Nicamah

When do I receive SSN and GC on arrival to US??

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

I arrived with my American husband June 23,2010 so have been in the US for three weeks now. I was told at our interview that I should receive my SSN and GC with in three weeks. I have seen some jobs that I would like to apply for, but am not sure if I should wait until I have the documents in my hand, or tell potential employers that I am waiting for my papers. Also, is there anyway in which I can track it? any feedback on this would be appreciated. thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I arrived with my American husband June 23,2010 so have been in the US for three weeks now. I was told at our interview that I should receive my SSN and GC with in three weeks. I have seen some jobs that I would like to apply for, but am not sure if I should wait until I have the documents in my hand, or tell potential employers that I am waiting for my papers. Also, is there anyway in which I can track it? any feedback on this would be appreciated. thank you.

i well suggest that you wait until u have it in hand.. bc you going to need your SSN b4 you can fill out a job application

Filed: Country:
Timeline

They cannot hire you until you have your SSN, the I-551 Stamp on your Visa in your passport will act as a Temp Greencard for both SSA and any potential employer.

I would suggest you go the the local SSA office and apply for your SSN, it isn't uncommon for USCIS to "miss" sending the paperwork to them.

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

^^Agree.

I checked off the appropriate box on the DS-230 but 3 weeks after my POE I went to the local office and applied for my SSN after reading numerous posts about filers that had waited a long time for their card. I took my passport, birth certificate and completed application form. ( SSN Application ) I had the card in 6 days.

If you have received your Welcome letter you can use the receipt number on it to check the status of your green card production on the USICS Site. I received mine 4 weeks after my POE.

Good luck!

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

^^Agree.

I checked off the appropriate box on the DS-230 but 3 weeks after my POE I went to the local office and applied for my SSN after reading numerous posts about filers that had waited a long time for their card. I took my passport, birth certificate and completed application form. ( SSN Application ) I had the card in 6 days.

If you have received your Welcome letter you can use the receipt number on it to check the status of your green card production on the USICS Site. I received mine 4 weeks after my POE.

Good luck!

Thank you for the responses.

We haven't been here quite a month yet, so I will wait a little longer for the welcome letter. I went to the Social Security website and they said if I checked the box on the visa application, the SS will automatically be issued, but the local SS office is not far so I will go there next week anyway.

Thanks again.

Yours impatiently waiting

Nicamah

Edited by Nicamah

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone.

hello wait is about 6 weeks my wife arrived 06-02-2010 and she recieved her greencard yesterday 07-16-2010 ok goodluck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.