jook

Attorney, visa service? -- asking again for advice

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

After procrastinating for far too long, I am ready to go ahead with the filing process, that is, complete the I-129F and everything else. I received all of the paperwork from my fiance and her children, i.e., G-325A, passports, birth certificates, etc.

I previously asked here about using an attorney. I was convinced that I should do it myself with the assistance of all the helpful people on VJ. However, now that I'm finally starting to get the paperwork together, I'm wondering again if it might be a good idea to at least find a good service. This is not a straightforward application for several reasons:

1. My fiance has 2 children - we plan to have them live with her sister in another state for about 6 months after they arrive in the US. I don't know if that makes a difference. In any event, there's that much more paperwork for me to screw up with the addition of having to file K2's.

2. My fiance previously applied to come to the US via a K1 visa filed by another fiance. The petition was withdrawn about 18 months ago. There's a long story to it; I don't know how relevant it is though.

3. We're both divorced. However, we both have marriage certificates and divorce decrees.

If it was a straightforward application, I wouldn't hesitate to do this on my own. But there seems to be a lot more paperwork as a result of the children and our divorces and I'm find it a bit overwhelming. Much of the paperwork also needs translation, so that only adds to the pile of paperwork. Plus, I'm concerned that her previous K1 application might be frowned upon. For that I know a service can't help and I would need an attorney.

I would really really like to avoid an attorney mostly because of the cost. I would probably only go with one if the sentiment was that my fiance's previous K1 application might necessitate an attorney . If not, I would consider a good service just to help me with the paperwork because, like I said, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming. Any thoughts? Recommendation for a "good" service? Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

After procrastinating for far too long, I am ready to go ahead with the filing process, that is, complete the I-129F and everything else. I received all of the paperwork from my fiance and her children, i.e., G-325A, passports, birth certificates, etc.

I previously asked here about using an attorney. I was convinced that I should do it myself with the assistance of all the helpful people on VJ. However, now that I'm finally starting to get the paperwork together, I'm wondering again if it might be a good idea to at least find a good service. This is not a straightforward application for several reasons:

1. My fiance has 2 children - we plan to have them live with her sister in another state for about 6 months after they arrive in the US. I don't know if that makes a difference. In any event, there's that much more paperwork for me to screw up with the addition of having to file K2's.

2. My fiance previously applied to come to the US via a K1 visa filed by another fiance. The petition was withdrawn about 18 months ago. There's a long story to it; I don't know how relevant it is though.

3. We're both divorced. However, we both have marriage certificates and divorce decrees.

If it was a straightforward application, I wouldn't hesitate to do this on my own. But there seems to be a lot more paperwork as a result of the children and our divorces and I'm find it a bit overwhelming. Much of the paperwork also needs translation, so that only adds to the pile of paperwork. Plus, I'm concerned that her previous K1 application might be frowned upon. For that I know a service can't help and I would need an attorney.

I would really really like to avoid an attorney mostly because of the cost. I would probably only go with one if the sentiment was that my fiance's previous K1 application might necessitate an attorney . If not, I would consider a good service just to help me with the paperwork because, like I said, I'm finding it a bit overwhelming. Any thoughts? Recommendation for a "good" service? Thanks.

I used a "Traditional" attorney a couple of years ago when I filed my first K-1, and he did a great job of getting documents completed, and filing everything on time, he was very efficient, but he was also very expensive...I paid somewhere around $3500.00. So now that I'm processing for another K-1 (the last fiancé' decided she did not want to leave Brazil), I'm using the "Easy Fiancée' Visa" service (listed at the top of the visajourney page), and they did a great job of putting my I-129f package together, everything the last attorney did, but for a fraction of the cost. They'll assign you and your fiancé a website with your own e-mail address, allowing you to go online and upload your evidence of an ongoing relationship: photos, documents etc. directly to them without having to send by snail mail; unless of course you want to...it's your option.

When we received our RFE a couple of weeks ago, I contacted them (Easy Fiancé Visa),and my case worker immediately began working to rectify the problem when I e-mailed a copy of the RFE to her. My suggestion is to at least contact them, review their web site and decide for yourself. I'm satisfied with my choice, because of my work schedule I just did not have the time to sit down and complete the documents, and the other required details. I collected the information requested and sent it in to them. You'll be assigned a case worker who will interview you to determine if you meet the requirements to file for you K-1. The staff there are experienced and some either have immigrations or customs backgrounds...and there is an attorney on site. I live in California, so I was able to visit their office to see how they operate first hand, and I stay in touch regularly.

Good Luck!

Timeline

I used a "Traditional" attorney a couple of years ago when I filed my first K-1, and he did a great job of getting documents completed, and filing everything on time, he was very efficient, but he was also very expensive...I paid somewhere around $3500.00. So now that I'm processing for another K-1 (the last fiancé' decided she did not want to leave Brazil), I'm using the "Easy Fiancée' Visa" service (listed at the top of the visajourney page), and they did a great job of putting my I-129f package together, everything the last attorney did, but for a fraction of the cost. They'll assign you and your fiancé a website with your own e-mail address, allowing you to go online and upload your evidence of an ongoing relationship: photos, documents etc. directly to them without having to send by snail mail; unless of course you want to...it's your option.

When we received our RFE a couple of weeks ago, I contacted them (Easy Fiancé Visa),and my case worker immediately began working to rectify the problem when I e-mailed a copy of the RFE to her. My suggestion is to at least contact them, review their web site and decide for yourself. I'm satisfied with my choice, because of my work schedule I just did not have the time to sit down and complete the documents, and the other required details. I collected the information requested and sent it in to them. You'll be assigned a case worker who will interview you to determine if you meet the requirements to file for you K-1. The staff there are experienced and some either have immigrations or customs backgrounds...and there is an attorney on site. I live in California, so I was able to visit their office to see how they operate first hand, and I stay in touch regularly.

Good Luck!

This might be helpful www.easyfiancevisa.com

Filed: Timeline

Good Luck!

I called them today. I wasn't expecting a fee of $900 for a service. That was after haggling and getting a $200 discount. They charge $695 plus $200 per kid. My fiance has 2 kids. They also offer a limited service for $195 but that covers very little. Can I ask what you paid and if you think it's worth this kind of money? Thanks, glenn

Timeline

I called them today. I wasn't expecting a fee of $900 for a service. That was after haggling and getting a $200 discount. They charge $695 plus $200 per kid. My fiance has 2 kids. They also offer a limited service for $195 but that covers very little. Can I ask what you paid and if you think it's worth this kind of money? Thanks, glenn

I paid the standard service...$695.00 It was worth it for me to use them because of my work schedule. I'm in law enforcement, and right after I returned from Rio last March, the agency that I work for sent me to a lot of training, I was getting home later in the evening which made it even more difficult to sit down a fill out the documents myself, and my fiancé began sending her information that we needed, and wanted updates regarding the application, and when the documents were going to be filed. It was simpler to let someone with the experience and legal resources available to them, put everything together after I handed it over to them. Plus I thought it was very convenient that they provided us with the website and our personal e-mail address so that we could upload all of our evidence to them. I was able to call them from work or training on my cell phone and vise-versa, to verify that everything was received or adequate. I know there will be some VJ'rs out there who will say "this has nothing to do with law" but just recently CSC sent us an RFE that was unwarranted, and it was nice to have an attorney research IMBRA and any other related statutes that the Secretary to Homeland Security uses to determine when a "waiver" is required, including any recent changes that VJ may not be up on.

I filed for someone 2 years ago (approved), but she never used the visa, never entered the US. I had one approval within a 2 year period which has since lapsed, with no other filings previous to the one pending now. It was easier for me to simply e-mail the RFE to them, and within a few days a response letter was prepared for us which we reviewed over the phone after I received it via e-mail, and yes a caveman could have written the "waiver letter" too; but none were available, and after reading some of the example letters on VJ, seeing that there were no real structured templates, I decided to let the company that I was paying to get this done in the first place, do it. Yes sometimes these law firms make mistakes or as some VJ'r have already posted "Will slow the process" I've also read blogs from VJ'rs who have completely botched things up trying to do it on their own, and now need help to correct things, so it is what it is.

At least you'll get a guarantee of service from beginning to end, resources without waiting for someone to read your blog to respond, and who might know or think they know how to help you, which is the last thing you need if you're under the gun for time. Now that things are back on track, we're awaiting a decision for our RFE, I have at least some peace of mind. I think if I had to do it again (God forbid), I'd use the same company to file my documents, and remember, I paid over $3500.00 for an "Immigrations attorney" who did exactly what this company is doing.

I wish you luck in your decision, and your journey through the K-1 process.

Edited by Six-Twelve

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There is no separate filing or forms for the children. You merely list them on the G-325A. Period. Very simple.

If it's been withdrawn, then it is over and there is NO impact on your petition. Stop worrying.

All you need are the certified divorce decrees (plus hers with an English translation. You have all you need.

My thought is that you are worrying for nothing. I did the paperwork myself and we had a child and both had divorces. Piece of cake.

Follow the guides. Follow the Example Forms, they really help. You can do it.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

No, there was no additional charge for the RFE response letter, their job is to assure that you get through the process without any problems. Receiving an RFE is one of the expected obstacles when processing for a visa, and the Visa service is prepared to assist you in providing whatever evidence or documentation that is necessary to complete the process. When I told them that I received the RFE, they simply asked the reason for it, and to forward a copy of the letter (hard copy), when we received it and that they will take care of the rest. This should be one of the questions that you may want to ask them when you talk to them again....find out how much support they'll provide for you with the package that you select.

keep us posted on your progress,

Don

Timeline

Good Luck!

My only comment is that if you paid a service any amount of money to handle the process for you, Why did you receive an RFE? One would think that if they knew what they were doing and really looked at your documents and information, they should have vetted out any concerns prior to having USCIS do that and send you an RFE. Any RFE puts the petition process on hold and actually delays the process.

Did you receive a refund since you received an RFE that maybe they should have caught in the beginning?

Timeline

My only comment is that if you paid a service any amount of money to handle the process for you, Why did you receive an RFE? One would think that if they knew what they were doing and really looked at your documents and information, they should have vetted out any concerns prior to having USCIS do that and send you an RFE. Any RFE puts the petition process on hold and actually delays the process.

Did you receive a refund since you received an RFE that maybe they should have caught in the beginning?

I knew there would be someone that would ask this question :lol: . It had nothing to do with the Visa Service, they did a great job, in fact they are the ones who suggested that we attach the Waiver Letter" to my file. My case worker was immediately alerted to the fact that I had a previous filing with an approval, and requested a copy of those documents. When she received them, we went over the circumstances and she prepared the "waiver letter" after all documents were compiled, the attorney reviewed my package prior to finalization...cool huh? B-) and then the K-1 package was sent FedEx next day delivery...even cooler! So let's not point fingers at the visa service :no: because we all know that the service centers (USCIS) have many times before, lost or overlooked documents contained within our completed cases.

Nice try though :D

Edited by Six-Twelve

Timeline

I knew there would be someone that would ask this question :lol: . It had nothing to do with the Visa Service, they did a great job, in fact they are the ones who suggested that we attach the Waiver Letter" to my file. My case worker was immediately alerted to the fact that I had a previous filing with an approval, and requested a copy of those documents. When she received them, we went over the circumstances and she prepared the "waiver letter" after all documents were compiled, the attorney reviewed my package prior to finalization...cool huh? B-) and then the K-1 package was sent FedEx next day delivery...even cooler! So let's not point fingers at the visa service :no: because we all know that the service centers (USCIS) have many times before, lost or overlooked documents contained within our completed cases.

Nice try though :D

OK......so what was the RFE for? No Waiver letter? If is was the USCIS's fault for losing it, since the service did send one, then yes they are "off the hook". But if USCIS received it but it wasn't worded properly.......then some service. The waiver letter is nothing special, it's just a letter that anyone can write; many copies of example exist here on VJ.

We all need to live within our own established comfort zone. And we are free to spend our earned money as we freely wish. You are only exercising your USC rights and I commend you for that. I didn't mean to put down the service but you still had to provide all the necessary documentation, etc.

Timeline

OK......so what was the RFE for? No Waiver letter? If is was the USCIS's fault for losing it, since the service did send one, then yes they are "off the hook". But if USCIS received it but it wasn't worded properly.......then some service. The waiver letter is nothing special, it's just a letter that anyone can write; many copies of example exist here on VJ.

We all need to live within our own established comfort zone. And we are free to spend our earned money as we freely wish. You are only exercising your USC rights and I commend you for that. I didn't mean to put down the service but you still had to provide all the necessary documentation, etc.

Thanks, I appreciate your response; but for the record, the same letter was resent to USCIS...just a simple letter requesting them to waive my last filing, acknowledging the approval along with an excerpt from the IMBRA subsections, explaining the circumstances which such a waiver is required under. Apparently based on the RFE explanation page, they did not either see it or had it.

I hope this clears up things a little better.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks, I appreciate your response; but for the record, the same letter was resent to USCIS...just a simple letter requesting them to waive my last filing, acknowledging the approval along with an excerpt from the IMBRA subsections, explaining the circumstances which such a waiver is required under. Apparently based on the RFE explanation page, they did not either see it or had it.

I hope this clears up things a little better.

It does. One consideration in your recommendation though is that you don't even have an approved petition yet, much less any experience with ongoing service through to the interview. For now, you've only gotten through the easy part WITH a delay for a Request for additional Evidence.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

It does. One consideration in your recommendation though is that you don't even have an approved petition yet, much less any experience with ongoing service through to the interview. For now, you've only gotten through the easy part WITH a delay for a Request for additional Evidence.

With all due respect, I was referring to a past K-1 approval of 2008, if you've read my blog you would have seen that the Ex-fiancé did not leave Brazil before the expiration of her visa, and has never entered the U.S, so "I've had an approval" her interview only lasted 5 minutes. I'm assuming that USCIS issued the RFE because they could not find the waiver letter for the first filing and approval. I know where I stand in 2010, this is an entirely new filing, and I'm going through this all over again with someone new...what were you referring to?

Thanks, I appreciate you comment.

Edited by Six-Twelve

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.