Arazia

Preliminary Questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Greetings,

A little background before I go into questions:

My boyfriend and I have been friends for nearly three years now, although we got together as a couple last fall. He's 19 and I'm 25. He lives in the Netherlands and I live in the United States. The separation has been really hard on us, especially after he spent most of the summer here with me. He loves it here in this country, and neither of us really wanted him to go back. I'm sure you've all been there.

So, my questions are this:

- Do you think the age difference might be a hinderance at all to getting this kind of Visa?

- I've read about having to proove that we've met. Can you -only- use the methods listed on this website? Do aphadavids from family and friends help? We have pictures of us together, but nowhere really recognisable, and we have passport stamps and he has his boarding passes from the last trip he took out here. Would that be enough?

- How exactly do you go about describing how you met? Do you just tell it in story format or is there some particular way of doing the question 18 add on sheet?

- Question 20 mentions your fiancee' applying for a visa at a consulate. Is this just the name of the consulate that the visa packet will be sent to when it is approved? Does he have to do anything or contact the consulate prior to the packet being sent from NVS?

- For proof of citizenship, do I need an actual original copy of my birth certificate (with colored stamp) or can a photocopy be used?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually start compiling the information for the 129F form, but I wanted to clear some things up in my own mind first. Thank you in advance for your help and support, it is highly appreciated.

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Paraguay
Timeline
Greetings,

A little background before I go into questions:

My boyfriend and I have been friends for nearly three years now, although we got together as a couple last fall. He's 19 and I'm 25. He lives in the Netherlands and I live in the United States. The separation has been really hard on us, especially after he spent most of the summer here with me. He loves it here in this country, and neither of us really wanted him to go back. I'm sure you've all been there.

So, my questions are this:

- Do you think the age difference might be a hinderance at all to getting this kind of Visa?

- I've read about having to proove that we've met. Can you -only- use the methods listed on this website? Do aphadavids from family and friends help? We have pictures of us together, but nowhere really recognisable, and we have passport stamps and he has his boarding passes from the last trip he took out here. Would that be enough?

- How exactly do you go about describing how you met? Do you just tell it in story format or is there some particular way of doing the question 18 add on sheet?

- Question 20 mentions your fiancee' applying for a visa at a consulate. Is this just the name of the consulate that the visa packet will be sent to when it is approved? Does he have to do anything or contact the consulate prior to the packet being sent from NVS?

- For proof of citizenship, do I need an actual original copy of my birth certificate (with colored stamp) or can a photocopy be used?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually start compiling the information for the 129F form, but I wanted to clear some things up in my own mind first. Thank you in advance for your help and support, it is highly appreciated.

I don't think age will be a hindrance. You are both of legal age (over 18) and there have been couples with much bigger age differences that have been approved.

I'm not sure the afidavits are valid. I think the picture and definitely the passport stamps will be bigger sources of evidence. We relied on my passport stamps and only submitted one photo and we never got an RFE (well, except for IMBRA).

To describe how you met, try to avoid too many mushy details...just the facts will do. You met on ___ date and describ the circumstances, and have seen each other this many times, for this amount of times, have been together for x number of years. My answer was just a short paragraph. Because there's not really enough room on the I-129F, you add a supplement to the form. I put "see supplement, attached sheet at end of application" on the answer line.

He does not need to contact the consulate. In my case I called the consulate to see if it was there and they said he could come pick it up whenever. Some consulates will mail you the packet. Perhaps you call call a few days after it was sent out and see what the embassy tells you. Also, check out their website and see what you can find. http://netherlands.usembassy.gov/

For citizenship you can use a birth certificate copy or complete copy of your US passport. You don't send the originals.

Hope this helps some!

Also don't forget to check out the guides!

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide - this helps you with the actual application

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow - and this takes you through the whole k-1 visa process

Edited by neptune970

May 2nd - Sent I-129F to Vermont

May 13th - NOA1

June 23rd - recieved RFE (IMBRA)

June 24th - Sent back RFE

June 27th - 7 touches

June 30th - touched

July 3rd - touched

July 10th - NOA2 notice via email

July 14th - NOA2 via snail mail

July 14th - petition mailed thru DHL to Asuncion, PY

Week of July 17th - Embassy received my petition

July 24th - beneficiary receives packet 3

July 27th - medical exam

Aug 7th - interview - approved :)

Aug 11th - picked up his visa

Aug 21st - purchased plane ticket!

Aug 30th - reunion day :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

No, the examples provided by the site aren't the only ones that could be used. Send them pictures of you guys (date them on the back) and definitely the visa stamps and tickets he has. I think statements from family/friends would be helpful too. Also, you can include receipts he's gotten - credit card bills, for example.

We did as neptune described. Just a short paragraph including how/when/where you've met. My fiance just said we've met online and how it then escalated to our meeting in person. Be sure to include evidence that substantiates the story.

You include the name of the consulate that will handle his petition. For example, in Brazil, there are several consulates (and, of course, the embassy) but only the consulate in Rio deals with immigration visas (a K1 is a nonimmigrant visa, but is processed as if it were). Even if my fiance stated in the petition that we wanted the visa to be processed by the consulate in the city I live in, they'd send it to the one responsible for it.

A photocopy would be enough.

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Thank you both for the response. Unfortunately we're a little strapped on some types of evidence for the meeting. While we have the passport stamps, and the boarding passes and visa waver from his most recent trip here, my trip to see him is largely undocumented. It was tossed during a massive spring cleaning. I may have a hotel bill from that month though, so maybe I can pull that out. Would a frequent flier miles page showing a flight from Chicago to Amsterdam in February be good enough as a suppliment to the passport stamp?

Anyways, I'll be speaking with my boyfriend about things over the next few days, and hopefully you'll hear more from us soon. I am a bit worried as it seems that the Nebraska Service Center (which serves my area) forwards to the California Service Center that everyone seems to be complaining about. Oh well, we'll just have to see. I kind of want to have things go through the first time without having to go through RFEs.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thank you both for the response. Unfortunately we're a little strapped on some types of evidence for the meeting. While we have the passport stamps, and the boarding passes and visa waver from his most recent trip here, my trip to see him is largely undocumented. It was tossed during a massive spring cleaning. I may have a hotel bill from that month though, so maybe I can pull that out. Would a frequent flier miles page showing a flight from Chicago to Amsterdam in February be good enough as a suppliment to the passport stamp?

Anyways, I'll be speaking with my boyfriend about things over the next few days, and hopefully you'll hear more from us soon. I am a bit worried as it seems that the Nebraska Service Center (which serves my area) forwards to the California Service Center that everyone seems to be complaining about. Oh well, we'll just have to see. I kind of want to have things go through the first time without having to go through RFEs.

The frequent flier miles page you mentioned would be good evidence. Also, you don't have to document any and all meetings you've had - you certainly can do that though, if you think you have enough evidence. You just have to send them evidence that you've met within the past 2 years. So, if you say you've met last summer, submit evidence of such meeting and describe it shortly when answering Question 18.

As for CSC (California Service Center), there's nothing you can do about it. So... gather everything to send out the petition, do your share. And hope things start moving faster at CSC. :)

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I found these hints here on visajourney and we did and i think it helped:

"hightlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies"

our photos: we wrote our names, date and locations on the back of every photo and placed them in a plastic sheet.

we put all forms, attachments (indicating the form and question) and copies of documents and evidences, our passport style photos (with our name on the back of the photos and each photo inside a plastic photo bag with a label with our names written) and our photos of us together (as said above).

they are some details that can help a lot.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi, your age difference is totally fine. If you are over 18 you can decide for yourself. My fiance is 8 years older than I am and we had no problems at all getting the K1 visa.

Good luck on your journey.

v34h.jpg

LhJUm4.png

pf2Rm4.png

7gOjm4.png?2CQ9jiXQ

Met on October 18, 1996 in a bar called "Calypso" in Richmond, Virginia, during my Au-Pair year

View complete Timeline:

Quick Facts:
02/23/2006 - sent I 129 to VSC (first step done!) 07/13/2006 - received Visa!
09/22/2006 - civil marriage in New York City
10/05/2006 - sent AOS papers to VSC
12/11/2006 - Welcome Letter and GREEN CARD in Mail!!!!!! Lets' party!!!!!
09/24/2008 - sent Removal of conditions package to VSC
07/02/2009 - received 10 year Green Card! YEAH!!!!! Finally!
2014 - Citizenship

Timeline

I have a few more questions to ask, if that's alright, rather than making another topic:

My boyfriend and I have plans for him to come visit in December for the holidays. This will definitely be after we submit our I-129F. He will only be staying for a few weeks. This is okay, right? I also figure this wouldn't be too much of a problem as I doubt he will even have had his interview by that point. What should we do if by some freak chance he actually has his interview by that point in time?

Hi, your age difference is totally fine. If you are over 18 you can decide for yourself. My fiance is 8 years older than I am and we had no problems at all getting the K1 visa.

Good luck on your journey.

Be careful when giving this type of advice for other countries. 18 is not the age when you can decide for yourself to get married in all countries.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Hi and welcome to VJ!

About your hotel receipt ... if you did indeed throw it out during spring cleaning, you can try calling the hotel you stayed at to get a copy sent to you. I did this as well for our petition.

Good luck!

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

HI AZARIA

I dont believe the age difference matter until u know each other and love each other but to the counselor officer it have to be proved that your relation is true and purely purely love then i dont think there will be any hurdle i feel LOVE MATTERS NOT THE NUMBERS MATTERS

Filed: Other Timeline

You only need to prove you have met once in the last 2 years. Proof from other journeys is only gravy. When you describe how you met you can list your travel dates and if you have some documentation from each visit send it.

You will need an original birth certificate for yourself. You will however just send a copy to file the K1.

The age difference is your case is probably insignificant.

Please read the K-1 guides. That should help you.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.