tcTTct

Why is divorce a red flag? Just wondering.

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your first post was not a reply to him! There was no mention of the German consulate in the other response just citing Romania.. This discussion is in the VN regional forum... take care in what you say and where it is and dont hijack someones topic.... it can cause a great deal of confusion for those trying to get straight answers... What you said initially I don't think divorce is a red flag, unless there is a pattern in marrying Vietnamese girls and then divorcing them once they get green cards was so far wrong that had he took it to heart he could have caused himself and his wife a great deal of time stress and $..... When you later said Really, divorce is NOT a red flag... you just added to the initial misinformation..

This comes from personal experience as we had our interview in January and have been waiting since then because we both had recent divorces... Huge Red Flag!

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As others have mentioned, posters need to be cautious when commenting outside of their specific consulate unless they have true experience and knowledge. While we are all in (or have gone through) the same process, yet the specifics can be vastly different. I think a large contributing factor to this problem is the welcome presence of newer members who are simply trying to help another member but in the end only confuse the situation. We have probably all been a victim or actor in this situation and should remember to keep the discussion focused and not be too aggressive towards others unless they are blatantly trying to cause problems. :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Timeline

Actually the pattern of why a divorce is a red flag is not because some marry a VN and get divorced after they get the green card even though this has happened at this consulate and other places. It started years ago when a green card fraud ring on the west coast, actually two of them operating at the same time (maybe they were in cooperation) was busted. It was a major fraud ring that was run by VN and for VN. It turned out that quite a few of the ones that was found out to have committed fraud had been married already and was offered a bunch of money to get divorced and marry a VN citizen and bring her here and then after a certain amount of time then divorce. They would then remarry their former spouses. During the investigation they had found out that they were even still living together with their supposed spouses. (hence why they try to found out where the exes are living and the phone calls now and them asking for bills and such now.) From what I remember they even found out some that were not in that particular fraud ring but that some families had done the same thing with close friends. (Hence why they look at how one is introduced and what family is here already)

Now we all know that once criminals are found out that criminals change how they operate and more than likely they are looking at seeming more legit ways than doing it that way from before but we also know that this is a bureaucracy and once a bureaucracy gets a hold of something and makes it a red flag then it is very hard and next to impossible to get them to change their thinking. That is why I call this the mother of all red flags but of course there are a few others. When I first started to come on this board it was still pretty fresh then (This is actually my third name on this board so don't go by the date it shows) and we all knew that they would be looking very heavily at any recent divorces and marries. The consulate was in the middle of a firestorm at that time due to that fraud ring and I am sure that they are still smarting from it.

From this we can see why they do some of the things that they are doing. It may not be fair to us now but as I keep saying this is a bureaucracy we are dealing with. Bureaucracy are very cumbersome and unwieldy. (Wait till they get a hold of health care) I have had many dealing with bureaucracy and even when in the military was part of it and remember we had to look at red flags of things that hadn't been seen for over 20 years but we were still forced to beware of these things. Us newbies could and would pass off the old red flags at times but we had daily and weekly meetings and supervisors who watched over us to be sure we followed the line. The superiors called the shots and we had very little input actually. I had less than 6 months left and even after much pressure to reenlist or join a private firm to do the same thing I started to just pass everything with red flags anyway on up. Most bureaucrats can't do this though if they want to keep getting that government paycheck or even have any hope for any advancement. For us to have any dealings with these people we have to play their game by their rules. There is no other way around it. That is why this forum is so helpful. Instead of trying to come up with ways around the system we should be getting together and finding out what is working and why and not working and why. I see patterns sometimes but who knows.

This may not be helpful but it explains why I say this is indeed a huge red flag.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Would both the petitioner and beneficiary going through simultaneous divorces 'just to be together' be a red flag? I'm thinking probably yes, but I was just wondering what the more experience VN members thought?

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Yes, Thats why we are in AP for so long...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

No evidence that divorce is red flag, but it might take longer to get the relevant background

information on the woman side. Because some change their names when marrying while some do not,

some change their names back after divorcing while some do not, and then there's the maiden becoming

the middle name. Add that to a bunch of people with same names and you have a lot of places for errors.

Timeline

No evidence that divorce is red flag, but it might take longer to get the relevant background

information on the woman side. Because some change their names when marrying while some do not,

some change their names back after divorcing while some do not, and then there's the maiden becoming

the middle name. Add that to a bunch of people with same names and you have a lot of places for errors.

Recent Divorce is a known red flag at HCMC as it is one component of the methods that visa fraud has been perpetrated in the past.. As has been stated, the petitioner divorces (on paper) marries a VN national, bring the VNspouse to the states only to get divorced after getting the GC and then they remarry the previous spouse with a bigger bank account in the end... the Vn spouse has been known to do the same thing... just to be able to bring the previous spouse and relatives to the US... Its seen as a way to get the foot in the door for the rest of the family...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.