7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi how are you?

I got a 797c (Adjustment of status) Form a month ago a few days later I got an appointment for my biometrics

I want to know what is this? Am I getting any kind of ID of a SSN what if 797c for and If Im getting any benefit from it\

thank you

What visa are you here on? Did you apply for Adjustment of Status? After you came here on your visa, you must adjust your status. Once you apply for Adjustment of Status, they will send you an appointment letter for biometrics. You must go to this appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken. Then your application can proceed. Adjustment of Status will give you either a conditional green card for two years or a ten year green card, based on whatever visa you are here on. Go to the Adjustment of Status forum and read the guides on visa journey to help you through this process.

peace (F)

08/02/2010 Green Card
04/12/2016 N-400 sent to USCIS Lockbox in AZ Filing Date
04/13/2016 N-400 Delivered to USCIS
04/18/2016 Check Cashed
04/13/2016 NOA I-797C Receipt Notice Date
05/12/2016 Fingerprints Bio-metrics appointment date
05/16/2016 E-notification of interview scheduling
07/16/2016 Received official letter regarding interview
08/16/2016 Date of Interview
09/01/2016 Date Oath Ceremony
Field Office: Chicago, IL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi how are you?

I got a 797c (Adjustment of status) Form a month ago a few days later I got an appointment for my biometrics

I want to know what is this? Am I getting any kind of ID of a SSN what if 797c for and If Im getting any benefit from it\

thank you

Every letter from USCIS comes with that number, whether it's a receipt, approval notice, appointment for biometrics or fingerprints, appointment, etc. Anything that comes from them will have that number.

For the SS number you have to go to a local Social Security office once you have your EAD or work permit, if you filed the i765.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi how are you?

thank you

It sounds like it's your notice that USCIS received your adjustment of status application.

When you apply for adjustment of status you are granted a period of authorized stay (lawful presence) in the US while your AOS application is being adjudicated. The I-797C receipt notice is your proof that you have an AOS application pending. Don't lose it - it could save you a lot of trouble if you have an encounter with immigration authorities.

If you also applied for employment authorization then you should get the EAD card within a month or two after your biometrics appointment. Unless your AOS application has been sent to the California Service Center, you'll get another I-797C about your green card interview appointment. Once you have either an EAD or green card then you can go to a Social Security office and apply for an SSN.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline

What visa are you here on? Did you apply for Adjustment of Status? After you came here on your visa, you must adjust your status. Once you apply for Adjustment of Status, they will send you an appointment letter for biometrics. You must go to this appointment to have your fingerprints and photo taken. Then your application can proceed. Adjustment of Status will give you either a conditional green card for two years or a ten year green card, based on whatever visa you are here on. Go to the Adjustment of Status forum and read the guides on visa journey to help you through this process.

peace (F)

Hi thanks a lot for your response

My mom get married with an US Citizen on 2001 he applied for me and my brother when we were in our country a a few years later we think that he stopped the process because he had problems with my mom

(we didnt hear anything from the lawyer for several years) me and my brother came illegally when we were here my mom and her husband were together we had a problem with him and he physically abused from my mom and we called the police he got arrested and we helped with the Judge.

Our lawyer told us that we were able to apply for VAWA and she sent our papers and in like one or two months we got the 797C and it says something about the Residency or Status Adjustment

It sounds like it's your notice that USCIS received your adjustment of status application.

When you apply for adjustment of status you are granted a period of authorized stay (lawful presence) in the US while your AOS application is being adjudicated. The I-797C receipt notice is your proof that you have an AOS application pending. Don't lose it - it could save you a lot of trouble if you have an encounter with immigration authorities.

If you also applied for employment authorization then you should get the EAD card within a month or two after your biometrics appointment. Unless your AOS application has been sent to the California Service Center, you'll get another I-797C about your green card interview appointment. Once you have either an EAD or green card then you can go to a Social Security office and apply for an SSN.

Thank you

I do appreciate your help

Every letter from USCIS comes with that number, whether it's a receipt, approval notice, appointment for biometrics or fingerprints, appointment, etc. Anything that comes from them will have that number.

For the SS number you have to go to a local Social Security office once you have your EAD or work permit, if you filed the i765.

Thanks my friend have a great day :thumbs:

Filed: Timeline

peace (F)

BTW i just checked and it says that I aplied with an I485

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My mom get married with an US Citizen on 2001 he applied for me and my brother when we were in our country a a few years later we think that he stopped the process because he had problems with my mom

(we didnt hear anything from the lawyer for several years) me and my brother came illegally when we were here my mom and her husband were together we had a problem with him and he physically abused from my mom and we called the police he got arrested and we helped with the Judge.

Our lawyer told us that we were able to apply for VAWA and she sent our papers and in like one or two months we got the 797C and it says something about the Residency or Status Adjustment

Ok. You probably posted your topic in the wrong subforum, then. There are two subforums for adjustment of status. One subforum (this one) is for people adjusting from family based visas, which is pretty much only K1's and K3's (and K2 and K4 derivatives for children). The other subforum is for people adjusting from other types of visas, like work, student, or tourist visas. VAWA is a completely different animal. Aside from refugee or asylum cases, as well as a few other very rare circumstances, VAWA is pretty much the only way to adjust status after an EWI entry.

I hope you have a good lawyer. VAWA is a pretty tough nut to crack, especially in you're adjusting after an EWI. Good luck! :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.