Ban Hammer

why the left hates guns

412 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

LoL, I tried to search for some sort of official definition and my google search came back with a big fat block from the filters here at work. Guess i'm not supposed to be looking up weapons. For my own definition, I would consider it to be any semi-automatic or fully automatic rifle with a large capacity magazine (or drum).

following that, my .22 could be one.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

There's fairly clear definitions of what an Assault Rifle is on wikipedia. Apparently Adolf Hitler coined the term originally.

you'll find that assault rifle has no clear cut definition. even that wiki link excludes my ar-15, which many nuts like to call an assault rifle.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

No it doesn't.

yes, it does. you really might trying reading for a change

In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[7][8][9]

* It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);

* It must be capable of selective fire;

* It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;

* Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine.

* And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[7][8][9]

* It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);

* It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;

:lol: No, it doesn't Charles.

Filed: Timeline

That would exclude half the world's military arsenals! :rofl:

Timeline

:lol: No, it doesn't Charles.

perhaps you can tell me what selective fire my ar-15 has. :rolleyes:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

perhaps you can tell me what selective fire my ar-15 has. :rolleyes:

In the wiki page I linked to - the AR-15 is clearly mentioned and clear reasons are given why it does not meet the technical criteria that would make it an assault rifle.

For context, there is also an explanation of the difference between the term "assault rifle" as it was originally defined, and the way the term is applied in the US (along with the similar sounding terms like "assault weapon").

Timeline
Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles that share designs with assault rifles such as the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus not selective fire. Belt-fed weapons (such as the M249 SAW) or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines. However, in this case, the M249 SAW has the ability for both being fed by belt or detachable box magazine.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Timeline

In the wiki page I linked to - the AR-15 is clearly mentioned and clear reasons are given why it does not meet the technical criteria that would make it an assault rifle.

For context, there is also an explanation of the difference between the term "assault rifle" as it was originally defined, and the way the term is applied in the US (along with the similar sounding terms like "assault weapon").

why gee, thank you for finally agreeing with my earlier post finally

even that wiki link excludes my ar-15, which many nuts like to call an assault rifle.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *