Angel6677

Documents to bring to the interview (help please)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi everyone,

So I got the yellow letter indicating I needed to bring some documents to the interview.

I already have most of them but I'm struggling with the last one which is:

An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no charges were filed.

The reason they're asking me for that is because I declared I was detained once but charges were not files. Ok, so this is what happened, I was detained at the airport in Atlanta by Immigration and they canceled my B1/B2 visa at that time saying I came back into the country within 6 months. To make it short, they said they wouldn't charge files against me.

So my question is How do I get the certified statement from USCIS?? they were the ones who detained me right? I live in Colorado but that happened in Atlanta.

When I submitted my application for my green card, I had a lawyer helping me with all this. Now, he's not practicing anymore and he moved, but at that time he looked into that incident and he confirmed that there were not files charged against me.

I really will appreciate if anybody can guide me into what to do. I'm clueless about this document, I was thinking on just going to the local police station and ask for police record but Im not sure if that's what I need.

My interview is next month and I dont know how much time it will take to obtain this document.

Thanks for any help,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

So I got the yellow letter indicating I needed to bring some documents to the interview.

I already have most of them but I'm struggling with the last one which is:

An official, certified statement from the arresting agency or applicable court indicating that no charges were filed.

The reason they're asking me for that is because I declared I was detained once but charges were not files. Ok, so this is what happened, I was detained at the airport in Atlanta by Immigration and they canceled my B1/B2 visa at that time saying I came back into the country within 6 months. To make it short, they said they wouldn't charge files against me.

So my question is How do I get the certified statement from USCIS?? they were the ones who detained me right? I live in Colorado but that happened in Atlanta.

When I submitted my application for my green card, I had a lawyer helping me with all this. Now, he's not practicing anymore and he moved, but at that time he looked into that incident and he confirmed that there were not files charged against me.

I really will appreciate if anybody can guide me into what to do. I'm clueless about this document, I was thinking on just going to the local police station and ask for police record but Im not sure if that's what I need.

My interview is next month and I dont know how much time it will take to obtain this document.

Thanks for any help,

Not even familiar with this law, if there is such a law, while dating, my wife came back within six months with a B1/B2 visa with absolutely no problems. They stripped searched her once, no reason to report that, was before she became a LPR, and they found nothing on her that was illegal, they strip search just about everybody.

Did they take your visa away and put you on a plane to send you back? If so, how did you get another visa? Nothing is making sense here.

Timeline

Hi NickD,

they canceled my B1/B2 visa (it used to be valid for 10 years), they did send me back but I used my flight ticket for that, that's why they didn't charge files. They said I had to go back and get another type of visa (like that is something easy to do).

Anyways, I came back with a k-1 visa, got my green card and now Im applying for my citizenship.

I think I'm going to have to ask a lawyer about this document. I would think if there's something in my record, it would show when we do the biometrics thing. I mean that info comes from the fbi database right?..

I just want to make sure I have everything they ask. I'm afraid the will say something the day of my interview.

I wonder if anyone has had an experience like this.

thanks for any info..

ps. the 1-800 number is a joke because I spent around 40 mins and no help whatsoever. I guess since it's a specific matter, it's hard to get it covered in their menus :)

Hi NickD,

they canceled my B1/B2 visa (it used to be valid for 10 years), they did send me back but I used my flight ticket for that, that's why they didn't charge files. They said I had to go back and get another type of visa (like that is something easy to do).

Anyways, I came back with a k-1 visa, got my green card and now Im applying for my citizenship.

I think I'm going to have to ask a lawyer about this document. I would think if there's something in my record, it would show when we do the biometrics thing. I mean that info comes from the fbi database right?..

I just want to make sure I have everything they ask. I'm afraid the will say something the day of my interview.

thanks for any info..

ps. the 1-800 number is a joke because I spent around 40 mins and no help whatsoever. I guess since it's a specific matter, it's hard to get it covered in their menus :)

Contact the CBP at the airport you were detained - there's normally their number listed on the airport website.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi NickD,

thanks for any info..

Not an attorney by no means, but just seems to be an incident that wasn't worth reporting where you may have encountered some arrogant POE guards or whatever they call them. Wouldn't dare stop my wife for a strip search when I was with her. You really weren't detained, just not admitted and as a tourist. In another light, tourist are welcomed here to spend their money here, a good part of GNP. Couldn't understand when my wife first came here, couldn't even open a small 500 buck joint checking account due to the APA, but yet half of our major corporations are owned by foreigners. Nothing makes sense anymore. Before Reagan, was against our laws for any foreigners to own our corporations, really hate seeing Sony on any DVD we rent plus all that we are protected by your FBI #######.

Its been a long time since I called that 800 number, was a sequence of numbers you could hit to talk to a live person, not that they know anything.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I wouldnt have reporterd it

It wasn't a detention in connection with an offence committed or suspected - it was just an administrative procedure at the airport.

I went through that device that blows cold air up your trouser keg to see if there are explosive vapours (I know)

I giggled when it went under my arm pits and they hauled me out to be searched in the back room

I don't class that as being detained - its just a security procedure. This visa examination was an admin procedure.

moresheep400100.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

thanks guys,

you're right about not reporting it, what they ask for is if you had any criminal arest but me and my wife weren't sure when filling out the application.

Anyways, I consulted a lawyer who has experience on this and he said something similar, USCBP issues is not part of that. So, according to him, I was denied admission to the states but all that got overruled since I got back into the states with a k-1 visa and became resident.

So his advice is as long as I explained that to the officer in my interview and prove there was no moral character issue, I shouldn't have any problems.

Even if they have an issue with what happened, they will not make a decision at that moment.

I will study for my exam and get everything ready.

thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes :)

Cheers,

Edited by Angel6677

Timeline

thanks guys,

you're right about not reporting a regular procedure but me and my wife weren't sure when filling out the application.

Anyways, I consulted a lawyer who has experience on this and he said something similar. I was denied admission to the states but all that got overruled since I got back into the states with a k-1 visa and became resident.

So his advice is as long as I explained that to the officer in my interview and prove there was no moral character issue, I shouldn't have any problems.

Even if they have an issue with what happened, they will not make a decision at that moment.

I will study for my exam and get everything ready.

thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes :)

Cheers,

yippee onwards and upwards

as long as you tell em 100% accurately and without hesitation if they ask, then it should be no problema. Quick, relaxed, truthful does it every time

Except with the BMI lady at Manchester airport UK - she didn't want me to fly and that was the toughest struggle in 5 years fighting the USCIS. Luckily it was Sunday and her supervisor didn't answer her cell phone so she couldn't get confirmation and she let me fly in the end after 45 mins arguing - but said it was certain the US would refuse entry and send me back and i would be charged a lot ! US border smiled and stamped me and said have a nice time so hah ! to BMI.

I fly Delta on Saturday.

Another couple of months and all that stuff will be a grisly memory.

moresheep400100.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi there,

well, I can finally said I am a US citizen :) :)

I went to my interview yesterday, I got late due to rush hour in the morning, luckily they still accepted my letter.

The questions and test went well. I explained what happened at the Atlanta airport and that was it.

They didnt ask me for all the paperwork they asked me to bring in the yellow letter but oh well, I wont complain..

After my interview, they said there was gonna be a ceremony the same day and asked me if I wanted to come back so I can do the oath and of course I did it..

Anyways, I just wanted to share it with the forum :)

Im going to celebrate now :)

thanks to everyone..

Cheers :)

Timeline

Hi there,

well, I can finally said I am a US citizen :) :)

I went to my interview yesterday, I got late due to rush hour in the morning, luckily they still accepted my letter.

The questions and test went well. I explained what happened at the Atlanta airport and that was it.

They didnt ask me for all the paperwork they asked me to bring in the yellow letter but oh well, I wont complain..

After my interview, they said there was gonna be a ceremony the same day and asked me if I wanted to come back so I can do the oath and of course I did it..

Anyways, I just wanted to share it with the forum :)

Im going to celebrate now :)

thanks to everyone..

Cheers :)

Brill

It's nice when the clouds roll away and it's all ok

You can relax now and stay away from the USCIS !

I will

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Happy to hear it all worked out for you, congratulations! :dance:

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.