Filing AOS for K-1 fiancee

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

The I-485 application states that if the K-1 fiance(e) had a

medical exam within the past year, he or she does not

have to submit a full medical report but only a vaccination

supplement along with the AOS application.

Has anyone done this ? Is the vaccination supplement something that

the fiance(e) receives from the doctor in the home country ?

Thanks

During the medical examination for the K-1 visa, the panel physican prepares a vaccination record; I believe the form used for it is DS-3025. This form, along with the rest of the medical exam paperwork, gets sent to the embassy or consulate and eventually goes into the sealed brown envelope presented at the POE. My fiance was given a copy of all the paperwork from his K-1 medical exam, but there are a number of folks here who did not get copies. I recommend that your fiance(e) request a copy at the medical examination to ensure that he(she) has it.

Strictly speaking, USCIS requires that you submit vaccination supplement form I-693A with the I-485, even if you are exempt from submitting the entire medical examination (I-693) because of your recent K-1 medical examination. This requires you to take the DS-3025 from the K-1 medical exam to a civil surgeon and have him/her fill out the I-693A, which is then provided to you in a sealed envelope for submission with the I-485.

However, there are many people here who had completed all their vaccinations at the time of the K-1 medical exam and opted to submit DS-3025 in lieu of the I-693A, thereby saving the cost of going to the civil surgeon. There is a risk of getting an RFE if you do this -- one poster recently received an RFE at her AOS interview for this very reason -- but on the other hand many who submitted DS-3025 have been approved with no problem.

K1 Visa

April 1, 2005 ...... I-129F mailed to VSC

April 4, 2005 ...... I-129F received at VSC

April 5, 2005 ...... NOA1 issued by VSC

May 4, 2005 ....... NOA2 issued by VSC

May 12, 2005...... NVC sent petition to embassy

June 14, 2005..... Fiance received Packet 3 from embassy

Dec 20, 2005 ..... Interview -- visa issued!!!

Dec 27, 2005 ..... Fiance arrived in US

Dec 30, 2005 ..... We got married!!!

AOS / EAD

June 7, 2006 ...... Mailed AOS/EAD paperwork to Chicago Lockbox

June 8, 2006 ...... Realized that we failed to send passport photos for I-765;
awaiting RFE!

June 9, 2006 ...... AOS/EAD package delivered

June 15, 2006 .... NOA issued for AOS/EAD

July 1, 2006 ........ Biometrics appointment

July 3, 2006 ........ AOS & EAD touched

July 17, 2006 ...... AOS transferred to CSC

July 21, 2006 ...... CSC received AOS case

July 22, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 25, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 26, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 28, 2006 ...... AOS touched

July 31, 2006 ...... AOS touched

Aug 4, 2006 ........ AOS approved per case status on USCIS website!

Aug 9, 2006 ........ Welcome letter received

Aug 10, 2006 ...... Green card received!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep, this is definitely part of the AOS process. The K-1 applicant, at their medical appointment, usually (but not always) receives a photocopy of a vaccination worksheet prepared by the doctor and included in with the physical. It is not a requirement to have all of the required vaccinations prior to arrival in the US, but it is a requirement to have them when you apply for the AOS. Once in the US, the K-1 applicant contacts a civil surgeon - a doctor approved by immigration to do immigration medicals - and arranges to obtain any missing vaccinations and to obtain the proper vaccination supplement - it is only available in the US. The civil surgeon transfers the information from the vaccination worksheet to the vaccination supplement and puts it in a sealed envelope. That sealed envelope is then included in with the AOS application, or can be brought to the AOS interview later unless requested with an RFE. Some individuals whose vaccinations are complete and don't require additional ones have been successful in just submitting the vaccination worksheet and have not been required to obtain the vaccination supplement, but it is listed as a requirement. Many civil surgeons try to tell the K-1 spouse that they need a new full medical - you do not as long as your medical is less than 1 year old. You may want to phone around to different civil surgeons to find the one who offers the best price - prices vary from $10 to $100. If you don't have the vaccination supplement, you can bring immunization records from your hokme country - as long as you have evidence to prove your vaccination history the civil surgeon can transfer the information to the correct form.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We had our interview (2 days ago) 19 months after filing and didn't have to have another medical.

As for the vaccination supplement, that's a trickier question. My wife and my stepson went to a civil surgeon to get the supplement after we got our notice of interview because we knew there were some shots missing. It cost $300. I know people who did not do this and had successful interviews. At our interview we were asked if the medical had been done before or after they arrived at which point I offered the vaccination supplement. If I had answered that it had been done previously, which was true, and not offered the supplement I have no idea whether the interviewer would have asked for it. Maybe I could have saved the $300. Who knows? Just didn't want to delay things any more since it had already been 19 months.

Edited by elyjack

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Pamela got her full medical in Brazil by a consulate doctor and he said we didn't need copies of the medical.

When we filed for AOS, I printed up a letter saying that the sealed medical doc's were given to immigration at the POE. We never got the vacc. supp. or any other shots when she arrived here.

She received no RFE and no questions about this at the interview. We only assumed that the officer looking over her packet thought this was acceptable (Obviously, otherwise we would've received an RFE).

I got this idea from another VJer who typed up a letter and didn't send in the vacc. supp. and his wife didn't receive an RFE either.

Good Luck whatever route you choose. :thumbs:

-------------------------------

AOS Process

3/10/06---Pamela and I arrive in the states from Brasil

3/23/06---We got married!!!!yeh!!!!!

4/11/06---Our first NOA for the I-485 and I-765

5/20/06---Our green card interview was scheduled for 7/28/06

6/03/06---We moved to Phoenix, AZ and had to cancel our interview

7/15/06---Our rescheduled green card interview (WOW! Only 10 days after our initial 1st interview)

8/07/06---Green Card Approved!!!! (Now only the wait by mail)

8/14/06---Received "Welcome to the USA" letter in the mail.

8/18/06---YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS! Received Green Card today!(actually it should be called

the White Card, ha)....immigration free for 2 years!!

Andy---USA

Pâmela---BRAZIL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.