zinynano

N-400 employment information (part 6)

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Part 6 B. of N-400 asks for employment/school information in the past 5 years. I've held a couple on-campus jobs as a college student, and I was wondering if I should bother listing them. At first my thought was no, but then at the same time I don't want to omit anything.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Part 6 B. of N-400 asks for employment/school information in the past 5 years. I've held a couple on-campus jobs as a college student, and I was wondering if I should bother listing them. At first my thought was no, but then at the same time I don't want to omit anything.

Thanks!

Where have you worked (or, if you were a student, what schools did you attend) during the last five years? Include military service.

Begin with your current or latest employer and then list every place you have worked or studied for the last five years. If you need

more space, use a separate sheet of paper

It does say everywhere.....I assume you'll be listing your school time as well?

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Where have you worked (or, if you were a student, what schools did you attend) during the last five years? Include military service.

Begin with your current or latest employer and then list every place you have worked or studied for the last five years. If you need

more space, use a separate sheet of paper

It does say everywhere.....I assume you'll be listing your school time as well?

Yeah. Maybe I should somehow specify in what department I worked within the school because it would look pretty redundant otherwise.

Yeah. Maybe I should somehow specify in what department I worked within the school because it would look pretty redundant otherwise.

Add an extra piece of paper to explain what student jobs you held if not enough space. I would rather be redundant than be accused of purposefully hiding any information.

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Other Timeline

Sure you do.

Why taking even the slightest risk in regard to your naturalization in order to save a few minutes of time writing all that stuff down?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you are both student and employee, how do you fill it out?

If this part needs to be chronological, then it will be a mess up writing the school and the work if they don't begin and end at the same time, right?

You should list them all. I am working at the college i attend as a work study student and i listed the job i have here at school.

Citizenship

Service Center : Dallas/Lewisville, Texas Lockbox

CIS Office : Norfolk VA

05/31/2011 - Date Filed

06/03/2011 - NOA Date

06/08/2011 - Check Cashed

06/30/2011 - Bio. Appointment

07/05/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

08/15/2011 - Yellow Letter received - Dated August 11TH

09/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

09/15/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

10/19/2011 - Interview Appointment Date (Passed)

10/24/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath scheduled

10/26/2011 - Received Oath letter

11/16/2011 - Oath Taking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you are both student and employee, how do you fill it out?

If this part needs to be chronological, then it will be a mess up writing the school and the work if they don't begin and end at the same time, right?

Use separate lines for each, also have to include the dates, nice to have them in chronological order, but if the dates coincide, doesn't make any difference.

Stepdaughters key activity for the last five years was and still is a student, she went to two different schools, we listed those two schools at the top in chronological order. All of her menial minimum wage short part time jobs were listed in chronological order afterwards. Can only say, wasn't a problem for her.

Was it a pain in the butt? Yes it was, took more time on that section than the rest of the N-400, but has to be done. At least we never moved since she came here, and her permanent address was always our home, so that was just one line. With college or military, always only had to post your permanent address. Now if all those dorms or apartments were your permanent address, you would have to list those as well.

Timeline

Plus filling out that AR-11 each time. She came home every weekend, was a bit outrageous what the charge for that dorm room that isn't even as large as our bathroom. And to add insult to injury, not even tax deductible, that miserably low $3,500 dependent deduction is suppose to cover that.

But neither are your transportation expenses to and from work or school deductible. But if you are a multi-millionaire with a 47 million buck private jet, that and all of its operating expenses are 100% tax deductible. Welcome to the USA!

Just make sure you post your two buck an hour job.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks NickD,

I'm gonna do as you did for this part.My other question is that, I have studied abroad too, (2times five-month). Do you think in this part of question, they are concerned about where i worked & studied in the U.S. or i should mention the other country as well?

The problem is that during that time out, i used my U.S. permanent address (that i live in right now) in AR-11 form.So what you think it's the best solution?

thanks

Timeline

Thanks NickD,

I'm gonna do as you did for this part.My other question is that, I have studied abroad too, (2times five-month). Do you think in this part of question, they are concerned about where i worked & studied in the U.S. or i should mention the other country as well?

The problem is that during that time out, i used my U.S. permanent address (that i live in right now) in AR-11 form.So what you think it's the best solution?

thanks

Stepdaughter is going to study abroad, she won't have that problem, already a US citizen. But yes, I would certainly list it.

Should be a college course on reading between the lines, In filling out the N-400, its more of a test as to how honest and complete you are then what you write down. Read that a percentage of these applications are gone over with a fine tooth comb, while I can't seem to win the lottery and get picked for that, seem to get picked for other stuff, like a tax audit.

• 7 years later...

I am filling N400 and got stuck on employment history.

How do I report the employment history due to an overlap between a part-time position and receiving unemployment insurance benefits from dept of labor?

I am doing a part-time job since July 2017. Due to the loss of my previous full-time position I received unemployment benefits from dept. of labor from Feb 1, 2017 to November 2017.

Which way do you think is correct for me to fill?

1.       July 1, 2017 to present – Part-time position

Feb 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017 – unemployed

Or should I fill the total time I received unemployment benefits as unemployed like the following

2.       July 1, 2017 to present – Part-time position

Feb 1, 2017 to November 30, 2017

Please let me know your suggestions!

Thank you

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.