chloelopez

will cancellation of K1 affect my B1/B2 visa?

10 posts in this topic

my fiance and i are having arguments lately and we're thinking of cancelling the K1 visa petition. my interview is scheduled soon and they already have my passport. can i tell the embassy that we're not pushing with the application anymore? will this affect my existing B1/B2 visa? will it get cancelled as well? please help

If you are certain you don't want to continue with the K1 Visa then yes make sure you contact the Embassy. If you aren't certain then you might want to try to reschedule your interview for a later date, so that you have a bit of time to work out what you want to do. This should have no affect on your existing visa.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They might have cancelled your Tourist visa already or would have been at the time when youpick up the passport. At that time you can let it be known that you choose not to use the visa and that you will not persue living in the usa and would like to retain the tourist visa.... visa should be fine

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

They might have cancelled your Tourist visa already or would have been at the time when youpick up the passport. At that time you can let it be known that you choose not to use the visa and that you will not persue living in the usa and would like to retain the tourist visa.... visa should be fine

so i just need to go to the embassy and let them know that i no longer wish to live stay in the US? will i tell this to the verification of the documents part or to the consul during the interview?

If you are certain you don't want to continue with the K1 Visa then yes make sure you contact the Embassy. If you aren't certain then you might want to try to reschedule your interview for a later date, so that you have a bit of time to work out what you want to do. This should have no affect on your existing visa.

the time to cancel the visa appointment has already lapsed and they already have my passport.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

so i just need to go to the embassy and let them know that i no longer wish to live stay in the US? will i tell this to the verification of the documents part or to the consul during the interview?

yes you can go there. They probably wont accept a phone call since that could be anyone and they are unable to verifify you. sometimes a letter maybe required.

the time to cancel the visa appointment has already lapsed and they already have my passport.

When is your interview date.. I asked because you said the time to cncl has lapsed However, An appointment maybe cancelled at anytime.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

my fiance and i are having arguments lately and we're thinking of cancelling the K1 visa petition. my interview is scheduled soon and they already have my passport. can i tell the embassy that we're not pushing with the application anymore? will this affect my existing B1/B2 visa? will it get cancelled as well? please help

What ever you do make sure you get something in writing from the embassy. Ia m not sure where you stand on your relationship but help your petitioner by doing all by the book. Because what i think is in case if your petitioner have to file another aplication later on he /she will need the closure from previous applications and the best way to do that is to provide your petitioner with a letter from the embassy. This will help him / her alot in the future regardless of your relationship. Think ahead! US Immigration matters are very complicated and it's all about money at the end and frustration...

Edited by Go Green

For what it's worth - Umit's B-2 visa is still valid in her passport even after she received the K-1 visa.

You should contact the embassy - to cancel the K-1 visa, and then they can properly close down the case.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.