sorchaine

Entering the US with medications

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know this is a bit premature since my fiancé is still waiting for his interview, but I want to try to get everything that is stressing me right now worked out so we can focus on other things that are less stressful once he arrives.

My fiancé will hopefully soon be entering the US on his K1 visa (assuming he gets approved of course). He has a couple conditions that require him to take medications, Lithium and Diamox. I currently am a full time student and do not have health insurance at this time. Which means I am not able to put him onto a health insurance plan because I don't have one myself. We are hoping that within the first 6 months he'll get his EAD and be able to start working and by the end of the year I'll be finished with my schooling and able to get full-time employment. But during this time we are concerned about how he can continue to take his medications without the insurance to cover him. If I am lucky enough to get a job at the end of the year we'll still need to wait probably 3-6 months for any health insurance they offer to kick in.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who has been in this same situation or similar who has any advice on what we could do. Also any information about whether it would be ok to keep the medication in his checked luggage, since he can go a day or two without taking them. Ideally we would want to have a 6 month supply, but I'm pretty sure that's not a realistic option.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When bringing in prescription medication it is always advisable to bring a note from a doctor stating that they are yours (or a prescription). Carrying hefty amounts of medications may raise flags but you should be fine with a letter from a doctor explaining the situation

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I brought 4 month supply of birth control pills, had no problem at all. Actually on the first time I came, I had a 3 month supply, and since I went to the routine luggage review, I had to talk to a cop, and he just asked what they were for, said ok, and done. So the prescription tip is your way to go, I believe.

If they don't like it and he has to give up his pills, try to find some sort of low income service. It is what I am doing for my birth control, I use Planned Parenthood, which has cheaper doctors and the pills. Until we can set up our medical insurance, it's just perfect.

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Timeline

Thanks for the advice! We'll be sure to get a form or some sort of prescription written up by his medic to make sure that if he is asked about them he'll have that to show why he has the medications and that he is supposed to have them.

event.png

Timeline

The US just will want to make sure that there isn't a chance of re-sale. For example, if you had to bring in 6 months worth of oxycotin then that might be a problem conpared to something like birth-control pills because those have a typically low resale value

The letter will help

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

The US just will want to make sure that there isn't a chance of re-sale. For example, if you had to bring in 6 months worth of oxycotin then that might be a problem conpared to something like birth-control pills because those have a typically low resale value

The letter will help

Good luck

I brought in a year's supply of metformin and blood glucose test strips. When I phoned the PoE (land crossing from Canada) to confirm that it was OK they just said to make sure I had prescription labels for everything.

Of course, when I got to the PoE and did my K-1 processing, they never expressed the slightest interest in anything I was carrying. I could have had 6 months of oxycotin, or Canadian over-the-counter tylenol-with-codeine's, or even 6 months of straight morphine and they wouldn't even have noticed :lol:.

[Of course, if I had brought any of that stuff, I obviously would have been randomly selected to have my car torn apart. Murphy's Law and all that :D]

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Timeline

Heat - you know what? Murphy's always gets me!

plus, I'd hate to apply those lenient standards to Canadians to other countries. Since I've never tried entering from Brazil as a Brazillian citizen with an immigrant visa, I'd hate to say "yah man, no worries. It's all good"

I like to advise based on worst case scenario. Yah, the prescriptions will likely be fine. But you get a CBP who's wife just left him and is on a power trip...well, make it easier for yourself

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

Yep, make sure you have a prescription, letter from doctor, etc.

I traveled with a little pharmacy (knowing in advance the price of medication here and how most medication requires prescription here and not in Brazil) but nothing too wild. I had supplies of my BC pill and anti-inflamatory (Feldene) pills as long as some of the other stuff I occasionally use such as Diprosone (a cortisone cream I wasn't sure was sold without prescription here) and like hypoglós, minancura, tralen, etc. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had been stopped but I wasn't hiding any of it and it was all on my handbag which was scanned normally. Nobody said anything.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

I brought in a year's supply of metformin and blood glucose test strips. When I phoned the PoE (land crossing from Canada) to confirm that it was OK they just said to make sure I had prescription labels for everything.

Of course, when I got to the PoE and did my K-1 processing, they never expressed the slightest interest in anything I was carrying. I could have had 6 months of oxycotin, or Canadian over-the-counter tylenol-with-codeine's, or even 6 months of straight morphine and they wouldn't even have noticed :lol:.

[Of course, if I had brought any of that stuff, I obviously would have been randomly selected to have my car torn apart. Murphy's Law and all that :D]

LOL that's my luck!

you know it's even against the rules to bring back cosmetic creams that are not FDA approved? :P a friend tried to get me to bring back some cream from the store he is convinced makes his skin lighten and i was like NO WAY. i odnt mind going to store and picking him up 6 jars but if i have to dump out my hair conditioner and load that jar up with the stuff then NO WAY i'm not doing it. i dont get locked up for ANYONE :rofl: imagine sitting in prison... "what'd you do?" "i killed someone" "what'd you do?" "i smuggled face cream over the border" :P yeah, no thanks.

if you gave your info (receipt #s, full name, etc) to anyone on VJ under the guise that they would "help" you through the immigration journey with his inside contacts (like his sister at USCIS) ... please contact OLUInquiries@dhs.gov, and go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact to report anything suspicious. Contact your congressman and senator's offices as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I had 18 months of diabetes meds for a friend in March.. they looked at the meds but said nothing... it was a briefcase size bag of gel packs in my suitcase... they were all clearly labeled... I wouldnt advise doing what I did though..

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Thanks everyone! We'll get something from his medic stating the prescription for the medication to attach to the boxes he's bringing. Since in Brazil you don't actually get any sort of label or anything on the medication, just the boxes themselves so hopefully a letter stating that his medic prescribed these medications for him and the amounts and things will be enough.

Also one other question, should he carry these in his carry on luggage or can they be in his checked luggage? Should he list them on the customs form when he's entering the US?

I know that when I came back from Brazil I had a few medications in my checked luggage (some that weren't exactly prescribed for me per se), but I did not claim them on the customs form and they didn't open my luggage to exam it either coming back into the US, but I'm not sure that if he's entering as a non-US citizen if they'll be have stricter requirements as far as searching through his luggage and things.

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.