rh4stc

So how do you prove intent to return?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

This is my stumbling block.

I want to study, and this opportunity to study in the US is the only way I can afford to do it. I live in France, but cannot school there as my French is no where good enough. I cannot afford to return to my native England and study there as the cost of living is ridiculous.

I want to return to Australia after my 2 year course in the US, but have zero ties there. How do I evidence that I wish to go back to Australia after college? 2 years is a long time, I have no idea how to show what will happen in two weeks time, let alone two years!

Any advice gratefully received.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

What they would need to see to prove your intent to return are any of the following;

1. Any property you own e.g house, etc

2. A business that you run on your own.

3. A statement from your employer in your home country you intend to return to, stating that you are still employed with them and that they are willing to accept you back into the system when you complete your studies.

4. Your family e.g wife and children, that you intend to return to.

etc. Good luck

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Actually, for F-1 student visa, it is much easier. Or at least it was for me, when I applied in Singapore in 2006. I went to the consulate, guy behind the window asked:

1. Do you have family in the US? No.

2. Where is your family? In Singapore. I plan to return (which I did, at that time)

3. What is your purpose for going to the US? To get my Masters

Approved! No paper evidence or anything, aside from proof of financial resources for tuition fees. Obviously if you're still a student, they wouldn't be expecting a job, family, or house!

OP, since you are from UK which is pretty low-risk, I doubt you will be scrutinized. Maybe other F-1 students from UK can help, or you could email the International Students Association at your school to ask them to put you in contact with a UK person who is currently a student.

Edited by meijie

08/22/06 - First entered USA on F-1

02/14/09 - Met The One

08/15/09 - Graduated with Masters degree

09/28/09 - Started OPT employment

01/15/10 - Engaged!

02/06/10 - Legally married (wedding not till 09/05/10)

05/04/10 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via Priority Mail

05/07/10 - Packet delivered to Chicago

05/11/10 - NOA1 via text and email

05/12/10 - Checks cashed

05/13/10 - NOA1 received in mail

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter in mail

06/08/10 - Scheduled Biometrics @ St Paul, MN office

06/25/10 - Interview letter received!

07/15/10 - EAD and AP approved

07/20/10 - AP received

07/26/10 - Scheduled interview - APPROVED!

07/29/10 - EAD and welcome letter received

08/09/10 - Green card received! :)

Timeline

Thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I should have been more specific though, as I think you'll see, my ties anywhere in the world are not strong.

I do own my own house, which is currently rented out in France, but plan on selling in order to buy a property in Australia after my course.

I have no family. Both parents died 12 years ago, not seen extended family since then. I'm 38.

I will be staying with my USC girlfriend in the US during my studies. We have no plans on marrying (neither of us are really ready for such a commitment again, we're both going through divorce).

I do not have a job (my French is too poor to get employment, and I have tried).

This is my means of escaping France and getting back to an English speaking country with a good qualification which I have work experience of (am going for a graphic design associates degree. I worked as a graphic designer in Australia for 4 years about 8 years ago).

But hopefully, I won't be scrutinised as you say and they allow me in with little problem.

Edited by rh4stc

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

From what I have read first you need to be accepted into enrollment into a SEVP certified school. All student applicants must have a SEVIS generated I-20 issued by an educational institution approved by DHS, which they submit when they are applying for their student visa.

Qualifying for a Student Visa

The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements including:

• Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence.
  • Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study.
  • Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study.

Required Documentation

Each applicant for a student visa must submit these forms and documentation as explained below:

• Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students. You
    will need to submit a SEVIC generated Form, I-20, which was provided to you by your school. You and your school official must sign the I-20 form. See the previous section for SEVIS information.
  • Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicants period of stay in the United States.
  • One (1) 2x2 photograph.
  • A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee.
  • The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt.

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

• Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended.
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
  • Financial evidence that shows you or your parents who are sponsoring you have sufficient fund to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study.

I looked at this option for my fiancé who wanted to attend school here before we were engaged and the cost for him to come here to study was far greater than we could afford, $17,000 for one year of study at the community college. For a state university the cost was around $32,000. Most schools require you to verify that you have that amount before they will issue you the I-20. Some offer the option to pay either all at once or in installments, like a certain amount 3 different times.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

Thanks for your replies.

Perhaps I should have been more specific though, as I think you'll see, my ties anywhere in the world are not strong.

I do own my own house, which is currently rented out in France, but plan on selling in order to buy a property in Australia after my course.

I have no family. Both parents died 12 years ago, not seen extended family since then. I'm 38.

I will be staying with my USC girlfriend in the US during my studies. We have no plans on marrying (neither of us are really ready for such a commitment again, we're both going through divorce).

I do not have a job (my French is too poor to get employment, and I have tried).

This is my means of escaping France and getting back to an English speaking country with a good qualification which I have work experience of (am going for a graphic design associates degree. I worked as a graphic designer in Australia for 4 years about 8 years ago).

But hopefully, I won't be scrutinised as you say and they allow me in with little problem.

If I were you, I would say I have strong ties in EU, as evidenced by the house, bank account(s), relatives (you don't have to mention they are distant), and many friends. I think a house is very strong evidence. I would not mention anything about Australia, since really, it is quite up in the air and you could easily change your mind in the next couple of years. Similarly, I would not mention the USC girlfriend. It's not really lying since she is not family, and you are not intending to get married. STRONGLY emphasize that quality education is your main purpose.

Good luck!

08/22/06 - First entered USA on F-1

02/14/09 - Met The One

08/15/09 - Graduated with Masters degree

09/28/09 - Started OPT employment

01/15/10 - Engaged!

02/06/10 - Legally married (wedding not till 09/05/10)

05/04/10 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131 via Priority Mail

05/07/10 - Packet delivered to Chicago

05/11/10 - NOA1 via text and email

05/12/10 - Checks cashed

05/13/10 - NOA1 received in mail

05/17/10 - Biometrics letter in mail

06/08/10 - Scheduled Biometrics @ St Paul, MN office

06/25/10 - Interview letter received!

07/15/10 - EAD and AP approved

07/20/10 - AP received

07/26/10 - Scheduled interview - APPROVED!

07/29/10 - EAD and welcome letter received

08/09/10 - Green card received! :)

Timeline

Thanks meijie, I guess it's all about the slant, isn't it? On the paperwork so far, I have just put her down as a friend (she'll be sponsoring me, board and lodgings).

I am starting to get my head around everything, I certainly don't want to lie, but economy with the truth may be the way to go.

I definitely want to do the course and I'm very excited about it, so yes, you are right, that should be the empthasis, the priority. It is going to be my get out of jail card. In fact I have two properties in France, so I can evidence that.

Timeline

I really do struggle with this "ties" thing. I guess it's just showing that there is "something" to come back to, but really, save perhaps family, a house, a job, a car etc really are not ties. They can be sold at any time from anywhere in the world (I should know, I've done it several times).

But I just need to change my outlook on this somehow, because I feel they are weak reasons, but so long the US government doesn't think that, I should be ok then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.