Chels

What qualifies as "evidence of engagement to fiancée" and "evidence of financial support" for form DS-156-K?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just received a letter from the London consulate that directed me to this step-by-step:

http://london.usembassy.gov/iv_15.html

For form DS-156-K, we need:

• Evidence of engagement to your fiancée
  • Evidence of financial support

The form is here:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/82063.pdf

What qualifies? Is "evidence of financial support" looking for an affidavit of support? We haven't bought a ring yet, but we are engaged, so what else could we use as evidence of engagement?

Thanks!

Richard

Edited by Chelsea!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Evidence of Financial Support is done through filing the Affidavit of Support which is typically form I-134 and all of the proper supporting documentation for the K-1 visa.

Evidence of Engagement is usually met simply by each of the fiance(e)s providing a newly signed Letter of Intent to Marry.

Neither the I-134 not the Letter of Intent need to be notarized.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Yes you will only need to fill out form I-134 ... BUT DO NOT FORGET to ask your fiance for his two to three of his most recent pay stubs, and signed letter from his employer listing his job tittle and how much he makes per year, also it would help adding his Bank account info specially if he barely meet the minimum of the poverty guidelines.. also his tax returns.. at least last 3 years... w2 and most recent 1040 IRS federal tax returns .. this will back up your form I-134...

BTW you do not need to have a wedding date.. thats actually something they ask u not to do.. since you dont know the result of you interview (we will be crossing our fingers it is APPROVED) so they wont ask you when it will be.. they did ask me when I intend to enter the USA but that was it.. and if they ask you when is the wedding for some weird reason.. just tell them you dont know since you are all waiting for your visa to be approved!.. thats it!

Hi there,

Thankyou very much for posting this it has really helped and taken so much stress off. My application has been approved and tomorrow I am going for my Medical Examination. I then need to submit forms:

DS-230 Part 1

DS 2001

DS-156

DS-157

DS-156-K

Now on the DS-156 Form it wanted Evidence Of Engagement and Evidence of Financial Support. So thanks to your help we now know what to submit. So we will both be providing a newly signed Letter of Intent to Marry. Now with the Evidence of Financial Support my Fiance will fill in Form I-134 and send that to me asap.

So I guess we won't need to fill out Form I-864 as I read what they said on the USCIS website!

An I-864 is not required when applying for a fiancé(e) visa. An I-864 will be required at the time the fiancé(e) visa holder applies to adjust his or her status from nonimmigrant to conditional resident with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services(USCIS).

If there is anything else I need please let me know it will be much appreciated.

They also asked me for a covering letter containing my email address, if applicable, date of your wedding and date of the medical examination. Well my medical examination is tomorrow and will I need to give a wedding date? We haven't got one yet because we haven't got the visa yet? What did you do?

Thanks and we look forward to your response.

Edited by GJen

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.