jook

Attorney, visa service? -- asking again for advice

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

With all due respect, I was referring to a past K-1 approval of 2008, if you've read my blog you would have seen that the Ex-fiancé did not leave Brazil before the expiration of her visa, and has never entered the U.S, so "I've had an approval" her interview only lasted 5 minutes. I'm assuming that USCIS issued the RFE because they could not find the waiver letter for the first filing and approval. I know where I stand in 2010, this is an entirely new filing, and I'm going through this all over again with someone new...what were you referring to?

Thanks, I appreciate you comment.

I'm not here to read your blog. I'm here to participate in a discussion begun by the OP. If you used the same service in 2008 and the visa was obtained, then you know what kind of service they provide all the way through. If the service you're recommending was not utilized in 2008, you don't. Regardless, "assuming" is not particularly helpful in these situations.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Interesting banter.

I remember doing the whole K1 myself 12 years ago and, while it was not rocket science, it takes time and patience. Some people don't have the stamina, which may be the case with me at this point. While things have changed since then, the process remains essentially the same. All this discussion is bringing back nightmares of endless waits on hold with the government and being frustrated as heck. In the end, it took about 8 months for my now ex-wife to be granted permission to enter the US. Getting the green card though, was a nightmare. We were awarded the agent from hell for our interview. He was completely arbitrary and seemed to relish in the unmitigated power he had over us. He held up the green card cuz he thought the marriage was a fraud (though he never gave a reason, he simply refused to make a decision and ignored all writings), and we had to get a lawyer. It turns out we did several things on the interview that were a "no no," like holding hands and stuff. We didn't know better.

Anyway, I spoke with the agency 6-12 mentioned several times. I also called an agency that someone recommended by PM. The former wanted $900 and the latter $2100 to get my fiance and 2 kids here. The latter was basically a 1 man operation. While I got a very good impression of him and he was knowledgeable and seemed sincere, i don't believe any service warrants that kind of money. In my opinion, he didn't have any special background that would merit that kind of fee. The former, the one recommended by 6-12, was less intimate and, in the 3 times I called, I spoke with someone different each time. I'm not saying this is a negative; they seemed to be well-organized and capable of getting the job done efficiently.

Still, I haven't made up my mind about which road to take. I'm thinking more and more of an attorney. While someone said I had nothing to worry about my fiance's fairly recent application for a petition, I'm not so sure about that. There's a little more to it than I can say on a public forum.

In any event, different strokes for different folks. The one thing I've learned from this discussion is that outside services and attorneys serve their purpose, though one has to tread carefully. Every case is different.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good morning folks, point well taken however my assumption for the RFE and where the fault may lie I feel is a valid one, since I know that the "waiver" was requested on our end, and has nothing to do with the reputation of the current service that I'm using or my "assumed" in-experience with the K-1 process. Is it so hard to believe that maybe USCIS could have overlooked the one that's there, lost the request out of my file etc? it won't be the first time that someone has gotten information from USCIS telling them that documents were not in their files. Thus far the company that prepared my package has done everything promised, including responding quickly to issues as they arise, and that's what I'm basing my recommendation on. Jook, I wish you luck in your search, and I'll be checking to see where you're at during your journey.

Sincere wishes.

Edited by Six-Twelve

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

while it was not rocket science, it takes time and patience. Some people don't have the stamina, which may be the case with me at this point. While things have changed since then, the process remains essentially the same. All this discussion is bringing back nightmares of endless waits on hold with the government and being frustrated as heck.

Please know that any service or attorney will not alleviate this. Different strokes for different folks. Do as you think is best for you and your case.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

Please know that any service or attorney will not alleviate this. Different strokes for different folks. Do as you think is best for you and your case.

I understand that some people think services and attorneys are worthless and provide virtually no service. While I can't say firsthand, I don't believe that to be true. I don't want to turn this into a contentious discussion. However, services can provide a valuable service in that they make sure all the documents are in order, the one I spoke with DOES purport to fill out the paperwork after being provided the information and some will help with coaching for the interview. For some people, this is helpful while for others, it might not be. I'm sure there are services that do a lousy job and they can do more harm then good. Perhaps that's what turns people off in general to services. A few bad apples...

As for attorneys, if a case is not cut and dry, they obviously serve a purpose in helping with legal matters and again, checking that the paperwork is done properly.

Again, I have no first hand experience dealing with services. However, I base my opinions based on what several others have said and talking to a couple of services and attorneys.

I don't believe outside services should be dismissed so casually and an open mind should be kept.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I understand that some people think services and attorneys are worthless and provide virtually no service. While I can't say firsthand, I don't believe that to be true. I don't want to turn this into a contentious discussion. However, services can provide a valuable service in that they make sure all the documents are in order, the one I spoke with DOES purport to fill out the paperwork after being provided the information and some will help with coaching for the interview. For some people, this is helpful while for others, it might not be. I'm sure there are services that do a lousy job and they can do more harm then good. Perhaps that's what turns people off in general to services. A few bad apples...

As for attorneys, if a case is not cut and dry, they obviously serve a purpose in helping with legal matters and again, checking that the paperwork is done properly.

Again, I have no first hand experience dealing with services. However, I base my opinions based on what several others have said and talking to a couple of services and attorneys.

I don't believe outside services should be dismissed so casually and an open mind should be kept.

I'll say it again, No service or attorney is goind to alleviate the wait and anxiousness one will have with this process. None. That part of the process is all the same and is assured that you will wait. None of them have any special insight or special phone number they can call to help your case along or even provide a status update. None.

Yes they can look over the paperwork and make sure it is filled out correctly. Many here on VJ can also do it themselves because of the VJ Guides and Example Forms and the answers to any silly questions about that that can be obtained on these forums.

Yes many need the extra "crutch" and many many others have successfully done it themselves with no problems.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.