11 posts in this topic

Not necessarily. It depends on how the marriage is proved to have been bona fide when it began... you should be able to apply to have the conditions removed on your own. There are others here who know more about this than me.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Well Im sad to welcome another vjer to the club. hope you can work things out. Im still trying. but yes you can file for a waiver of the joint filling requirement based on

1. good faith marriage

2. abused spouse

3. hardship

gather as much stuff as possible which shows ur marriage is legitimate and was entered in good faith. yes you are going to need extra evidence than a standard case.

and search my previous posts, well all my posts are about this , you will see the questions i had and some nice people around here having good answers (thanks mermaid)

and last but not least keep in touch. i have done and doing some extensive research on the subject. we can share info.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

and if you can prove it was a genuine-legite marriage, then the application can be filed alone, and with the supporting evidence, is approved usually without interview.

The only problem however is the sponsor/co-sponsor.

If you, being the poster, are the one divorcing from your immigrant husband/wife......i would more worry about eht affidavit of support rather than the immigration side of things,....thats their responsibility now, not yours, except for the affidavit of support.

Immigration doesnt care in the end, they just want to see evidence and the bona-fide relationship that went with it.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

and if you can prove it was a genuine-legite marriage, then the application can be filed alone, and with the supporting evidence, is approved usually without interview.

whats the basis for this response? have you heard it or seen it first hand?

i would more worry about eht affidavit of support rather than the immigration side of things,....thats their responsibility now, not yours, except for the affidavit of support.

I guess I864 is the last thing to worry about, since we are talking about federal grants and the department which granted the benefits trying to get reimbursed through I864, which is totally un-likely if you think about it. (unless we are talking about some one who is totally un-employable and needs assistance)

i would worry more about how the divorce law work in ur state and how is your assets going to be splitted.

what ever it is and which side ur on (the side worries about the I864 or the side worried about the immigration aspect) wish you all the very best.

Filed: Timeline

If you, being the poster, are the one divorcing from your immigrant husband/wife......i would more worry about eht affidavit of support rather than the immigration side of things,....thats their responsibility now, not yours, except for the affidavit of support.

Immigration doesnt care in the end, they just want to see evidence and the bona-fide relationship that went with it.

HI! The Sponsor who is going to be or is already x-husband or x-wife is going to be responsible to financially support the Alien until he /she going to become a U.S Citizen even in case of the divorce.

So this obligation is not gonna be taken off from the Sponsor under the I-864 Affidavit Of Support form even in case of the divorce.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Well Im sad to welcome another vjer to the club. hope you can work things out. Im still trying. but yes you can file for a waiver of the joint filling requirement based on

1. good faith marriage

2. abused spouse

3. hardship

gather as much stuff as possible which shows ur marriage is legitimate and was entered in good faith. yes you are going to need extra evidence than a standard case.

and search my previous posts, well all my posts are about this , you will see the questions i had and some nice people around here having good answers (thanks mermaid)

and last but not least keep in touch. i have done and doing some extensive research on the subject. we can share info.

It sure would be nice if there was a divorce forum where all this information could be captured.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

not24get,

No.

Yodrak

Can any one tell me please what would happen if someone get divorced within the first 2 years while still a permanent resident with conditions.Would his permenent residency be revoked if divorced,thank you

...unless the marriage was not bona fide to begin with :)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

HI! The Sponsor who is going to be or is already x-husband or x-wife is going to be responsible to financially support the Alien until he /she going to become a U.S Citizen even in case of the divorce.

So this obligation is not gonna be taken off from the Sponsor under the I-864 Affidavit Of Support form even in case of the divorce.

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Sweetgirl, this is a very misleading answer in the case of a divorce from an immigrant alien spouse.

When you say "going to be responsible to financially spport" that makes it sound like someone will have to pay Alimony/support for YEARS. This is just frankly NOT TRUE.

In a FEW cases, a disgruntled ex-spouse has used the I-864 Affidavit in court to obtain a support benefit, but these cases are rare, few and far between.

As my immigration attorney told me, not once in his entire practice did he ever see the US government or any state or local agency attempt to use the I-864 to obtain money from a USC citizen for means-based benefits (welfare, food stamps, etc.)

So your answer is extremely misleading. I'm sure you mean well in giving such an answer but it's blatantly out of whack with the reality of the situation.

-- Dan

Best wishes. (F)

Sincerely.

Both of you are giving extremely inaccurate advice

If you read the following:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0110-wheeler.shtm

at the very bottom it says:

At the same time, it is important to provide a realistic assessment of the probability of actions to enforce the affidavit of support. The author is not aware of any successful actions to obtain reimbursement for means-tested benefit programs obtained by the alien, largely due to the following: (1) sponsored aliens are barred from receiving these benefits for a five-year period in most jurisdictions; (2) after this five-year period, the income of the sponsor is deemed to the alien in determining financial eligibility; and (3) most states have not implemented a system for seeking such reimbursement in cases where the alien does access benefits. Over the course of the last nine years, only a handful of actions have been brought against sponsors by the sponsored alien, and all have been by disgruntled spouses.

Again it says in NINE years, only a ~handful~ of actions have been brought against sponsors and all have been by disgruntled spouses.

And from this article it says:

that the sponsor’s obligation to support the sponsored immigrant under the Affidavit of Support only terminated upon the occurrence of one of the five circumstances: 1) the sponsor’s death, 2) the sponsored immigrant’s death, 3) the sponsored immigrant becoming a US citizen, 4) the sponsored immigrant permanently departing the US, or 5) the sponsored immigrant being credited with a total of 40 qualifying quarters of work.

so it's NOT only until the immigrant naturalizes, which was also incorrect

That article is from:

http://www.ilw.com/articles/2006,0608-mehta.shtm

And note that in the florida case it says:

It is noted that the state court in Florida that had ordered the dissolution of the marriage did not award alimony or support to either party.

Which is consistent with Atty Wheeler's analysis as well.

I discussed this IN DEPTH with my family law attorney as well, and she agrees with my interpretation.

Or actually I should say, I agree with hers, as she was representing me, and we structured our divorce settlement so this issue can NOT be raised by my ex-.

-- Dan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.