Veronik

What's the best bank?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I've had Wachovia and Wells Fargo separately and then again since they have merged. I really like the bank for their service, but I would NOT get a credit card from them, they have horrible APR.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I can't give you my own opinion but my fiance is a loyal Charter 1 customer and would recommend that if he was reading.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Find a credit Union. They can do everything banks can, but guess what they are not for profit. SO cheaper! Loan rates, monthly fees, everything, and alot of times if they make money over the year they give you, the member, a portion of that back at the end of the year!

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Find a credit Union. They can do everything banks can, but guess what they are not for profit. SO cheaper! Loan rates, monthly fees, everything, and alot of times if they make money over the year they give you, the member, a portion of that back at the end of the year!

Any idea if credit unions in the USA have an umbrella organization so you can do banking away from home? Or better yet, do you know of any good links about credit unions in the US?

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

2010-01-10 : I-129F Sent

2010-02-05 : I-129F NOA1 Received

2010-04-27 : I-129F NOA2 Received

2010-05-01 : NVC Received

2010-05-10 : Consulate Received

2010-06-01 : Packet 3 Received

2010-07-16 : Packet 3 Sent (6 weeks later, so it skews the time line a bit)

2010-07-22 : Packet 3 Logged

2010-09-07 : Packet 4 Sent

2010-09-14 : Packet 4 Received

2010-10-26 : Interview Date (Approved!!!)

2010-??-?? : POE

Timeline

Yeah, that's a good idea, because that's what my bank was in Quebec, and it was awesome... Does anyone know of a credit union in Virginia?

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Timeline

Yeah, that's a good idea, because that's what my bank was in Quebec, and it was awesome... Does anyone know of a credit union in Virginia?

I just would use yellowpages an type in credit union for your area. Most credit unions are small since they are not for profit. I attached a link from one I found just by googling virginia and credit union:)

https://www.vacu.org/Default.aspx

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Timeline

I doubt you would be able to set up an account on line. You need to show positive ID and provide a signature so you should expect an in-bank visit to set up your account(s).

We're also Bank of America and have had no problems.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

First time bank setup, has to be in person.

After that you can [normally] open additional "accounts" [savings for example] online.

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've set up all of my checking accounts online. I've got US Bank, Bank of America, and Chase. They just require that you send in some kind of signature card by fax, mail, or drop it off in person. I faxed mine. Had absolutely no problems.

I love my Bank of America account. They're always so nice on the phone and I really love the keep the change program. I saved like $40 in the first month. It's amazing how that stuff can add up.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

John and I really only use our credit unions. His is Chessie Federal, based out of MD and WV...only reason we stay with them is because they memo post his paycheck the day before everyone else :D

My every day transactions are with Navy Federal Credit Union. I work for them and if you can get in through our field of membership, they are awesome at lending. They were the first one to actually give me a US credit card without much history or a score.

There is a branch in the Richmond area, and our headquarters are near DC in Vienna, VA.

If you have any questions about NFCU don't hesitate to ask :)

AOS/EAD

04/07/07 - Sent AOS/EAD to Chicago

04/09/07 - Received at Chicago Lockbox

04/16/07 - NOA Date

05/10/07 - Transferred to CSC

05/30/07 - Case Pending at CSC

06/19/07 - Card Production Ordered for AOS

06/22/07 - Approval Notice Sent for AOS

06/23/07 - Welcome to America Letter received!

06/27/07 - Green Card Received

Removing Conditions

06/03/09 - Sent I-751

06/04/09 - Received at VSC

06/05/09 - NOA1

07/01/09 - Biometrics - Alexandria, VA

07/02/09 - the Lonely Touch

10/29/09 - Approved!

11/04/09 - Card Production Ordered

3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif John 3dflags_can0001-0001a.gifKrystin = 3dflags_usava01-0001a.gif

3D Flags

Timeline

I find regional banks the best in regards to their customer service. Working in insurance I need to talk to banks on a daily basis. Whenever I talk to someone from Wells Fargo or Chase for example, they're in a central service center somewhere in the US (or outside the US) and it can be very difficult to communicate anything. I don't know about other states, but here in CO we have a lot of smaller regional banks, where you can call the number and actually get a physical location and talk to the person working on the account (refinances, mortgages, etc.) I'm one who appreciates quality customer service above most other things.

We use FirstBank and I have no complaints.

Timeline

Thanks again! This is great! I'm still unsure now, but in a positive way because it seems there's a lot of good ones out there! Great!

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Timeline

One thing you'll learn quickly is that the American banking system SUCKS. Big time. Don't ever try to cash a non-USD cheque/money order and don't ever try to purchase/deposit non-US currency. I remain hopeful that they will enter the 1980's soon.... or that RBC and/or TD will tackle the problem and eventually bring them up to world standard. Criminy.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.