Hello everyone

Just to make sure of what to send in with N-400

I have been a LPR for over 10 years, single and divorced from a US citizen

So the things to send in seem so much easier from someone who is married:

Divorce Decree

2 Photos

N-400 application

Fee

Only if you're still married do you have to send in IRS tax transcripts, mortgage forms, joint acounts from what I understand. Is this correct?

Ironically it seems easier to apply if you're divorced!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello everyone

Just to make sure of what to send in with N-400

I have been a LPR for over 10 years, single and divorced from a US citizen

So the things to send in seem so much easier from someone who is married:

Divorce Decree

2 Photos

N-400 application

Fee

Only if you're still married do you have to send in IRS tax transcripts, mortgage forms, joint acounts from what I understand. Is this correct?

Ironically it seems easier to apply if you're divorced!

Divorce Decree

2 Photos

N-400 application

Fee

copy of green card - front/back

if you're married and applying for citizenship based on the 3 year requirement then yes proof of relationship are required. you can also be married to a USC for say 6, 7, or 10 years etc but not required to submit tax transcripts, loan accts... etc.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Divorce Decree

2 Photos

N-400 application

Fee

copy of green card - front/back

if you're married and applying for citizenship based on the 3 year requirement then yes proof of relationship are required. you can also be married to a USC for say 6, 7, or 10 years etc but not required to submit tax transcripts, loan accts... etc.

ditto,

copy of GC front and back

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Up in the air yet on tax returns for my step daughter, we are working on that now as she wants to study in the UK and beneficial to get her US citizenship as she won't need a visa. For her, its just three thin 1040EZ sheets.

With the 2 photos, N-400, copy of green card, and a check, seems like nothing compared to the one inch stack of stuff we sent in even with the tax returns. Our tax returns are thick. Was also thinking about sending in a copy of her grade transcripts, another sheet, as she is a 4.0 GPA student. But maybe overdoing it.

Up in the air yet on tax returns for my step daughter, we are working on that now as she wants to study in the UK and beneficial to get her US citizenship as she won't need a visa. For her, its just three thin 1040EZ sheets.

With the 2 photos, N-400, copy of green card, and a check, seems like nothing compared to the one inch stack of stuff we sent in even with the tax returns. Our tax returns are thick. Was also thinking about sending in a copy of her grade transcripts, another sheet, as she is a 4.0 GPA student. But maybe overdoing it.

Call IRS and get free copies of your tax transcripts. Takes about1 week and each year is only a couple pages.

They are more valid than returns as they prove you filed where returns don't.

800 829 1040 24/7.

No need send in W2s also when you send transcripts.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Call IRS and get free copies of your tax transcripts. Takes about1 week and each year is only a couple pages.

They are more valid than returns as they prove you filed where returns don't.

800 829 1040 24/7.

No need send in W2s also when you send transcripts.

I agree with Dakine .

The Tax Tranxcript are better it inturn saves you from going through and printing off your W-2s

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

I agree with Dakine .

The Tax Tranxcript are better it inturn saves you from going through and printing off your W-2s

So with the over five year N-400 application, do you, or do you not have to submit the last three years of your tax returns, or transcripts.

If the USCIS still wants to see W-2's, not keeping up with the IRS, for filing on-line, you have to type in your own W-2's now.

Step-daughter didn't even have to file, only miserable minimum wage part-time jobs, but we filed anyway so she did have tax returns and did get a couple of bucks back. Plus having the returns for her US citizenship. But the huge amount was for FICA taxes you never get back. Seems criminal to me, needs that money for way overpriced college tuition and the outrageous rent these college towns charge.

If it wasn't for long delays in our processing, she would have been under 18 years of age, missed it by only a couple of months and couldn't tailgate her mom. Did write to the USCIS about this with our timeline. Said they were sorry, but the law is the law. Two more years and another 675 bucks and another 1,350 miles of driving, biometrics, interview, and oath ceremony.

Timeline

So with the over five year N-400 application, do you, or do you not have to submit the last three years of your tax returns, or transcripts.

If the USCIS still wants to see W-2's, not keeping up with the IRS, for filing on-line, you have to type in your own W-2's now.

Ok.. do not send any tax information with your N-400 application. This info is not requested filing at the 5 year mark.

Any child you have who are LPR WILL become a USC if they are under 21 years of age....!

Also when do you plan to send off your application..??? I will send off my N-400 on friday, 10/8/2010.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

Ok.. do not send any tax information with your N-400 application. This info is not requested filing at the 5 year mark.

Any child you have who are LPR WILL become a USC if they are under 21 years of age....!

Also when do you plan to send off your application..??? I will send off my N-400 on friday, 10/8/2010.

Been through this, wife had a unmarried son over 21, no way could I petition for him, wife had to do that, but we were advised to wait until she became a US citizen, as petitioning as a LPR was taking forever. Today is taking forever even petitioning as a US citizen.

But the law is only children under the age of 18 can become a US citizen with their parent. As I said, I even tried to fight this as the dates were so close, with the USCIS, 90 days means 90 days, under 18 years of age means under 18 years of age, and under 21 years of age, means under 21 years of age. Even a day under or a day over makes a huge difference.

21 used to be the age for being considered an adult, but they lowered that to 18 for the draft, but then said why is okay for a kid to get killed for this country, but can't have a beer. So they lowered the drinking age to 18, but then college kids were getting drunk, so they raised the drinking age back to 21. USCIS uses both 18 and 21 as defining ages, depending on the application.

"Child Citizenship Act of 2000 Effective February 27, 2001, the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 provided that a non-U.S. citizen child (aged under 18) with a U.S. citizen parent, and in the custody of that parent, automatically acquired U.S. citizenship. To be eligible, a child must meet the definition of "child" for naturalization purposes under immigration law, and must also meet the following requirements:

• The child has at least one United States citizen parent (by birth or naturalization)
  • The child is under 18 years of age
  • The child is currently residing permanently in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the United States citizen parent
  • The child has been admitted to the United States as a lawful permanent resident or has been adjusted to this status
  • An adopted child must also meet the requirements applicable to the particular provision under which they qualified for admission as an adopted child under immigration law"

Timeline

Hmmmmmm not gooood....

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

Hmmmmmm not gooood....

Do you also have a child that will reach 18 before you or your spouse can apply, for US citizenship? My step daughter could tailgate my wife on her I-751 for only $80.00 extra.

What I don't know about, is with US citizenship, does a child under the age of 18 also get a certificate? That is another area where reading the M-476 manual and N-400 instructions is very unclear about. And nothing on the application about paying that extra $80.00 for biometrics for each child. That's $80.00 each for each child.

Not even sure why the applicant has to pay that extra $80.00 for the N-400, was already done twice before and NO fingerprints are shown on the certificate and you provide your own photographs. With a green card, they take your photograph and your fingerprint is right on the card for that $80.00. The card is embedded in plastic, with the certificate, just a piece of ordinary paper, very easy to tear or get moisture damage with your photo held on by a tiny piece of double sided tape.

Some said there photo had a piece of plastic laminate over their photo, must be field office dependent on how they attached the photo. Ours is easy to rip off, especially if you jam it in carelessly into the envelop. Oh, that was our envelop, don't even get that.

Timeline
Do you also have a child that will reach 18 before you or your spouse can apply, for US citizenship?

Yes my little brother who us now 14.. but by the time my mom is able to apply with the N-400 my brother would be 20 y/o.

Not even sure why the applicant has to pay that extra $80.00 for the N-400, was already done twice before and NO fingerprints are shown on the certificate and you provide your own photographs. With a green card, they take your photograph and your fingerprint is right on the card for that $80.00. The card is embedded in plastic, with the certificate, just a piece of ordinary paper, very easy to tear or get moisture damage with your photo held on by a tiny piece of double sided tape.

Ha...! This is funny I really wonder my self how the the cost for the N-400 is so dang High for Nothing.. because true we take own photos.. and the documents that is received is not onethat would last...

Some said there photo had a piece of plastic laminate over their photo, must be field office dependent on how they attached the photo. Ours is easy to rip off, especially if you jam it in carelessly into the envelop. Oh, that was our envelop, don't even get that.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

@ NiCKD - When do u plan to send off the documents...?

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

@ NiCKD - When do u plan to send off the documents...?

Could have done that yesterday, but my step daughter went back to college. When kids turn over 18, let them make their own decisions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.