one...two...tree

Republicans To Unemployed: Why Won't You All Just Get Some Jobs Already?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Oh well, let's not make it personal.

Yes, I am smarter and better educated than 99% of world population. Big deal, it's a large crowd anyway. :lol:

I have done the bottom feeder jobs when I was young though.

I do not generalize and say that nobody abuses the system. They do. I knew one guy who did, he was a loser too. But to be outraged that someone gets unemployment is silly. And to make a blanket statement that everyone should rush and get that low paid job to drive wages even lower is even more silly.

PS. My employer is helping to pay for my future unemployment, if that should ever happen.

So you're saying you're better than everyone else? That you are too good for those jobs..? Too low bottom feeding for you? I see... Well, at least that's how you're coming off. It's funny figuring their employers are helping pay for your unemployment...

As Legacy mentioned though, there are plenty of other options than flipping burgers.

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

So you're saying you're better than everyone else? That you are too good for those jobs..? Too low bottom feeding for you? I see... Well, at least that's how you're coming off. It's funny figuring their employers are helping pay for your unemployment...

Where did Rika say they were unemployed?

Filed: Timeline

And to make a blanket statement that everyone should rush and get that low paid job to drive wages even lower is even more silly.

People who have run out of UI have been unemployed for a very long time. They should start taking jobs other than those they were originally looking for. And yes, if they all collectively decided to do that you'd see a drop in wages, a drop in the cost to hire and a commensurate increase in hiring.

As Legacy mentioned though, there are plenty of other options than flipping burgers.

Let's assume walmart pays $10 an hour, which as we know is less. And someone works 40 hour weeks and that includes breaks.

Works out to be $400 a week before taxes. Basically $1,600 a month gross. ~ $1,377 net in Texas.

Now lets minus basic expenses.

• Minus $700 a month for rent in a apartment
  • Minus $150 Car loan for a shitbox.
  • Minus $60 fuel, which means you basically drive from work to home
  • Minus $300 for food, living on basic #######

Leaves $167 for savings, emergencies, etc etc. How is anyone supposed to get by with that sort of money? Let alone try to get ahead. They're basically stuck in a rut working for the Waltons and shareholders. Almost forget, they have no health insurance or are provided with a policy which costs about as much as not having coverage.

The equivalent person in AUS, would at least bring home $2,252 USD gross. As well as 4 weeks vacation, sick-pay and quality health insurance. Under that scenario you are correct, it's a viable option to work a less skilled job to make ends meet. Under the status-quo here, anyone fired with no UI is basically screwed and will most likely be forced to file for bankruptcy.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Let's assume walmart pays $10 an hour, which as we know is less. And someone works 40 hour weeks and that includes breaks.

Works out to be $400 a week before taxes. Basically $1,600 a month gross. ~ $1,377 net in Texas.

Leaves $167 for savings, emergencies, etc etc. How is anyone supposed to get by with that sort of money? Let alone try to get ahead. They're basically stuck in a rut working for the Waltons and shareholders. Almost forget, they have no health insurance or are provided with a policy which costs about as much as not having coverage.

The equivalent person in AUS, would at least bring home $2,252 USD gross. As well as 4 weeks vacation, sick-pay and quality health insurance. Under that scenario you are correct, it's a viable option to work a less skilled job to make ends meet. Under the status-quo here, anyone fired with no UI is basically screwed and will most likely be forced to file for bankruptcy.

This is what my husband earns in his office job. Which means if we have any hope of getting an apartment and not being completely broke, I need to get something that pays a lot more. And also includes quality health insurance, seeing as his policy means he pays $500 a month!

I get what people are saying, but it's a bit idealistic.

I've been looking for work in my field for the past 6 months and had to look broader because opportunities were scarce. I can't find an office job that doesn't need plenty of experience, and even retail are only hiring part-time around here. So even if I were to go straight to "the bottom", I wouldn't have hours or money needed to be able to pay for everything we need to be on our own.

I wish people wouldn't use blanket statements like "just get a job" to apply to everyone. it doesn't always work.

Edited by Gemmie

This is what my husband earns in his office job. Which means if we have any hope of getting an apartment and not being completely broke, I need to get something that pays a lot more. And also includes quality health insurance, seeing as his policy means he pays $500 a month!

I get what people are saying, but it's a bit idealistic.

I've been looking for work in my field for the past 6 months and had to look broader because opportunities were scarce. I can't find an office job that doesn't need plenty of experience, and even retail are only hiring part-time around here. So even if I were to go straight to "the bottom", I wouldn't have hours or money needed to be able to pay for everything we need to be on our own.

I wish people wouldn't use blanket statements like "just get a job" to apply to everyone. it doesn't always work.

The way we achieve 'balance' in the economy again is when people downgrade their standards of living to match their new incomes and local governments support the transition. Building codes are a huge problem, for example. The towns around here won't allow > 1 family to share a single family home while those single family home residents no longer have the incomes they once did.

We may be looking at a return to old school tenements, the kind they had in Hell's Kitchen a hundred years ago.

It's funny you should say that because out of curiosity I asked some stores in the area and none of them had work. So this go work at McDonalds would be great and all if they actually had jobs available. The fact, there are five applicants for every one job available.

You simply cannot just get by on a minimum wage job here anyway, that is reality. It's why illegal aliens have to be shipped in to do the work and live in cardboard boxes with three people.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

If you live in your parent's house (apartment cost $0) or in Section 8 (apartment cost $200),

you can afford to have this job. Yay. Oh wait, then there is the trailer park, trailer rental - may be $300?

The rest of the unemployed better find real jobs, or else young kids and poor people will be forced into unemployment instead.

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am against the laws for further UI benefoits for other reasons than what should be available.

I apologize if I am behind the times but doesn't the bill that is now in the Senate prevent certain people from recieving the benefits although they are equally entitled to them as anyone else that worked?

This is where I differ with the GOP I think the UI may be needed but the knee jerk laws that added to such a bill make it unconstitutional.

Steve your thoughts on this you seem to reseach alot of the contitutionality of laws especially immigration? (not changing subject just asking for your research skills)

If passed the benefits should extend to all citizens that have payed into the system and are now unemployed.

Also higher education is respectable but is not a guarnatee in your personal or finacial success; flipping burgers when unemployed or working two part time jobs can help stave off the wolves.

Get rid of the financial debt you can no longer afford due to being laid off or fired and live with in your means; no one owes you anything more than what you earned during your last pay period.

I know several people with higher education working 2 jobs and either supporting a family or supporting an ex and kids and they live well below their means and are not asking for handouts. (at least at this time.)

I can not say personally that I worked 2 jobs at anyone time but I was never unemployed for long.

Timeline

Agreed, higher education is worthless and no reason to not flip burgers. The scientist who discovered GFP is a taxi driver now, while the other scientist, who picked up the first one's project, won a Noble prize. Huh.

The technical problem is, if I show my resume to a potential flip burger joint manager, I will never be hired. Why? I am smarter and more capable, I would take over his job in a month. Then I would leave for greener pastures. Will he hire me? HELL, no. Getting a job for which you are severely overqualified is very hard.

Secondly, there is a certain number of jobs available and a certain number of unemployed available for those jobs. If sheer number of the unemployed is higher than the number of jobs offered... not everyone will be employed. Simple as that. The ones left with no resources will get angry and steal, rob and kill. The weaker ones will just die in their cardboard boxes.

It seems that many here think that poverty is when you can't afford your large house and need to downsize and go to restaurants less. No - poverty is when you never had a house and you do not have a debt you can't afford to pay off, that is because you never had a credit score and all your "bad" debt is with gangsters who will break your legs if you attempt to "file" for bankruptcy. You do not have a car, and to get places you fake your way into public transportation. You find your furniture in the dumpsters behind other people's houses. You do not own washer and drier - you do your laundry by hand. Your kids wear hand me downs from your friend's kids. That's poverty.

If you think it is OK for a professional to come and take the job from the person described above (say a Blahmart gig), then I disagree. Every time you get a job, somebody else does not. If you turn this into survival of the fittest game, the poor will get fit and find their source of income by all means necessary. And if your means are zero, will you live within your means?

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

... no one owes you anything more than what you earned during your last pay period.

I'm sorry but unless one has flipped burgers for the last decade, there is no excuse for the amount of money you've made in the last pay period being all the money you have. Anyone who can say that and mean it is pathetic.