^_^

Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

with or without basement?

with basement, not counting garage. with garage it's about 2200.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

5,000 sq. ft. with a 3,000 sq. ft. basement.

DSCN0167.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

Here's how my room looked every morning before my wife arrived and terrorized everything:

DSCN0173.jpg

Nice. My utility bill is actually lower than the 1100sf apartment we were living in. The swimming pool does jack up the water bill a bit but not as much as I expected. My attic is massive I could put my first house inside it.

We just bought at the right time (last Spring). It's far more house than we expected but it was a foreclosure and we plan on staying in it a long time.

Edited by BobandXiaomei

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Originally coming from a place where the houses are huge and an arms-length away from each other, I'm glad these types of houses are on their way out. Nothing wrong w/ getting a larger house out in the country though. We payed relatively nothing for a new 2700 sq ft house out in the country. There's something to be said about living in a rural area. Sure, you don't have as many conveniences, but it's a lot nicer, quieter, and less expensive than a big city. I would hang myself if I lived anywhere near NYC.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Originally coming from a place where the houses are huge and an arms-length away from each other, I'm glad these types of houses are on their way out. Nothing wrong w/ getting a larger house out in the country though. We payed relatively nothing for a new 2700 sq ft house out in the country. There's something to be said about living in a rural area. Sure, you don't have as many conveniences, but it's a lot nicer, quieter, and less expensive than a big city. I would hang myself if I lived anywhere near NYC.

I hear that. My 1st requirement was a place that I could pee outside and not have the cops called. Wifey nixed that one fast. We are where we because of the schools and ethnically diverse neighbors. (and we got a great deal!) We're surrounded by a huge farm/ranch but it ain't the country.

Edited by BobandXiaomei

I got mine, repo, 4600sqft.

mine is 4601sqft

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

I hear that. My 1st requirement was a place that I could pee outside and not have the cops called. Wifey nixed that one fast. We are where we because of the schools and ethnically diverse neighbors. (and we got a great deal!) We're surrounded by a huge farm/ranch but it ain't the country.

laughing.gif I actually wanted to go a lot more rural and live in a house surrounded by the forest, but the wife wanted some neighbors. I would prefer no one for miles, but hey, what can I do? We are in a subdivision surrounded by farms and a forest in a town of about 2k people out in SE Wisconsin. Good enough I guess.

How close is too close?

bordering states are too close. In Wisconsin, I'm at an acceptable distance.

Timeline

laughing.gif I actually wanted to go a lot more rural and live in a house surrounded by the forest, but the wife wanted some neighbors. I would prefer no one for miles, but hey, what can I do? We are in a subdivision surrounded by farms and a forest in a town of about 2k people out in SE Wisconsin. Good enough I guess.

bordering states are too close. In Wisconsin, I'm at an acceptable distance.

Man that sounds great.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would hang myself if I lived anywhere near NYC.

I've got a brother like that. He works for the forest service and lives out the middle of the forest. I think I can be comfortable in either a city or a rural area. They both have their pros and cons.

Edited by El Buscador

Timeline

They both have their pros and cons.

Agreed. I guess it just comes down to where you're more comfortable. I kinda like Chicago, but I'm not sure I'd live there again. I've been to NYC (mostly Manhattan) many times on business, and it makes me crazy.

Timeline

I live 40 miles from Manhattan and it drives me nuts too. I like the burbs. The country is pretty but I can't handle living somewhere I can't get Chinese delivery or have to drive more than 10 minutes to get to a grocery store.

Yea, living out in the country means more driving for sure, especially if you don't work at home. I spend more on gas and had to get a more fuel-efficient car for my journey in to work. Driving my Jeep 45 miles one-way into town every day made me want to cry when I filled up my gas tank every few days.