BmoreJamaican2010

Just Starting....Spousal vs Fiance Visa?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello All,

Im new to the website, @ 5min! I want to marry my Jamaican Fiance, however I've seen blogs, websites and posts that say the Fiance Visa is the best way to go about getting him here and others that say the Spousal Visa is best? From my research so far, both require the same documentation however, im not too comfortable with the Finance (k-1_) process of writing an essay telling all my personal business to the government! Ive also read that they dont get as much priority as the Spousal Visa's and they get denied alot more often. Im aware of the sponsor requiremnts which i meet and neither one of us has a previous criminal or marital background. Hes actualy a football (soccer) player there, ive seen on the UCSIS website soemthing about atheles can come over on a visa to try and tryout for teams, which he plans to do when he gets here.

He has family here already in NewYork and Florida. And I have been to see him 2x inthe past 3months and planning to retrun in November, maybe to get married, idk?? So, I think that should be enough info for now. Any help or clarification, previous or current experiences would be greatly appreciated! :help:

Thanks Again,

BJ:) :help:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Welcome to VJ.. when you get a chance, stop over to the Yardie thread - (Yardie Party)

Some of the differences between K-1 and CR1 is first price - CR1 is cheaper, K-1 you have to file for AOS (have to wait to work), CR1(you can work when you come to the US)

What do you mean you don't want the government in your business? If that is the case you might as well not file cause they will be ALL in your business... They are going to do background checks.

Good luck whatever you decide! :star:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

welcome :)

As stated the K1 is more expensive but typically takes less time than the CR-1. With the K-1 you have to get permission to work and permission to leave the country before you receive your greencard. With a CR-1 you can work and travel internationally immediately. As for writing an essay, that is not the case, they just want a brief description of how you met in person, they don't want to know and don't care about your love story. The description is only 4-5 sentences. When it comes to the interview, regardless of which route you choose you will be asked personal questions about your lives and relationship, thats just the way it is. And like the other person said, they will be in your business for a long time. When you do AOS (if you go the K-1 route), and after your 2 yr greencard expires you will to do removal of conditions and that can get pretty involved. If you don't want the government in your business, then you should consider moving there. I'm not trying to be harsh but just being blunt. When dealing with immigration, you have to reveal a lot more of your personal life than you would in a relationship with someone who is already here. Good Luck in whichever route you choose!!

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Timeline

welcome :)

As stated the K1 is more expensive but typically takes less time than the CR-1. With the K-1 you have to get permission to work and permission to leave the country before you receive your greencard. With a CR-1 you can work and travel internationally immediately. As for writing an essay, that is not the case, they just want a brief description of how you met in person, they don't want to know and don't care about your love story. The description is only 4-5 sentences. When it comes to the interview, regardless of which route you choose you will be asked personal questions about your lives and relationship, thats just the way it is. And like the other person said, they will be in your business for a long time. When you do AOS (if you go the K-1 route), and after your 2 yr greencard expires you will to do removal of conditions and that can get pretty involved. If you don't want the government in your business, then you should consider moving there. I'm not trying to be harsh but just being blunt. When dealing with immigration, you have to reveal a lot more of your personal life than you would in a relationship with someone who is already here. Good Luck in whichever route you choose!!

Agreed :thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

cr-1 is better, faster, and cheaper.

there is less work to do and then you don't have to rush off to do a crappy civil ceremony within 90 days and send more paperwork for that.

do cr-1.

USCIS JOURNEY

12-08-09 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12-11-09 - Notice of Action (NOA1)

02-25-10 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2) ~CA service center~

03-23-10 - PCC Applied - GET 04/01

Your I-130 was approved in 76 days from your NOA1 date

NVC JOURNEY

03-03-10 - NVC Case Number Assigned

03-05-10 - Email give

03-09-10 - AOS bill; Agent Email Get

03-10-10 - Paid AOS Bill; Email/Mail DS-3032

03-12-10 - AOS Bill Status: PAID

03-15-10 - IV Bill Email Get; Pay IV Bill

03-16-10 - IV Bill Status: PAID; AOS @ NVC

04-07-10 - IV Pack @ NVC

04-12-10 - IV Pack Enters AVR

04-20-10 - Log-in Fail

04-21-10 - Case Complete

04-30-10 - Interview Date Assigned

05-07-10 - NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Tokyo

Your case was complete in 50 days at NVC

EMBASSY JOURNEY

04-16-10 - Medical Exam ($400) - PASSED

05-10-10 - Embassy Receives Case from NVC

06-28-10 - INTERVIEW - Moved

06-21-10 - INTERVIEW - APPROVED!

06-22-10 - Visa Received

Your interview took 192 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

USA JOURNEY

07-05-10 - US Entry

07-26-10 - Request SSC @ SS office

07-28-10 - Welcome Letter (2nd on 8/9)

08-02-10 - SSC GET

08-12-10 - Green Card GET -38 days

04-05-2012 - File I-751: APPROVED 10/17

nihonamerica.jpg

Timeline

cr-1 is better, faster, and cheaper.

there is less work to do and then you don't have to rush off to do a crappy civil ceremony within 90 days and send more paperwork for that.

do cr-1.

It may have been better for YOU but K-1 worked just fine for us....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Here's a comparison on K-3 vs CR-1 - the issues are almost the same -

Comparison on K-3 vs CR-1 - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/204324-wondering-if-i-made-a-mistake-marrying-in-us/page__view__findpost__p__3060767

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Correct - ur not able to work whilst in country with a K-1 visa, until EAD or GreenCard in hand.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You have to consider the right choice for you and your fiance ....We K1 and had a beautiful wedding no civil ceremony.... There are advantages to both routes one is quicker... and one get no real preference over approval many many of the yardies in the thread MRStee mentioned did K1(actually the majority) and got approvals ... As far as Government in your business we live in the U.S the govt> is all up and through your business. You should check out some of the interview reviews ... they ask some really personal questions

WITH GOD AND LOVE ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE

LIVE EACH DAY LIKE ITS YOUR LAST

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

Date Filed : 2010-04-16

Your item was delivered at 9:31 AM on April 19, 2010 in CHICAGO, IL 60603. The item was signed for by L BOX.

noas via email and text 04/26/2010

checked cashed 4/27/2010

Hard copy NOA 4/30/2010 Dated 4/26/2010

RFE 4/30/2010 need a co sponsor

5/26/2010 sent out evidence request.

5/28/2010 Evidence was received

5/28/2010 Biometrics complete

6/1/2010 touches on I485 and EAD

6/10/10 EAD Card production ordered

6/19/10AP arrived

6/21/10 EAD ARRIVED

11/16/2010 Touched

starplucker.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Also if you are a US citizen and your file for your spouse it will be quicker ( 5 Months) than to file for your spouse as a permanent resident (January 9th, 2009). Also, take into consideration of you income for K-1 visa you would only have to prove 100% of your income above proverty level versus spousal visa you would have to prove 125%. If, you or the SO has children it will play into your household number along with how long it will take to approve the petition. It took us exactly 5 months to receive approval because I was filing for both fiance and child. The one thing about a K-1 is that they have to wait until you get married to file EAD to work, but because we both have big families in Jamaica, we could not afford to get married in Jamaica at the time. We will have a civil wedding then through a reception party and once he gets working we can save up to renew our vows in Jamaica for both of our families to attend. Choose what best fits your situation.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Also if you are a US citizen and your file for your spouse it will be quicker ( 5 Months) than to file for your spouse as a permanent resident (January 9th, 2009). Also, take into consideration of you income for K-1 visa you would only have to prove 100% of your income above proverty level versus spousal visa you would have to prove 125%. If, you or the SO has children it will play into your household number along with how long it will take to approve the petition. It took us exactly 5 months to receive approval because I was filing for both fiance and child. The one thing about a K-1 is that they have to wait until you get married to file EAD to work, but because we both have big families in Jamaica, we could not afford to get married in Jamaica at the time. We will have a civil wedding then through a reception party and once he gets working we can save up to renew our vows in Jamaica for both of our families to attend. Choose what best fits your situation.

Thanks Ms.Cool for that about the financing. I hadnt even thought about that yet. I am a citizen and neither one of us have any children. I do well on my own for now but all the plane tickets, phone cards and filing do add up! Me and the SO did disscuss him not being able to work once he arrived. And being that my family is still NOT very supportive of us,I plan to have to be the one to support us for a while, until he can work and even then im not sure how much of a help that will be.

Im not sure what I should or could do to prepare for that. On top of dealing with the family issues of me and my "big, bad and scary" Jamaican fiance. I try not to worry him too much about it,Im kinda am embarrassed that my family is so caught up in to "American stereotypes" of Jamaican men...maybe that will be a new thread, dealing with fam!

He does have family in Florida, so I suggested we move there to make the transition easier for him and they could help him with finding work, contacts things of that nature.

Thank You EVERYONE who has replied, this has been extremly helpful!BJ'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks Ms.Cool for that about the financing. I hadnt even thought about that yet. I am a citizen and neither one of us have any children. I do well on my own for now but all the plane tickets, phone cards and filing do add up! Me and the SO did disscuss him not being able to work once he arrived. And being that my family is still NOT very supportive of us,I plan to have to be the one to support us for a while, until he can work and even then im not sure how much of a help that will be.

Im not sure what I should or could do to prepare for that. On top of dealing with the family issues of me and my "big, bad and scary" Jamaican fiance. I try not to worry him too much about it,Im kinda am embarrassed that my family is so caught up in to "American stereotypes" of Jamaican men...maybe that will be a new thread, dealing with fam!

He does have family in Florida, so I suggested we move there to make the transition easier for him and they could help him with finding work, contacts things of that nature.

Thank You EVERYONE who has replied, this has been extremly helpful!BJ'

Well, I am of Jamaican descent and my sister, brother, aunts, grand aunts and his sister, grandmother, aunts and rest of family has warned my SO to don't show his ####, lol. Because some jamaican men did make it bad for other Good jamaican men that are there. I hope you decide to do the best that is for you and trust in yourself and believe that you have a good man, but he shows any signs of shadyness address them as soon as possible. My sister has a saying that sometimes you have some family that are badmind, meaning they are like crabs in a barrel and dont want to see you happy or prosper. This is your time of happiness and enjoy as much of it and for as long as it will last. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.