8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've noticed that some peeps get called for an interview, and some peeps do not. Is this a random thing or a 'you colored in the wrong box and therefore we flagged you' kind of thing?

I'm just curious :hehe:

Edited for spelling because hukd on foniks werkd 4 me!

Edited by Chickaflick

[img]http://davf.daisypath.com/bOLvm4.png[/img]

31.03.2010- I129F Filed (K1/K2)
02.09.2010- Interview - VAN - [color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
18.09.2010- POE Edmonton-Atlanta
01.10.2010- Civil Wedding in GA! <3
04.29.2011- AOS Filed (K1/K2)
09.19.2011- EAD Approved
10.24.2011- AOS - ATL Interview -[color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
11.02.2011- Green Cards for us!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Generally speaking most K-1s do not get called for an interview. Their applications are forwarded to the California Service Center and generally approved without an interview. There are a few cases where the file is returned to the local office for an interview but that is usually if there are some red flags that show up in the evidence. I suspect that they may also need to interview a specific number of applicants for statistical purposes, much as they do for the I-751 (Removal of Conditions) applications.

Most applicants applying from non-K-1 visas seem to have an interview.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

It seems to be primarily based on how busy your local USCIS office is, vs. how busy the California Service Centre is. If the CSC is less busy than your local office, your case will get transferred there, so it can be adjudicated as quickly as possible, and you will in all likelihood not get an interview.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fabuloso!

[img]http://davf.daisypath.com/bOLvm4.png[/img]

31.03.2010- I129F Filed (K1/K2)
02.09.2010- Interview - VAN - [color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
18.09.2010- POE Edmonton-Atlanta
01.10.2010- Civil Wedding in GA! <3
04.29.2011- AOS Filed (K1/K2)
09.19.2011- EAD Approved
10.24.2011- AOS - ATL Interview -[color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
11.02.2011- Green Cards for us!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I heard that theory about the chances of getting an interview were based on how busy your local USCIS field office was. Back in June I decided to check, and according to the USCIS online processing times the field office in San Francisco (the nearest to our home) was currently processing I-485's filed in January. With a backlog like that I figured we were a cinch to get forwarded to CSC. About a month later we got the interview appointment letter for mid August. I guess they weren't as far behind as the online system indicated.

I've also heard the theory that potential red flags in your case increase your chances of getting an interview. I didn't know of any specific red flags in our case, other than the fact that there were three AOS applications; a K1 and two K2's, and the K2's were both over 18 (but under 21). Given that the "backlog" theory didn't pan out for us, I figured we were probably in for a serious interrogation, especially as we had three different interview appointments on the same day, but I really wasn't sure what stood out in our case that warranted being picked for an interview.

Well, they ended up interviewing all of us at the same time, and it was a cakewalk. The IO wanted to see everyone's passport and birth certificate, asked if anyone was working or had left the US, and looked with amusement through the three photo albums we brought. At the end, she said "Do you have anything else for me?". I said "Yeah, I've got this other stuff, like bank statements, insurance EOB's, letters, bills, whatnot". She said "Can I keep this?". I said "Yeah", and she stuffed it all into the file without looking at any of it. Then she gave us the approval letter. There were no tough questions of any kind.

If your local office is backlogged then it might increase your chances of getting sent to CSC. If you've got red flags then it might increase your chances of an interview. Personally, I think a percentage of cases are just chosen at random for an interview, and we happened to get picked. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My wife had to check the box on the I-485 stating that she has been detained by an officer, and was required to submit proof that she was never charged.

Coincidence that we were chosen for an interview? ..I was expecting one. We live in Southern California, by the way.

........January 2009: Michael & Leanne got engaged! t4527.gif

........May 26, 2009: Filed I-129F!

...Februay 04, 2010: Michael attended interview with Leanne... APPROVED!!!!!!!!

.......April 14, 2010: Wedding on the sand at Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point, CA :D

........July 06, 2010: Mailed AOS package

........July 08, 2010: Received in Chicago

........July 14, 2010: Check was cashed

........July 15, 2010: Received text & email that app. was received

........July 17, 2010: Received NOA1 dated 7-14-10, our 3-month wedding anniversary :)

........July 19, 2010: "Touch"..biometrics appt. letter mailed (I-485 & I-765)

.....August 02, 2010: Biometrics appointment

.....August 03, 2010: "Touch" on I-485 & I-765

.....August 11, 2010: Notice of Interview date

.....August 26, 2010: Touches on I-131 & I-765, production of EAD card ordered

.....August 31, 2010: I-131 Travel Doc. approved, EAD production ordered (again)

September 04, 2010: Received EAD card & AP Documents in the mail! (both dated 8/26)

September 20, 2010: AOS Interview...APPROVED!!!

usabig.gifbig_heart_beating.gifukbig.gif

Timeline

It seems to be primarily based on how busy your local USCIS office is, vs. how busy the California Service Centre is. If the CSC is less busy than your local office, your case will get transferred there, so it can be adjudicated as quickly as possible, and you will in all likelihood not get an interview.

i call bs on that LOL.

but in all seriousness, it seems the majority of people who get xfered to CSC do not have interviews. either way it's just to show your co-mingling your lives finances etc ..that you really are married.

HWDWm6.png

It's really a double-edged sword. First, I heard that ALL California cases DO NOT get sent to the CSC (Now that is counter-intuitive, isn't it?) :blink:

Second, many CSC cases have gotten "lost in the shuffle" or "sent down a black hole" and the petitioner and beneficiary just wait and wait and wait.....

So, at least by getting assigned an interview date, you have a "guarantee" of something happening on that date. And more often than not, you get approved for a GC.

Cheers and patience to all those still waiting! :D

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.