DeadPoolX

Children

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not specifically the demographic the OP was asking for responses from, but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I'm 24 and have never wanted kids, ever. Every now and then I reassess my position on it but I always end up staying with the decision to not have kids. When I met A, I was in a phase of not being sure, I just wanted to see where life led me. As it turns out, he doesn't really want kids either. We're basically 2 kids ourselves. We're responsible, mature people but we can't stand the idea of not being able to do and buy what we want, when we want. I think personally, if I had kids and I had to make sacrifices for it, I would ultimately end up resenting my kid for it.

I think it's naive to think if someone is on the fence about it that they'll regret their decision if they don't have kids. They may be on the fence until they're 40 and then realize it was the right choice.

I'm glad to see everyone here is open-minded and understands not everybody has the biological impulse to spawn, haha.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Filed: Timeline

I think we all have the "what if" scenarios run through our minds at one time or another..... no matter which side of the "what if" you're reviewing it from. And I think that's perfectly natural. Having children is a huge responsibility. Like some of the others say... you can never be prepared for all that it entails. I think children will thrive in almost any situation as long as they are loved and nurtured. They're remarkably resilient. And it's amazing to me how the end product turns out when faced with the challenges of life. We each have our own way of "being" based on our environment and circumstances. We are all unique.... just like everyone else. lol. Some of us have a strong desire to procreate and to nurture. Others do not. And that's okay too. I think that it's nice that we're all different. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think we all have the "what if" scenarios run through our minds at one time or another.....

Yeah I had enough of those in highschool and college with girls when I was told several times "um I just missed my......" Ahhhhhhhhh...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Ok...I have only 10 minutes to post...But I'll post something about this topic, as I can't stop thinking about it..

The bottom line: Having children/kids is a personal decision. And there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to having kids. Some people have kids, and that's fine. While others don't, which is perfectly fine too. It take all types to be in this world. Children are a big responsiblity, and parenting is FOREVER (heck, parenting lasts longer than some marriages..but that's another topic...), so this is not a decision to be taken lightly..

So think it over before you have children...:)

The questions that couples should discuss with each other before they have children:

-Is our relationship stong enough to handle 'throwing another person' into the mix?

-Do I have the time to spend with my kids?

-What are my interests and priorities in life?

Regardless, I hope you make the right decision for you and your family....:)

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Simply put, about two years before my daughter came into my life, I didn't want kids. I slowly came around to the idea, reconsidered and we went ahead with it.

Now, I couldn't imagine my life without my daughter. Couldn't imagine it.

I've since divorced and remarried, in a year or two my wife and I are planning to have two more kids. Can't wait. :)

Timeline

I regret it - did it too young (I was 22). At the time, I was ready for children so we had one. Turns out I was not ready......I don't think you can be mentally prepared....there isn't a class you can take that prepares you.

Knowing what I know now....I wouldn't have any or I would have put it off until my mid 30's when I was more mature. I had not cultivated patience at 22, I was too into myself and then there were the monetary concerns which came along with being young and not having an established job and trying to support.

My husband agrees that he would not do it again either - he has 2 sons from his first marriage.

Having children is a full-time job on top of whatever else you're doing already. Children will change your life no matter what you think - you will see a side of yourself that is stronger then you ever thought possible, you will see a side which loves harder then you ever imagined and then you will also see an ugly side of yourself that you've never seen - you will yell, scream, cry and rant . Children can bring out the worst in you - parts that you never knew existed because in the adult world - everyone knows how to act. A child can push your buttons like no tomorrow. You and your wife will see sides of eachother you never saw before - good and bad.

It just is what it is......but I wouldn't do it knwoing what I know now.

My personal experiences obviously colour my perception. :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Oh I forgot to add, here are more questions to consider:

-What is your lifestyle and living/household situation?

-Are you ready to handle any challenges and potential problems that may occur while parenting?

-What is your financial/economic sitiation (lol..grant it, you don't need a million dollars, but you do need some sort of money set aside for child-related expenses...lol...diapers don't come cheaply!)

-What is your health and age? (for example, there are more risks for women over a certain age to have children, and can result in risks for the baby too)

-What is your social situation? Who do you hang out with?

-How do you see yourself with children and without children?

-Can you see yourself putting your children first, above all else?

-Can you give your children the most important thing of all: unconditional love...

etc.

Lol..I'll write more later.....

But I hope this gives you more to think about too.....;)

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

I had my first child 1 month before I turned 18..I had my second 5 years later..Most people assume given the chance I would change this..surprisingly to most I would not.

It was not always easy..but was absolutely worth every second..every sacrifice, and every tear I cried in joy(or in despair..lol)

I now have 3 beautiful grandchildren from my oldest daughter...If I had not chosen to have her..well...I wouldn't have them either.

Now..My husband(not the girls dad) He has never wanted children of his own..and has never for one second had regrest about his choice..he loves my girls...just doesn't want any of his own.

I agree with so many of the other posters..there is never a perfect time, there could always be more money, or a bigger house or whatever.

You will know if its the right choice for you..you will in all probability be scared sh!tless! lol...but we all were!

And if you decide not to have them...you will probably have twinges of regret somewhere down the line.

But no matter what you decide..you will ultimately be happy...because you stopped to think about it which many people do not bother to do.

so kudos to you for really thinking about what you're doing. You will make a wonderful parent one day if thats your choice.

AOS

02/25/08 sent AOS packet

02/26/08 packet received chicago lockbox

03/03/08 NOA(I-485,I765,I131)for daughter and myself

03/09/08 received biometrics appointment letter

03/25/08 RFE recieved for NOA for I129F(USCIS lost it! DOH!)

03/25/08 RFE sent

03/26/08 biometrics appointment(YAY!)

03/26/08 EAD touched(for daughter and myself)

03/28/08 EAD touch again!

04/03/08 RFE received case processing resumes

04/29/08 request AP expedited

05/01/08 AP sent out

05/02/08 case transfered to CSC

05/02/08 EAD card production ordered

05/05/08 EAD card production ordered again

05/10/08 EAD card received

05/16/08 AOS touched

05/18/08 AOS touched again!

06/11/08 AOS card production ordered!

06/16/08 green card received in mail!!

no more USCIS for almost 2 years!!

ROC

04/07/10 sent I-751 to VSC

04/09/10 NOA recieved

04/13/10 cheque cashed

05/17/10 early biometrics

06/29/10 card production ordered

07/10/10 card received

Timeline

Oh I forgot to add, here are more questions to consider:

-What is your lifestyle and living/household situation?

-Are you ready to handle any challenges and potential problems that may occur while parenting?

-What is your financial/economic sitiation (lol..grant it, you don't need a million dollars, but you do need some sort of money set aside for child-related expenses...lol...diapers don't come cheaply!)

-What is your health and age? (for example, there are more risks for women over a certain age to have children, and can result in risks for the baby too)

-What is your social situation? Who do you hang out with?

-How do you see yourself with children and without children?

-Can you see yourself putting your children first, above all else?

-Can you give your children the most important thing of all: unconditional love...

etc.

Lol..I'll write more later.....

But I hope this gives you more to think about too.....;)

Ant

Please don't.

Donne moi une poptart!

Please don't.

Why not?

Children are important, after all..:)

Ant

Really....People should think carefully before they have children.....

And make sure that this is the decision for them, that's all....

After all, the children don't have a choice as to whether or not they want to exist......

So it is up to the parents to make the best decision in this matter..

If one has children...fine..

If one doesn't have children...fine...

But the important thing is that the children are happy and loved, no matter what...:)

Ant

Timeline

Why not?

Children are important, after all..:)

Ant

No I was asking you to not "post more"

Enough of your long winded mundane answers filled with emoticons and Lol's.

Seriously! Enough already!

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

No I was asking you to not "post more"

Enough of your long winded mundane answers filled with emoticons and Lol's.

Seriously! Enough already!

Lol...You don't have to read it.....

If others want to read it...fine.....

Lol...:):):):):):):):):)....Sending smileys to all you VJers out there!!!

Ant

Timeline

I am not the only one who feels this way. I'm just the only one who'll tell you the truth.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.