Divorce Forum?

Divorce Forum  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should VJ have a Divorce Forum?

• Yes
    • No

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Well first of all for those who point out that VJ is a "Family Immigration Community" I'd like to point out that "divorce" lawyers are called FAMILY LAW practitioners. So yes, Divorce is a "family" issue, and it happens in the best of families.

Secondly, yes it happened to me as the USC, and before I even filed for a divorce, I spoke to an immigration attorney, so yes it impacted me greatly.

Thirdly, because of the new IMBRA laws, I am now required to file a waiver if I seek another spouse outside of the usa. Because I had a K-1 that I withdrew for a previous fiancee, and then a 2nd K-1 for my ex-wife who did come here on a visa prior to our being married.

So now, the USCIS has me in the position of needing to file a WAIVER if I want to file a 3rd K-1. There is NO criminal background in my past, but my ex-wife ALMOST did succeed in getting a "domestic" charge against me. It was trumped up, but I was smart enough to know what was going on, and it only resulted in a visit from the police for "reported Domestic Disturbance".

There as many issues dealing with a K-1 or K-3 marriage that fails as there are with "how do I get one" to begin with.

Therefore I voted "YES", and will continue to post on the topic in various forums where appropriate, since there is no one specific place to have this discussion (aka a "what to do if it doesn't work" forum"

-- Dan

Hey Dan, just out of curiosity, would you entertain ever filing a third K visa? Or would you avoid it like the plague?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LisaD,

To the contrary, I think she's provided a very good example of why it makes no difference whether we have the proposed forum or not - she's already posed these questions on VJ, even though there is no 'divorce' forum.

At least if there was a divorce forum such OT questions would be isolated there (before being moved to the OT forum).

Yodrak

UbiquitousPixie,

Please see my post, #15 in this thread. What's being proposed is not a forum for divorce issues, what's being proposed is a forum for immigration issues where divorce is a factor.

Yodrak

I vote yes for a divorce forum especially since I really could use one right now. I was just thinking of where I could go to get some advice on how to divorce someone who lives in the UK ...

I hate to say it, but I think UP provided a very good example of why we should reconsider this forum idea :/

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Other Country: Lebanon
Timeline

sure why not. divorce is sometimes a fact of life and a fact to immigration people too if they get into that boat

June 11 05-Married George, civil ceremony in New York

May 30 08-Baby Joshua was born

Jan 15-Back to NY we go...

May 10-made decision not to go back overseas.

July 10-filed for divorce

Jan 11-Divorce final

July 11-1st trip to take Josh to see George

Mar 12-2nd trip to take Josh to see George

MfXV.jpg.png

1LR1.jpg.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
sure why not. divorce is sometimes a fact of life and a fact to immigration people too if they get into that boat

Agreed

Adil & Janine

06/17/06- Wedding

08/16/06- I-130 and EAD sent with AOS packet

08/24/06- I-130, EAD, I-485 recieved

08/28/06- NOA1 for I-130, EAD, and I-485

09/01/06- Recieved boimetrics appointment letter

09/07/06- Biometrics appointment

10/24/06- Recieved letter for initial interview

11/21/06- EAD approved

11/27/06- EAD Recieved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/30/06- Touched- NOA for EAD sent

12/01/06- I-130 and I-485 Touched

12/20/06- Initial interview

12/20/06- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (4 months!)

12/27/06- Recieved NOA2 for I-130

12/27/06- Recieved welcome letter

12/27/06- I-485 touched, New card ordered

01/03/06- PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECIEVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAY!!!

09/18/08- Sent I-751... hopefully I did it corectly!

09/something... recieved NOA1 for I-751

10/16/08- Recieved biometrics appointment letter

10/25/08- Biometrics appontment!

03/19/09- Recieved letter stating I-751 transfered to CSC

03/30/09- I-751 approved!

04/02/09- Recieved approval letter

04/30/09- Recieved new card

10/14/09- Sent N-400... the wait begins again.....

10/24/09- Recieved NOA receipt letter

02/05/10- Recieved Fingerprint notification

02/23/10- Fingerprinting appointment

04/07/10- N-400 Interview

10/07/10- Request for aditional evidencce

02/07/11- Oath Ceremony letter arrives!!!!!!!!!!

02/18/11- Oath Ceremony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that many people come to the VJ site to get insights and information about their visa and relationship journey. When I began my relationship I scoured the web for information and/or advice. I didn't find much. until this sight.

There may be some common sense things to consider BEFORE marrying overseas or getting engaged to someone from overseas. Unfortunately, for some of us, our significant others didn't have the opportunity to fly back and forth for visits to the US (bc they come from the wrong country). Therefore, our relationships are tied to visa status. Perhaps the forum could be along the lines of "word to the wise" or something like that. Perhaps it can give people an opportunity to share the down side of international/online relationships.

I'd love to hear more about it.

6/2004 - Met Ethiopia (I was there on business). Spent two days together.

2004 - 05 - Fell in love

8/05 - Visited Ethiopia

9/05 - GOT MARRIED!!!

I-130

12/21/05 - Mailed I-130

12/27/05 - Rcv'd NOA1

I-129F (K-3)

01/22/06 - Mailed in I-129F

1/29/06 - I-129F Rcvd

02/02/05 - Recvd NOA1

3/24/06 - K-3 application approved - mailed to NVC

3/29/06 - Recvd I-797 NOA 2 via mail (less than 60 days)

4/06 - Recv'd letter from NVC

4/06 - Found out that there was a mixup at the Embassy - Somehow they didn't have his mailing address

5/2/06 - Husband meets with officials at Ethiopian Embassy - Recv'd Packet 4 (instructions for visa)

5/12/06 - Send affidavit of support, evidence of relationship via DHL to Sultan in Addis

5/16/06 - DHL arrives in Addis

5/18/06 - US Embassy told him he would get a same day interview when he submits his visa app (w/medical, police, affidavit of support, and proof of relationship)

5/23/06 - Submits his visa application. ITS APPROVED!!!!!!

5/24/06 - Picks up his passport and visa envelope.

6/26/06 - Arrives in the US!!!!

EAD

7/22/06 - Mailed EAD form

8/24/06 - NOA arrives in the mail

9/7/06 - Biometrics Appointment

10/03/06 - Work Authorization Card Arrives!!!

10/4/06 - Applied for SSN

10/17/06 - SSN Arrives in the Mail!!

11/21/06 - First Day at Work.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
I think that many people come to the VJ site to get insights and information about their visa and relationship journey. When I began my relationship I scoured the web for information and/or advice. I didn't find much. until this sight.

There may be some common sense things to consider BEFORE marrying overseas or getting engaged to someone from overseas. Unfortunately, for some of us, our significant others didn't have the opportunity to fly back and forth for visits to the US (bc they come from the wrong country). Therefore, our relationships are tied to visa status. Perhaps the forum could be along the lines of "word to the wise" or something like that. Perhaps it can give people an opportunity to share the down side of international/online relationships.

I'd love to hear more about it.

I vote yes, for a divorce forum that deals with the legal implications assoiciated with divorce and visa applications and/or the discontinuance of a visa petition because of divorce. :( It's depressing for some of us to think about, but short marriages do happen. I'd much rather there be a forum to stuff all that sadness into so that it doesn't clutter up the other forums. My humble opionion. (F)

I-130 IR1

1-18-06 I-130 sent to Texas, forwarded to California

2-06-06 NOA1 Received

4-24-06 NOA2 I-130 Approved!

5-24-06 DS-3032/AOS Fee-Bill Received

5-24-06 DS-3032 Sent to NVC

5-24-06 Payed AOS Fee-Bill

6-19-06 IV Fee-Bill Received

6-19-06 Payed AOS Fee-Bill

6-23-06 AOS I-864 Received

7-01-06 AOS I-864 Sent to NVC. Used new form.

7-03-06 AOS I-864 Received by NVC

7-07-06 DS-230 Sent to NVC using James Short Cuts

7-10-06 DS-230 Received by NVC

7-11-06 The NVC has received the Documents, "Please allow 6-8 weeks for review."

8-15-06 Case Complete at NVC!!

8-23-06 Case forwarded to London!

8-28-06 Letter from NVC: Case forwarded to London.

10-24-06 Medical

10-31-06 Interview scheduled in London. Visa approved

11-02-06 Passport / visa delivered by courier

11-08-06 EDI - IAH - CRP woo hoo! Home! Home! Home!

Hey Dan, just out of curiosity, would you entertain ever filing a third K visa? Or would you avoid it like the plague?

Hey Lisa, sorry for the delay in answering you...

yes I'd entertain a 3rd K-1.... however, if they refused my waiver I'd likely just K-3

I voluntarily withdrew my first K-1, but it still counts as having been approved.

My 2nd K-1... well, as I've posted, it sure went south... but I don't think it's the process, I think it was the PERSON, although the fact she was from a different culture (Russia) I failed to see some of the "red-flags" that perhaps I could have done differently.

But there were other issues that occured in our marriage, but I honestly believe she wasn't getting married to be with me and have a family, I believe she married me to come to America and have a better life, and if the marriage worked out, well so much the better...

But that's between her and the USCIS to determine if her intent was fraudulent or not...

-- Dan