birdnerd

Canadian DCFs Waiting for Interview in Montreal

789 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys,

Don't know if anyone really pays attention to this thread anymore, but my husband had his interview on Friday and he was approved! Hooray! I want to thank everyone who helped us out along our journey (although most people are no longer here :) ). It still doesn't quite feel like it's over yet until my husband gets his passport back. Anyways, we're planning on moving in just over a month so we got a busy month ahead.

- Sam

Great news. Congratulations! star_smile.gif

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

I didn't help but wanted to say congratulations! We still can't get an interview. My sister got her packet 4 and booked the same day. We did an experiment and took one kid off and we can see appointments then. Very frustrating as you can't actually get anyone to help you with this. Feeling like we have been through all of this and will never be able to get an actual appointment. BTW I check about 5 times a day at this point.

Thanks Norah! I'm sorry about the problems you are having. I'm shocked that there is nothing they can do on their end when you end. How many people are you sponsoring? I would keep calling and ask if there is anyone there that can help. The people who answer the phone may not be able to do anything, but perhaps someone else?

- Sam

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Norah! I'm sorry about the problems you are having. I'm shocked that there is nothing they can do on their end when you end. How many people are you sponsoring? I would keep calling and ask if there is anyone there that can help. The people who answer the phone may not be able to do anything, but perhaps someone else?

- Sam

Thanks Sam! I finally got a response, so at least I now know that someone is actually looking into it. this is their response "Thank you for your patience while we continue to investigate your concern. It is taking longer than anticipated and we expect to complete the investigation soon." So I hope that they can fix the problem soon so we can make an appointment. Guess I just need to stop stressing about it now that I know they are aware there is actually in issue.

I am sponsoring my husband and 4 kids. To register my kids as USC born abroad I had to have lived in the US for 5 years, I have lived most of my life in Canada but about 4.5 yrs in the US, just shy of the needed time. Plus I would have had to prove that time, which might have been tricky.

Is this referring to my questions about my husband and myself looking for apartments down in the States in a couple of weeks? My husband is the Canadian and he is planning on going with me. We have planned our trip, bought the plane tickets, etc. This is the first i've heard of this. Can someone confirm if this is really true. This is really freaking me out. I need my husband down there to help out.

- Sam

I've traveled to the US many many times since mine has been in process, with NO problem.

After no word from Montreal for the green light to set my interview date, I emailed them and then they immediately EMAILED me the letter giving me the go to schedule it!

Weird…so if you are in a rush, you just need to email and bug them, I guess…

My question is can I enter the US at POE officially and then go home to Canada until we're really ready to move?

I've traveled to the US many many times since mine has been in process, with NO problem.

After no word from Montreal for the green light to set my interview date, I emailed them and then they immediately EMAILED me the letter giving me the go to schedule it!

Weird…so if you are in a rush, you just need to email and bug them, I guess…

My question is can I enter the US at POE officially and then go home to Canada until we're really ready to move?

Hi there,

I'm pretty certain that you can return to Canada, but I imagine you probably would need to show that you're planning on returning to the US. I've seen this questions asked before so I would do a quick forum search. Also take a look in this thread for a discussion housewife and OBX had on this subject back on November 9th, 2010.

Take care,

- Sam

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on Electronic Processing (EP) and using the new online DS-260 form in regards to us DCF/Embassy filers? Just read about the DS-260 in another thread and it seems like a new thing implemented this year in order to help speed up the line to schedule interviews! The phase I'm at with our DCF CR-1 process is that I've gotten the packet 3 (no mention of DS-260 in there), and I was planning to mail back the DS-230 and checklist today-- when are you able to 'opt-in' for Electronic Processing? Is that even applicable to DCF'ers? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Timeline

Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on Electronic Processing (EP) and using the new online DS-260 form in regards to us DCF/Embassy filers? Just read about the DS-260 in another thread and it seems like a new thing implemented this year in order to help speed up the line to schedule interviews! The phase I'm at with our DCF CR-1 process is that I've gotten the packet 3 (no mention of DS-260 in there), and I was planning to mail back the DS-230 and checklist today-- when are you able to 'opt-in' for Electronic Processing? Is that even applicable to DCF'ers? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

can't help with how the electronic one works, but it only took me 10 days from the day I sent my ds-230 until they drafted their letter. Came a few days after that in the mail. I was under the impression that EP could be done by anyone that applied for the I-130 after Octoberish 2010, we applied before then, so I didn't even try. GL and hope someone can answer your question

Timeline

I'm sorry it's taking so long for you. I hope you can get your interview soon.

I have been busy getting settled. It's only been 1 month and 2 days since we moved back but it feels like so much longer. I'm so happy to be home.

I feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes with all the choices I know have. 350 chanels on tv, I go to the grocery and see all the foods I loved, brand names etc. But for me it was easy. I had a SS# of course so I could just do the switch over. For my hubby the wait to get his SS# (10 days) was the longest wait ever, he couldn't do much without one.

He is settled in as far as adjustment, we spent a lot of time going back and forth so he is not new to the US. For both of us we are living in a new city, so thankfully we have GPS in cars which makes a huge difference.

DH is still setteling in with a few things and the apartment isn't quite 100% all done and the only thing left is for him to get the permanent green card in the mail.

Timeline.

We crossed on the Feb 15.

He received his SS# about 10 days after that.

He received a Welcome letter about 2 weeks after that saying his permanent card should arrive within 30 days and if not to call the # listed.

Timeline

My one piece of advice to all those moving home with foreign spouses.

Remember that even if you kept a US credit card and have credit, your foreign spouse may not.

Even if they get a SS# they still may not be in public records.

This can be tough if they try to buy a cell phone even. Be prepared.

I don't know about anyone else. But the hardest thing is really the credit thing. For me it was not an issue. But for my husband the canadian it's work, it can be done and we are doing it, but it's work.

Another piece of advice is if you are with TD Bank, and you keep your account open and credit card open, they will do a canadian credit search for you so it's easier to obtain US credit for the canaidan citizen. Don't close it till you switch over.

Depending on each person's situation, take it easy. It can seem overwhelming but it will all work out in the end.

I'm so happy I am back home, it is so worth it. My life changed. I didn't work in Canada and now I am the one working running a business, idiot for an employee and stressing getting it off the ground. But it was worth it. If the business does ok, I will be totally happy.

Hubby is busy dealing with the apartment and in time he will be bored enough to look for a job when he is ready. My goal is the business to do enough that he can just help me and expand and we can work together. His big challenge now is being the one home. He misses me and isn't used to being home alone. I was always there for him. He comes to the business sometimes a day or two a week for a few hours.

Good luck to everyone.

Timeline

Glad things are going well for you Housewife! Guess you need to change your user name now ;)

Up date on me. I finally got an interview date! YA! Well actually two time slots. FINALLY someone went and found out for me that you can only have 4 people in one time slot so we needed to book two. So frustrating, if that is the rule then they need to tell people! Or make it so the website only allows you to enter in four names. Glad I kept calling. I got an email the next day saying, we see you were able to book. Well at least they will email you once you figure out their mess!

Congrats Norah! And thanks so much for the advice earlier. Just curious when your interview date will be? Trying to get an idea of the wait times now in regards to interview date availability. And if you didnt choose the earliest date possible, do you remember how soon one was available? Good luck with everything from this point on :)

Timeline

I didn't book it so I didn't see what was available. They are now booking mid July. There were some appointments on the 12th but I am sure they are gone now. We are the 13th. They aren't booking Aug. yet. Most days have appointment some are taken. Good Luck.

Timeline

Congrats Norah, wishing you the best of luck.

Nah, I'll still call myself that. I don't mind. Except I'm not doing it anymore, lol.

Update on us, hubby got is official green card. We have been married a long time so no conditions and it's valid for 10 years. He will apply for citizenship as soon as he can.

Wishing everyone the best of luck.

I'm around if I can help send me a note or post here and I'll come and check when I can.

People here helped me, I want to help others if I can.

Hi guys,

It really sounds like good news all around which is very exciting.

housewife - it is so great to hear how things are going for you and your husband.

I had a feeling that credit for my husband would be an issue, but can't they simply do Canadian credit checks?

As for myself and my husband, we are currently crazy busy getting ready for the move. We leave in just under a month now, but it feels like there a million things to do. I know it will all be worth it, though!

Thanks,

- Sam

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.