MyR

Proving income with an I-864 as a "consultant" paid off payroll

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello all!

This is my first post regarding a fiancé visa application for my fiancé Raul (of Mexico!).

My question is about proving my income when it comes time to submit an I-864:

I am currently working as a "consultant" at a frame shop. I get paid in cash or checks (not through a payroll) so I don't have any pay-stubs to submit with my I-864. Come tax season my employer would cut me a 1099 tax form declaring my wages. Even if I have a 1099 by the time we will be submitting the I-864, it seems that a tax form alone just isn't enough evidence to demonstrate my current income.

Basically, I am trying to come up with the clearest way to demonstrate my current income. I have a few options that I am considering. If anyone can think of a better way, I'd love to hear it!

1. Create invoices for "services rendered" (aka how many hours I worked for a rate of X dollars per hour). For each invoice I could have my employer write me a check. The invoices and checks these would serve as records of my earnings.

2. Have my employer put me on payroll. My boss told me he would do this for me, however I know that it's an extra effort for him and would only want to do this if it was truly necessary. I've only been at my job 6 months now and I don't want to try my boss' patience with too many special requests!

Would not being on some "official" payroll hurts my chances of the consulate considering my income records as legit?

Is is best to pose this question to the specific consulate that will be looking at my fiancé's application?

Thanks guys,

Mary

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Basically you are self-employed and should treat your documentation as such. Prepare up to three years of tax transcripts or tax forms (if tax forms include the 1099s and Schedules such as Schedule C).

I do not think you need to create invoices although you could, it would not hurt. But you might want to provide bank statements showing regular deposits and hopefully copies of the checks from the employer. Normally people will say bank statements aren't required but in this case I think it will be helpful to document your varying income flow.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Basically you are self-employed and should treat your documentation as such. Prepare up to three years of tax transcripts or tax forms (if tax forms include the 1099s and Schedules such as Schedule C).

I do not think you need to create invoices although you could, it would not hurt. But you might want to provide bank statements showing regular deposits and hopefully copies of the checks from the employer. Normally people will say bank statements aren't required but in this case I think it will be helpful to document your varying income flow.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! Good luck to you as well!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.