Mags

Custard

38 posts in this topic

I like a nice custard tart.

Don't we all?

Which reminds me of a fancy dress pub crawl in the 80's...those were the days :)

I make homemade flan - the Spanish version of custard. It is the awesome! :star:

Recipe required :)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Mmmmm, custard tart. :luv:

I made a lamb hotpot for dinner this evening, and I have a steak and stilton pie ready for tomorrow evening. I confess to not making the piecrust myself. I hate making piecrust.

Oh, Mags! I have your butter chicken paste! I am back in Canada at the moment but I will mail it just as soon as I'm Stateside.

Um, Krikit, where do you get butter chicken paste? I want!!

Also, will you be back in DC July 26 - 30?

And, Mags, thanks fro reminding me that scrummy, yummy custard exists. Now I am craving sticky toffee pudding with warm custard.

If it weren't so darn hot I'd try making an egg custard, but I cannot deal with having the oven on these days.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mmmmm, custard tart. :luv:

I made a lamb hotpot for dinner this evening, and I have a steak and stilton pie ready for tomorrow evening. I confess to not making the piecrust myself. I hate making piecrust.

Oh, Mags! I have your butter chicken paste! I am back in Canada at the moment but I will mail it just as soon as I'm Stateside.

Ooooh, thanks and there's no rush!

Are you posting it tomorrow? :blush:

Um, Krikit, where do you get butter chicken paste? I want!!

Also, will you be back in DC July 26 - 30?

And, Mags, thanks fro reminding me that scrummy, yummy custard exists. Now I am craving sticky toffee pudding with warm custard.

If it weren't so darn hot I'd try making an egg custard, but I cannot deal with having the oven on these days.

I have two packets of custard left from my UK visit.

I'm actually loathe to use them because once they're gone there's no place round here to buy more - except online.

I just think they should be used sparingly and for something special! :star:

Edited by Mags

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Is time to experiment with 'from scratch' approach, yes? I have to do 'from scratch' if I'm gonna eat it, I'm on South Beach Diet.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

For Madame Cleo

Stacie's Flan (and yes, I gave it my name) :lol:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

3/4 cup sugar for caramel

1 can evaporated milk

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup milk

6 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt sugar in saucepan - will take about 10 - 15 minutes. Do not let it burn. Also, no matter how tempting DO NOT even think about touching sugar. You WILL burn yourself.

Put caramel into a 2 1/2 quart ceramic dish (I prefer the French White Corningware - it has worked well for me) swirl the caramel around the dish allowing the caramel to coat the bottom and sides of the dish. One suggestion, so that the caramel spreads more evenly, place the dish into hot water for a little bit - dry well.

In bowl or large blender, mix all six ingredients well. Pour into caramelized dish.

Create a hot water bath and pour the water about 1/2 to 2/3 up the side of the ceramic dish.

Bake for 65 - 75 minutes. If you notice that it is still a little jiggly, turn your oven off and leave it in there for a few minutes more. It will finish cooking with the residual heat. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once it has cooled, place into refrigerator for at least 3 hours. When you go to unmold the flan, carefully pass the sides with a knife. Use a decent size platter to invert your flan. Flip the flan with the platter. The flan should slide down to the platter. Remove dish and flan will be ready to serve. Slice and serve with some of the caramel.

*Note - if you want chocolate flan, add 6 tablespoons of good cocoa and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the milk/egg blend. It is divine!

Edited by Staashi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For Madame Cleo

1 can evaporated milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup milk

6 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

Melt sugar in saucepan - will take about 10 - 15 minutes. Do not let it burn. Also, no matter how tempting DO NOT even think about touching sugar. You WILL burn yourself.

Put caramel into a 2 1/2 quart ceramic dish (I prefer the French White Corningware - it has worked well for me) swirl the caramel around the dish allowing the caramel to coat the bottom and sides of the dish. One suggestion, so that the caramel spreads more evenly, place the dish into hot water for a little bit - dry well.

In bowl or large blender, mix all six ingredients well. Pour into caramelized dish.

Create a hot water bath and pour the water about 1/2 to 2/3 up the side of the ceramic dish.

Bake for 65 - 75 minutes. If you notice that it is still a little jiggly, turn your oven off and leave it in there for a few minutes more. It will finish cooking with the residual heat. Remove from oven and let cool.

Once it has cooled, place into refrigerator for at least 3 hours. When you go to unmold the flan, carefully pass the sides with a knife. Use a decent size platter to invert your flan. Flip the flan with the platter. The flan should slide down to the platter. Remove dish and flan will be ready to serve. Slice and serve with some of the caramel.

*Note - if you want chocolate flan, add 6 tablespoons of good cocoa and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the milk/egg blend. It is divine!

Oh boy oh boy! that must be rich (flan). I just used condense milk, evaporated, 10 egg yolks and vanilla. :) When I first tried it here, I took me almost 2 hrs. I didn't realize that we are in a high altitude where baking needs more time. :P Now, I kinda estimate the time and just increase the temp.

"Our life & material possesions are just lent to us. We are all passers by. We bring nothing when we die,but leave behind the LOVE we have given & the goodness we have done."

For Madame Cleo

1 can evaporated milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup milk

6 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

Yay, thank you. I will be able to try this because I have been given the cholesterol all clear from the Dr! (although he did suggest I increase my aerobic exercise and fiber intake - which is going to be difficult but I will try!)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .