shikarnov

Fastest way to ship?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

As you all know, the heat in Russia has been insane as of late. My wife's family is now asking for help -- specially if we can send them some fans. I'm given to understand that DHL no longer operates in the US, but they used to be the fast option for shipping to and from Ivanovo...

Does anybody have any shipping suggestions? It would be somewhat tragic (albeit ironic) if I shipped a bunch of fans and they ended up arriving in a month, after the heat wave subsided... I'd like to get these delivered inside of a week.

Thanks,

Z

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All,

As you all know, the heat in Russia has been insane as of late. My wife's family is now asking for help -- specially if we can send them some fans. I'm given to understand that DHL no longer operates in the US, but they used to be the fast option for shipping to and from Ivanovo...

Does anybody have any shipping suggestions? It would be somewhat tragic (albeit ironic) if I shipped a bunch of fans and they ended up arriving in a month, after the heat wave subsided... I'd like to get these delivered inside of a week.

Thanks,

Z

I think DHL is still around. At least, I'm fairly sure I've seen their trucks around. I'm not sure about which would be cheapest. In any case, you can always send them money, it should get there faster than any package.

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Timeline

The problem isn't one of money - it's one of availability. There simply are no fans to be had.

We're exploring Russian websites also, to see if we can find something, but are saying fans are not available ("Нет в наличии") or deliver only in Moscow, etc...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

The problem isn't one of money - it's one of availability. There simply are no fans to be had.

We're exploring Russian websites also, to see if we can find something, but are saying fans are not available ("Нет в наличии") or deliver only in Moscow, etc...

Mmm, I've always used Fedex to ship things, but the prices go by weight, so a few fans might end up costing a lot. :unsure:

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

DHL would be the way to go and fans (box fans from walmart?) really aren't that heavy.

However, they are 120 so each fan will require a transformer. Do they have enough transformers?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

DHL would be the way to go and fans (box fans from walmart?) really aren't that heavy.

However, they are 120 so each fan will require a transformer. Do they have enough transformers?

Transformers aren't a problem. When I lived in Russia, I literally had just about every outlet in my flat hooked up to transformers for all my American stuff. I left all that behind when Ira and I returned to the US together -- for future vacations, and etc.

I think DHL is still around. At least, I'm fairly sure I've seen their trucks around. I'm not sure about which would be cheapest. In any case, you can always send them money, it should get there faster than any package.

I'm looking into it more... Seems like they stopped ground operations only, and made a deal with UPS. I'm not sure - I think I'll have to call my local Mailbox Etc to see what they say.

Mmm, I've always used Fedex to ship things, but the prices go by weight, so a few fans might end up costing a lot. :unsure:

I've never had anything but trouble with FedEx and Russia. But it may come to giving them a shot. I don't dare send by USPS to Pochta Rossiya. Of all the things we send back and forth to Russia, this would not be something I'd like to see "get lost."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks,

Z

Fans use an induction motor. They must operate on the correct voltage, Russia does not have the correct voltage for US fans. Even with an adaptor they will burn out almost immediately and represent a fire hazard. You must also have a transformer, in addition to a plug adaptor to reduce the voltage 110v.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Transformers aren't a problem. When I lived in Russia, I literally had just about every outlet in my flat hooked up to transformers for all my American stuff. I left all that behind when Ira and I returned to the US together -- for future vacations, and etc.

I'm looking into it more... Seems like they stopped ground operations only, and made a deal with UPS. I'm not sure - I think I'll have to call my local Mailbox Etc to see what they say.

I've never had anything but trouble with FedEx and Russia. But it may come to giving them a shot. I don't dare send by USPS to Pochta Rossiya. Of all the things we send back and forth to Russia, this would not be something I'd like to see "get lost."

OK, you got the transformers covered. DHL was the cheapest and they are still available in some areas. They are available all over Europe, but not so common here now.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'd source them in Singapore or Hong Kong, have em shipped out.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

OK, you got the transformers covered.

Given your earlier post, do you still feel there's a risk of the fans being destroyed - even with the transformers? It would be an enormous kick in the rear to spend the money on these things and have Mom report back that they blew up.

I'm certainly open to that... Do you know any specific website addresses or business names that can help?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Given your earlier post, do you still feel there's a risk of the fans being destroyed - even with the transformers? It would be an enormous kick in the rear to spend the money on these things and have Mom report back that they blew up.

I'm certainly open to that... Do you know any specific website addresses or business names that can help?

They shouldn't burn up with a transformer. I think Gary just didn't see your post about having transformers before posting. With a transformer, the voltage is as good (and probably better since there may be surge protection in the transformer) than line voltage.

As far as shipping, when I was in Russia my mother would occasionally ship me packages with something called USPS Global Express. Russia is not included in the list of countries that are guaranteed delivery in 1-3 days, but I always saw stuff inside of a week in Novosibirsk. It is pretty reasonably priced although pricing is better for their pre-paid boxes which may be too small for a fan.

From what I understand UPS handles domestic stuff, DHL will do overseas. (If you order pick up, the brown truck will come get it but the yellow one will deliver.)

I thought about this as it would probably be cheaper and quicker but I'm also not sure of the sites. Any you could recommend would be greatly appreciated since my in-laws live in the Far East and I'd love to know a good way to ship them stuff quickly.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

As far as shipping, when I was in Russia my mother would occasionally ship me packages with something called USPS Global Express. Russia is not included in the list of countries that are guaranteed delivery in 1-3 days, but I always saw stuff inside of a week in Novosibirsk. It is pretty reasonably priced although pricing is better for their pre-paid boxes which may be too small for a fan.

I had similar experiences with USPS Global Express, but they hand things off to Pochta Rossiya in the end -- and that's the part that concerns me. Pochta Rossiya is reliable so long as the contents of as package are relatively uninteresting -- like foodstuffs that couldn't be found in Russia that I wanted to introduce my family to, or various books, and etc. Anything interesting or valuable, like my Amazon.com Kindle, disappears. (I was really angry about that, but half expected it to happen, and so took out appropriate insurance.) I tend to think, given the current situation, a box full of fans will catch somebody's eye.

I tend to think, given the current situation, a box full of fans will catch somebody's eye.

Yeah, there's no way they'd make it through Pochta Rossiya right now. December, sure. Now, not a chance.

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If you ship from here, go with DHL for sure. They do still ship internationally, just not domestically within the U.S.

http://sbw.dhl-usa.com/Locations/USLocnsStart.asp?nav=DropOff

to find the drop-off location (in the U.S.) closest to you

I don't know any sites in Singapore but have ordered stuff from Germany to Russia before. Here is a fan that's available for shipment in 1-2 business days (although they have a note that delays up to a week can occur).

http://www.ventilator.de/Sommerventilatoren/Tischventilatoren/Hunter-Metropolitain

They do ship to Russia. The fans cost 149 euros each though! I couldn't find information about estimated delivery time for shipping internationally, but if you are interested in this option PM me and I'll be happy to help you navigate the site and figure out if it is something feasible.

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.