Stephen&Kim

Help! Can't Decide DCF or USCIS?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

I am so torn on how to file our application, my USC husband, who is a Canadian PR, and I live in Toronto and have the option of doing Direct Consular Filing, but reading peoples timelines and comparing them to USCIS filers I just don't know if that's the best way to go!? We are going to be ready to file next week and I need some advice please.

With all the experience on here, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stephen & Kim

March 1999 - Met online

July 5th, 2001 - Met in person

December 19, 2003 - Got engaged

September 26, 2004 - Got married in Canada and husband (USC) becomes a PR

July 5, 2007 - Our daughter Samantha is born

April 5th, 2011 - I-130 Submitted to Toronto Consulate

April 29th, 2011 - Interview at Toronto Consulate

June 8th, 2011 - Packet 3 received via email

June 9th, 2011 - Packet 3 returned via Expresspost overnight

June 13th, 2011 - Packet 3 received by Consulate

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 3 Logged

June 16th, 2011 - Packet 4 Dated

June 22nd, 2011 - Packet 4 Logged

September 12, 2011 - Medical in Toronto

September 29, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi All,

I am so torn on how to file our application, my USC husband, who is a Canadian PR, and I live in Toronto and have the option of doing Direct Consular Filing, but reading peoples timelines and comparing them to USCIS filers I just don't know if that's the best way to go!? We are going to be ready to file next week and I need some advice please.

Thanks!

Stephen & Kim

well, go a head and apply but not from the US ..apply from your country ...it wont take too long because you were living together .they just give the people whom has red flags a hard time

so if you one of these let me know .

1- Age difference

2- Limited visits

3-different religion

4-applied after marriage immediately

ETC...

Regards

Sam

Beautiful patience.

Timeline

We have no issues that way, we have been together for 10 years and have 2 children, my concern is the length of time it's taking Montreal to process and set up interviews.

well, go a head and apply but not from the US ..apply from your country ...it wont take too long because you were living together .they just give the people whom has red flags a hard time

so if you one of these let me know .

1- Age difference

2- Limited visits

3-different religion

4-applied after marriage immediately

ETC...

Regards

Sam

March 1999 - Met online

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We have no issues that way, we have been together for 10 years and have 2 children, my concern is the length of time it's taking Montreal to process and set up interviews.

Well..in that case it will be very fast and no worries at all ,

i have some friend whom got approved at the same day he was at the embassy to give them the paper to start processing .

he said : my wife was living with me for 2 years and we went to the embassy to apply for the visa and start waiting but the consular shocked him with you are APPROVED and told his wife to go back to the US to wait him and the consular will just ask Tamer (the applicant ) for some papers to bring her then she will print his visa . and he left him passport and got the papers and traveled in less than 2 month .

so just go a head and do it ...

by the way i have a question ?....why don't you go stay with him in the US by b2 (tourist ) visa and apply from there and wait there with him and when your paper finish go back to your country for the interview n take the visa then go back to the US.

<---am thinking about doing that tbh :)

Beautiful patience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Each country is different Samonline. It appears in Canada things are taking longer, so there is no clear cut answer.

One can not go to the USA with the INTENTION of staying--visiting is up to the POE officer, which many of us do or did.

Montreal appears to speed up, slow down speed up,lol. Best thing one can do is look at the timelines of the Canadians that went the regular IR-1 route and the ones that went DCF. There around here someplace and in the DCF forum. Even if they are running the same timeframe, isn't the DCF route a bit less of a hassle?? And chances are it will be faster, but one could run into the problem others have had---proving USA domicile issues.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks!

Stephen & Kim

I don't know how it is compared to here, but we filed DCF and got the visa in six weeks. They approved the petition the day we brought it to them and they called me back two days later to say they were ready to set up an interview. It would have taken even less time, but we had to collect papers and have some mailed from the states. I think it's worth a shot, and you two won't have to be separated.

But as already said the intent to re-establish domicile would maybe be the only hang up. Check out other Canada timelines too. :D

Edited by Mithmeoi

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Timeline

Wow lucky you, here in Canada people who applied for the I-130 in February are still waiting for interviews. It's not so quick. I know whether we do it here or in through the US, the interview is still in Montreal......i dunno, guess i'll just go DCF.

I don't know how it is compared to here, but we filed DCF and got the visa in six weeks. They approved the petition the day we brought it to them and they called me back two days later to say they were ready to set up an interview. It would have taken even less time, but we had to collect papers and have some mailed from the states. I think it's worth a shot, and you two won't have to be separated.

But as already said the intent to re-establish domicile would maybe be the only hang up. Check out other Canada timelines too. :D

March 1999 - Met online

? - Visa Received

? - POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.