after his pulmonary evaluation and I was ecstatic to see him went to the nurse.

As I expected, my sputum smear was negative. The doctor showed me something as a white portion on my right upper lungs and a long white line (which it resembled as a hair strand--made me wonder if it wasn't my hair since I have hair-falling problem). I asked the doctor what's the possibility of that for me to have a TB. He told me that what they saw in my xray was only a suspicion and I have to wait for the culture for 8-10 weeks. If it turned out negative, only then will I be cleared from TB.

At the nurse station, I was given a piece of paper indicating that my sputum culture will end on Nov. 5 (which is the completion of 8-week culture) and was advised to call or email them on Nov. 10. So the waiting begins...just completed my first week with no call and hoping never to receive call from them before Nov. 5...

thank you for sharing your experience it really helps us who are under the same situation, during my pulmonary evaluation i was in set A. so i guess it really doesnt matter which sets assign to you!.

Timeline

This really helped Atleast I have an idea how my sputum test will be. Hope it turn out well for you. Still can't believe about my xray now I'm being paranoid I feel sick (though my mom keep telling me I'm not) thank god my fiancé is supportive in this frustrating stage of this journey

I think it's only normal to feel that way because we tend to believe that there's problem with our lungs. We can't read or interpret xray films unless we're in that field so we solely rely on what the slec doctor told us. That situation caused me to doubt my health, too, although my family keeps on assuring me that everything's fine since they've known me for being health conscious. Just keep on boosting your immune system by eating the right food, take multivitamins, if you can and have enough sleep. Pray and hope for the best... The day will come that these will be all behind us...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.