wilgrace

WHEN TO FILE I-751....I'm confused!!!!

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I just want to ask what is the correct time to file 1-751 for removal condition...on my point of entry last June 24, 2010 the officer told me to file a form I-751 90 days before our wedding anniversary....and he gave me this paper with the letter head of HOMELAND SECURTIY CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION office of Field Operation...memorandum dated June 24, 2010 stated...

To: my name

Pursuant to section 216 of the immigration and Naturalization Act, you have been granted CONDITIONAL PERMANENT residence status as of 24 OCT 2010. You and your petitioning spouse must file a form 1-751, petition to remove the condition on residence with in 90 days period preceding the second anniversary of your admission for permament residence.

If a petition, for 1-751, is not filed within theis period, your conditional permanent residence status will automatically terminate and you will be subject to removal from the United State.....and then the officer let me sign it and he sign it...

I was really confuse for 3 officers doing our papers on our point of entry one for me one for the next window and so the other window...the officer who assist my papers didn's say anything the officer who assist my 13 year old daughter told me that we have been granted 2 year green card stamps on our passport for our married is less than 2 years and we have to wait on the mail later for the immigration will send our 10 year green card after 2 year anniversary of our wedding...and the officer who assist my son papers asked me when did we get married so i said OCT. 24, 2008 and he gave the form which is stated above and said i have to file 1-751 90 days before our wedding anniversary....it's confussing i dont know who i am going to follow.....anyone can help?

Edited by wilgrace

Hello,

No, it's not the date from your wedding anniversary. It's 90 days before the Conditional green card expires. Look up the guides here at VJ or look at the instructions on the I-751.

4.28.07 - Married in Jalisco Mexico - Cozumel Honeymoon for 2 weeks

***I-130***

5.24.07 - I-130 Received in CSC

7.14.07 - Received NOA1 (WOW after 6 weeks, I was worried...called INS and told me CSC had a computer "glitch" causing delays on printing Receipt notices and approvals)

10.30.07 - APPROVED No email, the NOA2 came in the mail...hard copy.

***1-129F***

7.23.07 - I-129F received in Chicago

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

11.21.07 - APPROVED!!!! APPROVED. GOT AN E-MAIL ON THANKSGIVING!

03.03.08- INTERVIEW IN CIUDAD JUAREZ. VISA GRANTED ON 03.03.2008

***AOS & EAD***

3.10.08 - Case Received at Chicago Lockbox, check cashed 3.14.08

3.17.08 - Received both NOA's in the mail

3.21.08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail, biometrics Appt. 4.02.08

5.05.08 - EAD Card Production ordered GOT EMAIL (we received the same email on 5.09.08)

5.13.08 - Approval Email for EAD (so the card was ordered first, and then we were approved...hum)

5.15.08 - EAD Card Received in mail.

8.08.08 - WE GOT OUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT YAY...9/12/08 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

9.24.08 - Received Green Card in the mail YEAH!

***I-751***

6.15.10 - Mailed I-751 Docs to CSC, check cashed 6.24.10

6.26.10 - Received NOA in mail dated 6.21.10

6.29.10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 7.15.10

This is from the guides here at VJ:

For example, my husbands conditional green card expires 9/12/10, so we sent the documents on 6/15/10.

When to File:

If you are filing jointly, the I-751 form must be filed within the 90 days just preceding the expiration date on your permanent residence card. This is the date that your conditional residence expires. Note that, despite the fact that you may see word "anniversary" used in a confusing way regarding the filing date for removal of conditions, your wedding date is completely irrelevant to determining the window of time during which you may file for removal of conditions. If you and your spouse are outside the United States on orders of the U.S. Government during the period in which the petition must be filed, you may file it within 90 days of your return to the United States. See the USCIS webpage for more specific instructions, and search the forum for stories of several people who have done this successfully.

It is very important to file the I-751 within the correct window of time, and be sure not to file it before the 90-day window. If you file it too early, they will send your application back. You may file at any time during the 90 day window, but it is prudent to file fairly early in the window.

If you fail to properly file the Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) within the 90-day period before your second anniversary as a conditional resident, your conditional resident status will automatically be terminated and the USCIS will order removal proceedings against you. You will receive a notice from the USCIS telling you that you have failed to remove the conditions, and you will also receive a Notice to Appear at a hearing. At the hearing you may review and rebut the evidence against you. You are responsible for proving that you complied with the requirements (the USCIS is not responsible for proving that you did not comply with the requirements).

***I-130***

7.14.07 - Received NOA1 (WOW after 6 weeks, I was worried...called INS and told me CSC had a computer "glitch" causing delays on printing Receipt notices and approvals)

***1-129F***

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

***AOS & EAD***

3.21.08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail, biometrics Appt. 4.02.08

5.05.08 - EAD Card Production ordered GOT EMAIL (we received the same email on 5.09.08)

5.13.08 - Approval Email for EAD (so the card was ordered first, and then we were approved...hum)

***I-751***

You should file within the 90 days window of the expiry date mentioned on your card. In the meantime read the ROC guides and prepare your file. Good Luck!

Is this mean the officer was wrong...and he gave me that paper dated on it and tell me that is the proof to my knowledge and let me sign it and he sign it and he wants my husband to sign it too....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Your two year count starts from the date mentioned on your COnditional Green Card. Regardless of what the Officer told you. Maybe you misunderstood or maybe he was wrong. 90 days Prior to your Expiry on your Green Card you should initiate a removal of conditions application process.

IR5 For Parent

Filed: Other Timeline

Was the officer wrong, or did you misunderstand him?

Let's see what YOU posted here:

To: my name

Pursuant to section 216 of the immigration and Naturalization Act, you have been granted CONDITIONAL PERMANENT residence status as of 24 OCT 2010. You and your petitioning spouse must file a form 1-751, petition to remove the condition on residence with in 90 days period preceding the second anniversary of your admission for permament residence.

Okay, "within" is one word, and "permanent" is misspelled, but still it does not say "wedding anniversary" but "second anniversary of your admission for permanent residence."

In English, admission for permanent residence is the day at which you are considered a permanent resident. You'll find that date on your Green Card.

My guess is, you simply misunderstood the Immigration Officer, just got the "anniversary" part right.

Well, luckily we're here to help and you have plenty of time to get this done.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Agree

***I-130***

***1-129F***

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

***AOS & EAD***

***I-751***

Agree

I must misunderstood but why he wrote 24 Oct. 2010..instead of 24 June 2010 for that was the date I enter US? And what is the correct spelling of PERMANENT for you and WITHIN for one word for i am just copying that from the paper they gave to me on my Point Of Entry....I joined this forum to ask about matter i confused of.... but if you just come to just correct my spelling by the way thanks!!!!!(Just Bob)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Is this mean the officer was wrong...and he gave me that paper dated on it and tell me that is the proof to my knowledge and let me sign it and he sign it and he wants my husband to sign it too....

Yes, ot means the officer who told you that is 90 days prior your wedding anniversary is mistaken.

What he said is wrong, but, the paper he gave you and made you sign and signed as well has the right

information and there is what really counts.

Removing Conditions - I-751

Joint I-751 Sent- 04/02/10

Received at CSC - 04/05/10

Check Cashed - 04/07/10

NOA & extension received - 04/09/10 (dated 04/05/10)

Biometrics done - 05/18/10

Card Production Ordered - 06/24/10

Approval letter received - 06/30/10

New green card received - 07/06/10

Citizenship - N-400

N400 Sent - 04/01/11

check cashed - 04/07/11

Biometrics done-05/17/11

Interview letter-05/28/11

Interview date - 06/30/11

Oath ceremony-07/07/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.