astronaut

News coverage re: immigration bothering you too?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

In some cases, I believe 46 out of 50 states, a valid DL is only issued with proof of legal status. So apart from those four states, if you have have a VALID (unexpired) D/L, that is all the proof you need. D/Ls are issued for a specific period of time, they expire simultaneously when your status (student, tourist, conditional resident) expires. For USCs, I assume, the D/Ls are issued for longer periods of time (my USC husband's is about 8 years, I think).

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Oh, good, another one of the 'let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya' good folks.

Try taking a trip into North Korea from the South Korean border. Or crossing into Pakistan from India. And then come back and tell us how your experience was. I'd also be interested to know if anyone bought your 'we're all children of this earth, like animals we can roam anywhere we feel like. I have a divine and inherent right to be here' schtick.

"Schtick"?!

Do you need a hug?

:lol:

So we have a difference of opinion.

So what.

If I wish borders didn't exist that is my prerogative.

Remember: divide and conquer.

Not my thing.

I'm into community, compassion and acceptance of differences.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

i'll just post this story from here in chicago, that made me upset. The poor guy provided proof that was on him!!! Green card or not, nothing will help if the person in charge just does not believe you.

original link: http://www.huffingto...u_n_588788.html

and i'll just quote a paragraph here for emphasis:

Eduardo Caraballo, a U.S. citizen born in the United States, was detained for over three days on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant.

Despite presenting identifying documents and even his birth certificate, Caraballo was held by federal immigration authorities over the weekend and threatened with deportation, according to an NBC Chicago report. He was only released when his congressman, Luis Gutierrez -- a vocal supporter of immigration reform -- intervened on his behalf.

NBC reports that he was arrested in connection with a stolen car in Berwyn. Caraballo maintains his innocence. In any case, when his mother posted bail on Friday, he was not freed.

"Instead of being released, he was told by authorities that Immigration and Customs Enforcement was detaining him because he was an illegal immigrant," NBC reports.

Caraballo spent the weekend in the custody of federal immigration agents. When he presented them with ID and his birth certificate, he says officials were skeptical: "Because of the way I look, I have Mexican features, they pretty much assumed that my papers were fake."

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

I am curious to hear the voice of legal Mexican immigrants - what is their position and attitude towards the illegals? This is the group of people who all the anger should be directed towards.

My husband is a legal USC of Mexican decent. His great grandparents were migrant farmworkers and they happened to be working in a farm on the US side of the border when his great grandmother went into labor. Although my husband disapproved of illegal immigrants, he was complacent about it and never really had a strong opinion until one day he was pulled over by a cop for having a nice car.

We were driving though a small town Texas when we got pulled over and my husband was asked to step outside and I was asked to sit inside. We both were then grilled separately with weird questions to see if our story adds up. We were asked questions like: Where do you guys live? Why are you driving through this town? Is this really your car? What do you do for a living? He didn't seem to believe us when we told him that we both were engineers. The officer then decided to check our VIN numbers on the door and the dash board with our insurance papers to see if had tampered with them. After running a background check on us, we were finally let go with a citation for speeding although we driving within the posted speed limit.It was pretty humiliating to be treated like criminals even though my husband & I would never dream of breaking the law.

There are also plenty of Caucasian-looking Mexicans. My husband has cousins who are blond haired, blue eyed and could easily pass for Scandinavians. So yeah, it would bother him a lot to be asked for id or to be pulled over just because he is brown. If they want to ask for id, they should ask everyone no matter what they look like.

Ya know how when you give blood, or vote, or things like that you get a sticker? I think everyone who gets a green card/citizenship should get a bumper sticker to put on their car to flaunt their status, then they wouldn't have to prove it when they're pulled over. :thumbs: lol

(only slightly sarcastic)

Also, I agree with the previous statements that employers should be more punished more for hiring illegals. I can't remember how many different people told me I should find a job that paid cash under the table when we were so financially burdened while I waited for EAD (since my husband had also lost his job and neither of us was working for over 5 months). Umm... no? I was here legally, but could not yet work legally... so I didn't want to a) contribute to the illegal workers problem or b) run the risk of being caught and jeopardizing everything. To me it was immoral AND illegal, and it really bothered me that SEVERAL people on both sides of the border told me I should just do it anyway.

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good ole CNN. I try and stay away, it's so absurd. When it comes to the authorities checking what they believe may be an 'illegal' resident then I am on the side of the authorities. I believe in no way can they just ask any person who looks or sounds like they are from another country to prove they have rights, I'm completely against racism. I do however believe that IF authorities have valid reason to believe someone is living in a country illegally they have the right to verify that. It's called illegal for a reason. Just like stealing is illegal, drugs are illegal, abuse is illegal. I feel sorry for those who live in countries where they have no opportunities to be successful or happy in their lives, I really do. I wish there was a way the world can all work together and make it a big happy place (in their own definition of happy) but that's just not possible. It's such a tough and controversial issue and I don't think there is a definite line of right or wrong. All the authorities can do is thin out those here illegally and are abusing the system and poorly affecting society. All we can do is make sure we do things right, encourage others to do so, and make sure we too do our best for society.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I absolutely do not have the "no borders" mentality. I have the FOLLOW THE LAW mentality. If someone wants to move here legally, and they do it legally, and walk the steps LEGALLY like most of us here are doing, then I am ALL FOR people living transcontinental lives.

However, I am not for ANY race of people moving into the USA illegally according to the current laws of the US. I am not for my tax money going to shovel free cheese into the mouths of those who work for a pittance illegally, or do not work at all. I am NOT for those people potentially getting benefits from the states that LEGAL citizens don't get. Last, but not least, I am 100% completely against criminals crossing our borders from ANY location unchecked, unscathed, and unrestricted.

Immigration laws are not in place to keep people from living the lives they want to live. They are in place to PROTECT ALL aspects of our country.

Furthermore, I am tired and frustrated with people saying this is all about Mexico. It's NOT all about Mexico. I think if you went to varying parts of the country you would find that those places all have different types of immigration issues. People here are acting like the immigration laws are going to cause people to be treated like the Irish who immigrated here in the 1900's. So pay attention:

PEOPLE ARE ONLY GOING TO BE ASKED TO PROVE THEIR STATUS IF THE HAVE ALREADY BROKEN A LAW.

THIS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN A POLICE OFFICER ASKING FOR YOUR ID IF HE PULLS YOU OVER CURRENTLY.

To answer the questions about what a police officer can see when they pull you over:

Your Name

Address

Make/model of your car

Any previous criminal activity related to the person who REGISTERED the car.

This information comes off of the license plate on the car. Any other personal information about you, comes from your drivers license.

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Now this is interesting, I totally agree, it becomes so frustrating for us doing the process the legal and appropiae way- hats off to us. I am also with Arizona, and i am not even in the us yet and obviously not a citizen. We both get fed up with the news about all the illegals..whats most upsetting is that nothing is being done. How quickly people forget...911...i would think they would tighten all borders? They talk about them having rights...what rights do they have if they are not us citizens? I could go on and on...but its too early in the morning for ranting.! Has President Obama even produced an birth certificate yet? Is he in the US legally? hmmmm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Frankly for us, immigration DID break our banks, and I am sick of people back home wondering WHY we spent so much money on it, and WHY it took so long to get everything processed, and WHY we didn't just move and marry like most apparently think we can. What bothers me is that people don't understand the legal process, and think that you CAN just move over here and stay and it's legal. It's NOT. And I also hate that there's this underlying assumption that just because you're an immigrant then you must be here illegally. That's not the case either.

^

exactly what i went through, exactly how i feel.

thanks ashen

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

They talk about them having rights...what rights do they have if they are not us citizens?

Basic human rights, thats about it IMO, and if they are criminals in the USA, or their own countries, they should have THOSE rights forfeited as well.

I could go on and on...but its too early in the morning for ranting.! Has President Obama even produced an birth certificate yet? Is he in the US legally? hmmmm

Are you effing serious?

Do you have zero concept of the background checks a presidential candidate has to go through or something? Obviously birthplace being one of the most important checks, since its about the ONLY political position where you MUST be a naturally born USC in order to hold it.

The department of records in Hawaii has actually had to start denying public requests for copies of proof of his birthplace/cetificate, because they are being flooded by the other idiot "birthers" who question where he was born, all because they disagree with the fact he was legally elected. Its extremist nuttery.

Illegals, Id like to say that they dont affect me, but really, they do, the visa process is long, needlessly expensive, and fraught with errors and problems because of them primarily.

I strongly feel that if they want to be in the US, they too should have to go through the legal process and immigrate, to me, its no better than cutting in line because you dont want to wait your turn.

If the authorities were to ask me during a traffic stop or whatever for proof that Im here legally, I have no problems at all with proving it, my rights arent being infringed, its a red herring to complain that it is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has President Obama even produced an birth certificate yet? Is he in the US legally? hmmmm

I believe he has - from Hawaii which is a US state and was one when he was born. He was born here. However it is human nature to disbelieve facts when they cannot find something they can identify with which reminds them of themselves. It's funny how hard it is for some Americans to believe that there could be a racially-mixed man whose middle name is Hussein who could be 'one of them'. With a penchant for conspiracy theories running rampant as always, it isn't surprising...but I have no intention of letting the doubters ruin my enjoyment of the fact that America (at least some of it) can be forward thinking enough to embrace a President who represents the cultural diversity which can occur in the United States. It's about time - what's next - a woman? Oh horrors.

Supportgeek has provided lots of facts.....but there will always be those who can't fathom that a black man is President of the USA... I feel sorry for them, because they try and make excuses like he wasn't really born here to cover up what they are not comfortable with. How sad.

Don't get too defensive though - you chose to bring it up.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Illegals, Id like to say that they dont affect me, but really, they do, the visa process is long, needlessly expensive, and fraught with errors and problems because of them primarily.

I strongly feel that if they want to be in the US, they too should have to go through the legal process and immigrate, to me, its no better than cutting in line because you dont want to wait your turn.

If the authorities were to ask me during a traffic stop or whatever for proof that Im here legally, I have no problems at all with proving it, my rights arent being infringed, its a red herring to complain that it is.

This boils my blood ALL THE TIME. Oh noes, they might ask people for the proof of ID that the USCIS says I am LEGALLY REQUIRED TO HAVE ON ME AT ALL TIMES for the sake of proof of status! :bonk:

My whitey-white self got pulled into secondary processing at the airport because my greencard expires later this year. Woop dee doodley doo. I was calm and confident, it was fast, and when all was done, the woman complimented me on my nail polish and sent me on my way.

This BS about how people are going to be racially profiled (clearly I was racially profiled at the airport for being a non-US citizen :rolleyes: ) is totally ignoring the fact that you have to BREAK THE LAW FIRST. Sorry, but if I am speeding and get caught, the cop is well within reason to ask me for ID, and since I'm REQUIRED to have my greencard with me at all times ANYWAY, I certainly can supply him with my 'papers'.

I used to be a lot more sympathetic to illegal immigration before I had to go through legal immigration. It was such hell that I'd like to chase down and shoot all those people who tried to weasel out of going through it and thus made it harder for me. :girlwerewolf2xn:

K-1

03/09/2006: Sent I-129F

22/11/2006: NOA2 - APPROVED!

31/12/2006: 1 year anniversary

22/12/2006: Package received from Montreal

18/01/2007: Packet 3 delivered to Montreal Consulate

02/02/2007: Medical Exam in London, ON- Wonderful Doctor/Office

30/05/2007: Package 4 received from Montreal

05/07/2007: Interview date - Canceled by request, [promised a Dec date b/c was 6+mo in advance, note on file

Screwed up my interview date, given NOVEMBER, fixed, promised Dec or Jan

06/02/2008: Interview date, medical now expired! APPROVED!

23/01/2008: New Medical done, WHERE THE @#$%! IS IT, DID THE MAILMAN LOSE IT?! (It arrived 30 min after I left for MTL, 1 week overdue. KISS MY LEFT FOOT, AFTER IT'S BEEN WEDGED UP YOUR HINEY AND LOST IT'S STILETTO, CANADA POST!)

14/02/2008: VISA IN HAND!!

18/05/2008: POE - Harassed by ignorant and incompetent Customs Official who grilled me until I answered that the reason why I broke up w/ my Ex was not to date my USC but b/c he was "impotent from a porn addiction". He also insulted my husband's motives for talking to me, dismissed our 2 years together as "not enough to get married", and otherwise trotted out the Spanish Inquisition.

22/05/2008: Ceremony of cohabitation (Legally allowed to get bizz-ay!)

AOS/AP/EAD

02/07/2008: Filed for AOS/AP/EAD

14/07/2008: Received NOA1

09/09/2008: Transferred to CSC

29/09/2008: EAD arrives in mail w/out notice, AP following week

18/11/2008: Email notice letter has gone out, card ETA: 60 days

25/11/2008: GC arrives in mail! TWO YEARS OF RED-TAPE FREEDOM! WOOT!

When you know, you know!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This boils my blood ALL THE TIME. Oh noes, they might ask people for the proof of ID that the USCIS says I am LEGALLY REQUIRED TO HAVE ON ME AT ALL TIMES for the sake of proof of status! :bonk:

My whitey-white self got pulled into secondary processing at the airport because my greencard expires later this year. Woop dee doodley doo. I was calm and confident, it was fast, and when all was done, the woman complimented me on my nail polish and sent me on my way.

This BS about how people are going to be racially profiled (clearly I was racially profiled at the airport for being a non-US citizen :rolleyes: ) is totally ignoring the fact that you have to BREAK THE LAW FIRST. Sorry, but if I am speeding and get caught, the cop is well within reason to ask me for ID, and since I'm REQUIRED to have my greencard with me at all times ANYWAY, I certainly can supply him with my 'papers'.

I used to be a lot more sympathetic to illegal immigration before I had to go through legal immigration. It was such hell that I'd like to chase down and shoot all those people who tried to weasel out of going through it and thus made it harder for me. :girlwerewolf2xn:

I LIKE the way you think. :)

Samantha (CANADA) and Daniel (USA)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I LIKE the way you think. :)

Ditto. *high-fives*

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.