Rose416

Health Insurance

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I have been in California for nearly one month now and am without health insurance. My husband works for a non-profit and has great benefits. Unfortunately, we would have to pay high fees to have me included in the coverage, being that it is a charity.

I am looking for emergency coverage from now until I get a job (hopefully soon!) On-line research into Emergency Medicaid (Medi-Cal, in California), has left me very confused. I am young, and healthy, so my only real concern is being covered in case of a medical emergency.

If anyone can offer any advice or personal experiences with emergency Medi-Cal I would be so grateful! Or if anyone has any knowledge of private insurance companies offering temporary coverage to new immigrants, feel free to post!

AOS

POE @ Toronto Pearson - 08/12/10

Civil Ceremony - 08/27/10

Applied for SSN in married name - 09/06/10 (I was told it will take 4 weeks to get the background check cleared and an additional 2 weeks to receive my card)

AOS/EAD/AP sent with FedEx - 09/25/10

E-Notice From Chicago - 10/05/10

I-797C, NOA1 Received - 10/08/10

SSN card received (FINALLY!)- 10/23/10

Biometrics appointment - 10/28/10

EAD Approved - 11/19/10 (USCIS Website Notice)

AP Approved & Received - 11/22/10

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Interview - 02/07/11 APPROVED!

I am now a U.S. Permanent Resident!!

My K1 Journey can be found on the 'About Me' page

Filed: Other Timeline

Medicaid is a means tested benefit. You do not qualify until you are at least a Green Card holder for 5 years. If you have a medical emergency and find yourself in the ER, the good doctors and nurses will treat you until your condition approves, but they will send you the bill afterward and it will make you sick to your stomach.

I'm without medical insurance for several years now, as I can't afford the $20K plus payments each year. I follow the republicans' advice: don't get sick. I eat healthy, ride my bicycles, and don't engage in anything risky anymore. The $1,000 plus I 'save' per month I will use once I need to see the good doctor by paying cash, hopefully at a huge discount.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

you can get catastrophe insurance. that is usually about $50 a month, and covers nothing unless you have a big accident. then when you do end up in an ER, they drop you, and you fight for 1 year to get them to cover the bill. the usual.

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello,

I have been in California for nearly one month now and am without health insurance. My husband works for a non-profit and has great benefits. Unfortunately, we would have to pay high fees to have me included in the coverage, being that it is a charity.

I am looking for emergency coverage from now until I get a job (hopefully soon!) On-line research into Emergency Medicaid (Medi-Cal, in California), has left me very confused. I am young, and healthy, so my only real concern is being covered in case of a medical emergency.

If anyone can offer any advice or personal experiences with emergency Medi-Cal I would be so grateful! Or if anyone has any knowledge of private insurance companies offering temporary coverage to new immigrants, feel free to post!

There are dozens of companies that offer temporary insurance to new immigrants. Do a google search for 'medical insurance immigrant'. You can spend hours shopping. How much you'll pay depends on what you want. "Major Medical" is a lot cheaper, but only covers serious problems, and not routine doctor visits. Policies with a lower deductible or higher cap will cost more. Shop and compare.

Also, any emergency room at any hospital in the state of California is required by law to treat you, regardless of whether you have insurance, are unable to pay, or don't have legal immigration status. However, if your condition is not life threatening then they will usually transfer you to the county hospital for treatment. Personally, if I had the option of being treated at a county hospital or dying, I think I'd choose death. :whistle:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Just wanted to let you know this, as it may help you out for finding insurance. Your Canadian provincial health Insurace counts as previous coverage. This is important because some companies won't insure you if you didn't have previous coverage before moving to the States. Look into Humana. They have several individual options at all expense levels and are not fly by night insurance company. Hope this helps you out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.