AllisonB

Does anyone have experience with an illegal immigrant fiancee?

23 posts in this topic

Thanks, guys!

That forum and site seem to have more info like I'm looking for.

If your fiancee walked across the border and their is no document of him being here, then he should simply walk back (if at all possible). No document of him entering or leaving is better than him being documented and leaving. Waivers are difficult and slow

Once he is in Brazil, get married, apply for K3 and come to US and adjust status. By getting a marriage license, it shows ur intent is to marry. So why not just get married and apply K3. I dont knwo why people are waiting for K1s. K1s take longer than K3 and just more hassle.

Getting good legal advise is good but remember attorneys often have the habit of complicating cases.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks, guys!

If your fiancee walked across the border and their is no document of him being here, then he should simply walk back (if at all possible). No document of him entering or leaving is better than him being documented and leaving. Waivers are difficult and slow

Once he is in Brazil, get married, apply for K3 and come to US and adjust status. By getting a marriage license, it shows ur intent is to marry. So why not just get married and apply K3. I dont knwo why people are waiting for K1s. K1s take longer than K3 and just more hassle.

Getting good legal advise is good but remember attorneys often have the habit of complicating cases.

Regarding the bolded text above... When did a K-1 start taking longer than a K-3? I was under the impression and been told by others that the K-1 route was quicker.

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sheraz, be careful with your advice, mostly because what you are suggesting could cause serious problems. Her fiance has been in the US for two years. There are definitely records and documentation of his life here, not to mention that he would have absolutely no way to provide proof of having spent the past two years living in Brazil such the employment and address information that is requested on the biographic forms for the beneficiary.

A much bigger issue is that the petitioner signs the I-129F or I-130 and swears, under penalty of perjury, that the information provided is true and correct. There is also up to $10,000 fine or imprisonment up to five years, or both, for knowingly and willfully falsifying or concealing a material fact. If you lie on the forms and later it is discovered, deportation with a lifetime ban is the result.

K1s are certainly taking much longer than normal these days so it could be that a K3 is faster. But waiver approval rates there are reasonable and relatively fast compared to other locations.

Thanks, guys!

Regarding the bolded text above... When did a K-1 start taking longer than a K-3? I was under the impression and been told by others that the K-1 route was quicker.

That has usually depended on the service center one had to file the I-129F with, as the NBC where I-129F's for spouse are filed were faster in a lot of cases then I-129F for fiance from eg CSC, TSC or NSC. This of course was happening pre-IMBRA. Now they are about on par with each other in a lot of instances.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Thanks, guys!

K1 is handled by the service center and depends on how much load they have. K3 is handled by the benefits center. If the intention is to marry, with K3, your spouse can come to the US and have green card in one yr or less since you would have had already applied for I130. With K1, bear in mind that you will file I130 after coming to US. This means K1 approval, interview, travel to US etc about 6 to 9 mths and then apply for I130. This means a wait of another 9 mths for I130 approval, then 2 to 3 mths for AOS interview process etc.

According to most recent california service center dates

I130 PROCESSING FEB 06

I129 F PROCESSING MAR 06

One additonal mth in faster processing could mean more than a yr in receiving green card

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
That has usually depended on the service center one had to file the I-129F with, as the NBC where I-129F's for spouse are filed were faster in a lot of cases then I-129F for fiance from eg CSC, TSC or NSC. This of course was happening pre-IMBRA. Now they are about on par with each other in a lot of instances.

Hmmm... Well, we've still got about 2 months or so to decide on our route so maybe we'll have a better idea on the timeframes once mid October rolls around. Who knows, maybe the CSC (I'm Florida so our K-1 would go Texas > California) will be clear of the backlog and flowing smoothly? Another thing to consider is the benefits and drawbacks of the different routes - maybe more important there than timeframe alone?

As always, thanks for the info! :)

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Since you are not married now, and if you are not planning to get married before October, chances are pretty good that the IMBRA fiasco will cleared up by then. The best advice would be to keep paying attention to the current timelines to see if K1 approvals are moving along. We have seen June I-129 filers with approvals already.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
K1 is handled by the service center and depends on how much load they have. K3 is handled by the benefits center. If the intention is to marry, with K3, your spouse can come to the US and have green card in one yr or less since you would have had already applied for I130. With K1, bear in mind that you will file I130 after coming to US. This means K1 approval, interview, travel to US etc about 6 to 9 mths and then apply for I130. This means a wait of another 9 mths for I130 approval, then 2 to 3 mths for AOS interview process etc.

According to most recent california service center dates

I130 PROCESSING FEB 06

I129 F PROCESSING MAR 06

One additonal mth in faster processing could mean more than a yr in receiving green card

1: There is NO guarantee that a K-3 would have their Green Card inside of a year. A K-3 must either file AOS and get in line with every other type of AOS case in their District or let their immigrant visa processing complete and return to the home country for an IV.

Some Districts take up to three years to complete an AOS case.

2: A K-1 in no way, shape or form completes an I-130. Even if they did, it would be filed concurrently with the AOS application. Concurrent filers do not file i-130 and wait for approval of I-130 before filing I-485---everything happens in one filing/adjudication.

As noted, the above is dangerous advice. Take it with a grain of salt.

Many things can be forgiven by USCIS and DOS, but lying is not one of them.

Hmmm... Well, we've still got about 2 months or so to decide on our route so maybe we'll have a better idea on the timeframes once mid October rolls around. Who knows, maybe the CSC (I'm Florida so our K-1 would go Texas > California) will be clear of the backlog and flowing smoothly? Another thing to consider is the benefits and drawbacks of the different routes - maybe more important there than timeframe alone?

As always, thanks for the info! :)

Rob,

Another factor when your loved one is overseas is what it takes to get married. If you have two months to decide, to make a fair comparison, you'd have to be married to know which is faster, which wouldn't tell you anything since you'd not know how fast a fiance petition would go at that point! :)

I have never seen a case where someone got their loved on to the US *faster* than a K-1 with the exception of DCF cases (rare). You have to go there, get married, file the I-130, wait for the receipt, file I-129f. Add the difficulty factor of getting married in your particular foriegn country.

There are no 'backlogs'. This is typical CIS work balancing---a lack of 'backlog' would presume that there was some time when there was zero wait?

The primary benefit difference between a K-1 and K-3 is the travel re-entry permission (K-3 gets it, K-1 doesn't).

I don't know, usually I'd think one would go for the visa that they are qualified for. ie, you're not married, get the K-1 visa. Getting married abroad, unless done for its own reasons, won't typically speed a case up.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.