Nina~

10 Annoying Thing Non-Car-People Say

49 posts in this topic

10.) "Lamborghinis are the best, all my favorite basketball players drive them"

Why It's Annoying: Sure, and basketball players also spend hundreds of dollars on sneakers. Just because someone famous buys something shouldn't mean it's instantly the best thing since sliced bread. I've got nothing against basketball players, (and almost nothing against Lamborghinis) but just because someone's went out and bought a Gallardo doesn't mean they're doing anything else other than trying to fit in at the club after the game

9.) "Why don't you buy something reliable instead of a sports car?"

Why It's Annoying: Because I wanted a sports car. And who says sports cars aren't reliable? As long as you keep your car well maintained, nearly anything can be reliable. I appreciate having fun while I drive, and don't want to be bored by it.

8.) "(insert car brand/model here) sucks! My (insert family member here) had one in 1975 and it (rusted away/broke down/smelled funny). I'd never buy a new one of those."

Why It's Annoying: I had my wisdom teeth out a few months ago, and it was horrible, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to the dentist ever again. Sometimes you just get stuck with a lemon. Or, alternatively, consider that during however many years have passed since you last owned one, the manufacturer may have improved that car.

7.) "SUVs are saver and better in the snow"

Why It's Annoying: No, car control is safer in the snow. Whether you've got all, four, front, or rear wheel drive, the safest thing is to know how to drive to suit the conditions and having the right tires. Just because your massive truck has the ability to use four wheel drive doesn't give you permission to drive like an idiot in the snow.

6.) "Why would someone pay that much for a car?"

Why It's Annoying: I don't know, why do you pay so much for a fine cigar? Or bottle of wine? Or a handmade watch? Any number of things seem extravagant when you could just go to the convenience store and pick up a $10 bottle of wine or cigar, or a watch from some guy on the street. But if you really want that car, for whatever reason, paying out the nose for it can seem totally worthwhile.

5.) "Wagons are for old people"

Why It's Annoying: Or for people who appreciate having lots of room inside their car, without taking up lots of room outside. When did the wagon become the ride of choice for old folks? And who cares if it is? That just means that if you get one used, it'll have been driven by a little old lady, not some crazy kid.

4.) "Why do you drive that old thing"

Why It's Annoying: The same reason you drive that new thing. I like it. I like feeling more connected to the road, and not having to do my driving through a computer and a million airbags. Also, I don't need a degree in computer science to work on it, and I'd like to think that it's been good to me so far, so why should it stop now?

3.) "Cars are just for getting from point A to point B"

Why It's Annoying: That's cool, we have something in common! I don't find any joy in life's little pleasures either. Look, if you're going to spend some insanely high amount of time behind the wheel of a car during your lifetime, you might as well enjoy it. Make it something fun!

2.) "I never learned to drive a manual."

Why It's Annoying: Sadly, this one comes up far too often. To the uninitiated, it seems simple enough: most cars are automatics. Why bother learning? Well, it's like this: boldly declaring you've never learned how to drive stick is, to us, like saying you just don't care about something we're passionate about. Suitable gearhead responses can include: "I don't care about cooking, so I never learned how to hold a knife" or "I don't care about baseball, so I don't know how to swing a bat.

1.) "It's Just A Car"

Why It's Annoying: Maybe to you. To the enthusiast, it's a way of life. We really enjoy hours in the driveway washing away the road dirt or under the hood trying to find the source of that rattle. We like talking to other like-minded individuals who care about the same things we do. Your car may be "just a car" to you, but to us it's a way of life.

link

These things are only annoying if you're crazy about cars. For people that HAVE a car but only see it as a practical means of living daily lives, I doubt they care if people say these things.

These things are only annoying if you're crazy about cars. For people that HAVE a car but only see it as a practical means of living daily lives, I doubt they care if people say these things.

Hence the title "10 Annoying Thing Non-Car-People Say".

Personally, my biggest pet peeve is #2. One of our friend's wife boasts that she never learned to drive a manual and thinks she is being cute.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Why It's Annoying: No, car control is safer in the snow. Whether you've got all, four, front, or rear wheel drive, the safest thing is to know how to drive to suit the conditions and having the right tires. Just because your massive truck has the ability to use four wheel drive doesn't give you permission to drive like an idiot in the snow.

and if you're stuck in the snow in your front wheel drive hippiemobile, don't look so sad as i go thundering by in my four wheel drive truck.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Hence the title "10 Annoying Thing Non-Car-People Say".

I assumed it meant "people that don't have a car at all" since I've heard those comments from them as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

true. 4 wheel drive just helps you get going. it does not affect steering or stopping. and in some cases, it just gives someone used to a 2 wheel drive a better way to get stuck going where they shouldn't have to begin with.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

1.) "It's Just A Car"

Why It's Annoying: Maybe to you. To the enthusiast, it's a way of life. We really enjoy hours in the driveway washing away the road dirt or under the hood trying to find the source of that rattle. We like talking to other like-minded individuals who care about the same things we do. Your car may be "just a car" to you, but to us it's a way of life.

To me, it's just a car. I want to get where I need to go without ending up at the shop too much. But yeah, I can understand the enthusiast's point of view too. I don't share it, but I do get it.

true. 4 wheel drive just helps you get going. it does not affect steering or stopping. and in some cases, it just gives someone used to a 2 wheel drive a better way to get stuck going where they shouldn't have to begin with.

I tend to see more accidents in the winter involving SUVs than cars. Maybe SUV's make drivers overconfident in driving through snow, and the higher center of gravity makes a rollover more likely.

keTiiDCjGVo

10.) "Lamborghinis are the best, all my favorite basketball players drive them"

Why It's Annoying: Sure, and basketball players also spend hundreds of dollars on sneakers. Just because someone famous buys something shouldn't mean it's instantly the best thing since sliced bread. I've got nothing against basketball players, (and almost nothing against Lamborghinis) but just because someone's went out and bought a Gallardo doesn't mean they're doing anything else other than trying to fit in at the club after the game

9.) "Why don't you buy something reliable instead of a sports car?"

Why It's Annoying: Because I wanted a sports car. And who says sports cars aren't reliable? As long as you keep your car well maintained, nearly anything can be reliable. I appreciate having fun while I drive, and don't want to be bored by it.

8.) "(insert car brand/model here) sucks! My (insert family member here) had one in 1975 and it (rusted away/broke down/smelled funny). I'd never buy a new one of those."

Why It's Annoying: I had my wisdom teeth out a few months ago, and it was horrible, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to the dentist ever again. Sometimes you just get stuck with a lemon. Or, alternatively, consider that during however many years have passed since you last owned one, the manufacturer may have improved that car.

6.) "Why would someone pay that much for a car?"

Why It's Annoying: I don't know, why do you pay so much for a fine cigar? Or bottle of wine? Or a handmade watch? Any number of things seem extravagant when you could just go to the convenience store and pick up a $10 bottle of wine or cigar, or a watch from some guy on the street. But if you really want that car, for whatever reason, paying out the nose for it can seem totally worthwhile.

5.) "Wagons are for old people"

Why It's Annoying: Or for people who appreciate having lots of room inside their car, without taking up lots of room outside. When did the wagon become the ride of choice for old folks? And who cares if it is? That just means that if you get one used, it'll have been driven by a little old lady, not some crazy kid.

I never knew this stereotype existed about stationwagons--and my current ride is one (I did own one earlier, which was a clunker--that was back in my grad-shool days)

4.) "Why do you drive that old thing"

Why It's Annoying: The same reason you drive that new thing. I like it. I like feeling more connected to the road, and not having to do my driving through a computer and a million airbags. Also, I don't need a degree in computer science to work on it, and I'd like to think that it's been good to me so far, so why should it stop now?

3.) "Cars are just for getting from point A to point B"

Why It's Annoying: That's cool, we have something in common! I don't find any joy in life's little pleasures either. Look, if you're going to spend some insanely high amount of time behind the wheel of a car during your lifetime, you might as well enjoy it. Make it something fun!

2.) "I never learned to drive a manual."

Why It's Annoying: Sadly, this one comes up far too often. To the uninitiated, it seems simple enough: most cars are automatics. Why bother learning? Well, it's like this: boldly declaring you've never learned how to drive stick is, to us, like saying you just don't care about something we're passionate about. Suitable gearhead responses can include: "I don't care about cooking, so I never learned how to hold a knife" or "I don't care about baseball, so I don't know how to swing a bat.

rubbing-in salt here; it took me (trained on auto in 1981--and had driven auto for about 14 years) only a few days to learn how to drive stick (and I didn't stall the car either; some rough turns due to downshifting to first from high, before I learned to downshift only to third for "rolling" turns)

1.) "It's Just A Car"

link

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

My 4WD SUV is better in the snow than the compacts I've driven in the past.

About a month ago, I was taking a right turn at a light and didn't notice some debris on the road (it had just rained and the roads were slick). My RWD started fish-tailing and my life flashed before my eyes, especially since my seat is about as high as the sidewalk. For a minute, I wished I had a 4WD SUV.

1, 3, 4 and 8 -- I hear these ALL the time. I hate modern cars, and want to actually FEEL something while I'm driving. When I'm in a newer car, I end up speeding without realising because I'm so cushioned from the road.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que