brykit

SSN before getting married?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Is there any special reason to apply for a SSN card before my fiance and I get married? In Texas, a SSN is not required to get married so I think it would be best to get married and then apply for the SSN once we have the marriage certificate and her name is officially changed. Any thoughts that I'm over looking?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Is there any special reason to apply for a SSN card before my fiance and I get married? In Texas, a SSN is not required to get married so I think it would be best to get married and then apply for the SSN once we have the marriage certificate and her name is officially changed. Any thoughts that I'm over looking?

I was just about to ask the same question lol as I thought we can do it after we are married and my name is changed to my husbands. But I nned one for the bank accounts i my problem as my account now is as an alien non resident so money is just sitting there doing nothing . I thought i would do it as soon as we get married.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If the foreign beneficiary is a female, and if she chooses to take her US citizen husband's family name when they are married, then it's possible it can cause problems at the Social Security office. Some people have been given a hard time because the name they are using to apply for the Social Security number doesn't match the name on the visa or in their computer system. Much depends on how obstinate and boneheaded the bureaucrat at the Social Security office decides to be. One VJ couple was jacked around so long that they missed their window of opportunity to obtain a Social Security number, and ended up having to wait until they got the EAD.

Once you get a Social Security number it's relatively simple to get a new card issued with the new name after marriage. The concept of a name change after marriage is something most Social Security clerks can wrap their tiny minds around.

In any case, many people do wait until after the marriage to file the initial application, and haven't had problems. I've only seen a handful who've had trouble.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If the foreign beneficiary is a female, and if she chooses to take her US citizen husband's family name when they are married, then it's possible it can cause problems at the Social Security office. Some people have been given a hard time because the name they are using to apply for the Social Security number doesn't match the name on the visa or in their computer system. Much depends on how obstinate and boneheaded the bureaucrat at the Social Security office decides to be. One VJ couple was jacked around so long that they missed their window of opportunity to obtain a Social Security number, and ended up having to wait until they got the EAD.

Once you get a Social Security number it's relatively simple to get a new card issued with the new name after marriage. The concept of a name change after marriage is something most Social Security clerks can wrap their tiny minds around.

In any case, many people do wait until after the marriage to file the initial application, and haven't had problems. I've only seen a handful who've had trouble.

Thankyou Jim sounds good to me and so glad I am not the only one who thinks government clerks have tiny minds lol thanks again

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.