Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

K-1 got married in the States, but husband needs to continue work oversea

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Timeline

My fiance got her K-1 Visa, and we plan to go back to Oregon to get married next month. Since I am currently working in Beijing, China, I tried to apply for a job but heared nothing at all. I think after we get married, I need to go back to China to countinue work, that means we need to be separated for while. Do you think this will affect her to receive the conditional permaent residency?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Timeline

As an immigration officer, I would ask your wife this:

Do you think it would be impossible for your husband to find a job in the United States of America? Do you know how gigantic the United States of America are? Do you think your husband prefers working in China over living with you, his newly wed wife?

I guess you get the picture. I understand the need to make a living, but I'm not easily convinced that a husband who's in love and just got married chooses -- and it's a choice -- to continue working in China, instead of looking for a job in the United States and being with his wife.

Luckily, I am not an immigration officer, and I don't know how immigration officers think, but if they think in any way similar, that would be a problem.

Another component is duration, of course. If your wife gets her Green Card and you continue to stay in China for a few more months, let's say half a year and then return to the States, she should be fine. If you stay there for a year or longer, it will be difficult to make a point to USCIS that this is a real marriage as seen in this culture.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess what the USC does for a job would have a bearing on the case, if say he was a Government employee, such as Military, DOD etc then the Immigration people might be a little more understanding. Truthfully though there may be a way to work around this, if you marry and both you and your wife go back to China, her getting the special permit to stay longer than one year out of the country may be an option.

Whatever happens you are going to have to show proof of marriage, photo's etc, are you prepared for all of that and the questioning?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China

once she has VISA IN HAND - check the expiration date.

Suggest, instead, that you replan ALL OF YOUR FUTURE LIFE

around a calendar date ,


[expiration date - 1 week]

instead of your current plan.

Just saying.


but to answer yer original question -

no - will not affect anything on the AOS. Pay particular attention to the I-864, though - make sure either YOU qualify as sole sponser, or you've got joint-sponser in hand.

ROC - maybe, but there are documentary evidence things to be done , to squash any silliness

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...