Tim and Erin

DS-160 and DS-156

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't filled out the DS-156 or DS-160 yet as required by the instructions from Montreal Embassy. I've heard that there may be trouble uploading photos. I don't have a scanner to scan a passport type photo. Are photos really necessary, or are we allowed to just bring them to the interview? I think I read on here somewhere that there are ways to just skip the photo part on the online forms and carry on. If anyone can enlighten me before I get started, I would appreciate it.

Also wondering what info is required on the DS-160 and DS-156 so I can have it ready before I fill them out online. Has anyone got an example?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

dammit I responded but hit teh wrong button adn lost it. Yes you need to upload to submit. Go look at DS156K and DS156 the DS160 has teh same questions , they will eventually phase out teh 156 but for now both are required.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just received packet 3 and it never mentioned DS 156.......... I am so confused! What do we need to send back with packet 3... DS 230 and fill out the DS 160 form and send the confirmation? Is that really it?

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

DS-230 asks... list employment from the last 10 years. Seriously? I've had like a million different jobs!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

Timeline

I haven't filled out the DS-156 or DS-160 yet as required by the instructions from Montreal Embassy. I've heard that there may be trouble uploading photos. I don't have a scanner to scan a passport type photo. Are photos really necessary, or are we allowed to just bring them to the interview? I think I read on here somewhere that there are ways to just skip the photo part on the online forms and carry on. If anyone can enlighten me before I get started, I would appreciate it.

Also wondering what info is required on the DS-160 and DS-156 so I can have it ready before I fill them out online. Has anyone got an example?

Are you having troubles with the site? Everytime I try and fill out the passport info, even though it only takes me a minute is says my session has expired and I have to do the entire thing all over again. It keeps doing it at the same step. What a nightmare... why couldn't it just be another print and fill out form huh?

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

DS-230 asks... list employment from the last 10 years. Seriously? I've had like a million different jobs!

they asked of us

;ds-156, ds-156k,ds-230 and the form we filled out on line which i forget at the moent what the form was. I just realized i used blue ink and i am starting to panic....ugh!

goodluck

Timeline

Ok it went past anyways this time but this form is weird. It's asking for an address where I intend to live but we don't have one. What to do?

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

Ok it went past anyways this time but this form is weird. It's asking for an address where I intend to live but we don't have one. What to do?

oo i am not sure - i am sure that you need one though...family?

also..fill out all the school info., i left it blank b/c i read somewhere...that we only had to for secondary and i only have h/s so, didnt bother, now i am kicking myself in the pants...does the consulate rfe as well?

Timeline

Tater/####### I know they were phasing out the DS156 and replacing it by teh DS160 so if yours didnt mention it then maybe it is not needed. Mine clearly asked for it as well as the DS156K my packet 3 letter was dated July 2 2010

Timeline

oo i am not sure - i am sure that you need one though...family?

also..fill out all the school info., i left it blank b/c i read somewhere...that we only had to for secondary and i only have h/s so, didnt bother, now i am kicking myself in the pants...does the consulate rfe as well?

I hope not! I am only listing the main jobs I had because I honestly have no idea when I had others. One of my jobs was with a company here in Ottawa, but technically I was working in a war zone in the middle east. I don't know what to put for location... because it's not like I was a resident... just on a Canadian base with a visa that they made us which wasnt real. Well I guess it was but I never applied for it, they just give them to us because our location was secret. I am putting Ottawa... the whole story is confusing and it was on a Canadian base even if it wasnt our land. Or maybe I'll put theater of operations or deployed operations. Ohh I don't know. Why did the Canadian Forces make this even more confusing for me!

I put my schooling all the way to elementary. Figured why not haha.

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

oh and for employment you will have to get a blank sheet of paper and identify it with your name case #, form # and the section you needed the extra space for.

Even if I don't know when I worked there?..... I was 16 years old at the time how could I remember (I don't even know the name of some of the places)! Geez. These immigration peeps have the nerve to be asking so many questions huh?

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

Hi Erin,

I just used my webcam to take a picture and cropped it myself... the site accepted it no problem. I have a mac so photo editing is easy, but with the right program if you have a PC you may be able to do it too.

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Timeline

Just put as many as you know, ...ie. the ones you received T4 slips for....if I were you I would go back to look at your taxes that you filed for the last 10 yrs (if you have I only have 7 or 8). When you signed I believe it says something that you filled the form out to the best of your knowledge they basically want to know that you arent being deceptive and i think they are trying to establish the likelyness that you will be able to find a job down there so you are not a public charge.

as for the picture i would just double check if it has to be the same as the ones you bring for your interview (ie teh passport ones) Im not sure one way or another..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Hello

Now I'm a little confused, maybe this is all different since your embassy is in Canada but I guess there is nothing to lose for asking. I have read the instructions of the documents I have to bring for the interview and I was asked to fill out form DS-156, but they do not mention anything about uploading a picture onto the DS-156 form! so I'm wondering if you read that somewhere else and I havent noticed. My checklist says

DS-156 Two (2) signed and completed copies of the DS-156 form must be submitted for each applicant, including minor children. This form must be completed electronically (no handwritten copies will be accepted) from the website http://evisaforms.state.gov and printed out. The DS-156 is also available from the U.S. Department of State Travel website (http://travel.statei.gov/visa/frvi/forms/forms_1342.html). The form must be filled out completely prior to the applicant’s personal interview. Each answer field must contain a response, even if the response is “Not Applicable.”

and the only part it mentions anything about photographs

Photographs: Four (4) recent photographs are required. The photographs must be, 2 by 2 inches (50x50mm) in size, with no head covering, and showing a full, front-face view against a white background. The applicant must sign their full name on the reverse side of each photograph.

I just wanna make sure I'm not overlooking any instruction! lol thank you guys!

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.