chihopeful

Got a Notice of Decision Denied letter

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

"Where would you make the cutoff?"

I don't think there has to be a specific cutoff as long as there is a reasonable explanation included with the AOS application. To have someone have to go through the entire process again just because they missed it by 3 days is incredibly cruel and pointless. They are married now. They can't deport him/her. All they can do is make their lives more of a headache and delay their eventual AOS.

It was a stupid mistake though.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the comments. It is the law and I thought perhaps there was some "wiggle room" there but it doesn't look like it. I could try to write a letter to the Director but I think it would be meaningless.

I made the mistake and if this is what it takes to take care of it so be it.

Any help on the previous set of questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the comments, it is what it is and I accept full responsibility.

While working through form I 485, Part 2 Application Type. None of the items apply, what should I indicate for the Adjustment of permanent residence reason???

Is there a particular wording to use in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Also what do I indicate as the current USCIS staus?

Suggestion........Current USCIS Status: Expired K-1.

Any other takers on this or direct experiences???

As the I-130 will be submitted along with it you selct a) an immigrant petition etc etc etc

(the I-130 is an immigrant petition. Even though you wont be applying for a visa, you still need an approved I-130 and is applicable when submitting the I-130 simultaneously with the I-485)

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I appreciate the comments. It is the law and I thought perhaps there was some "wiggle room" there but it doesn't look like it. I could try to write a letter to the Director but I think it would be meaningless.

I made the mistake and if this is what it takes to take care of it so be it.

Any help on the previous set of questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm glad you see that it would be meaningless to argue.. them's the breaks and you have a great attitude! :)

Technically, you are filing under (a); I can't think of a downside to saying so. You can include copies of all your previous submission and the denial letter you got with an explanation of yoru situation, but it is not an unheard of event (to marry outside the 90 days). There is a solution, don't beat yourself up. Do be sure to check out the implications of using Advance Parole before leaving the US.

"Where would you make the cutoff?"

I don't think there has to be a specific cutoff as long as there is a reasonable explanation included with the AOS application. To have someone have to go through the entire process again just because they missed it by 3 days is incredibly cruel and pointless. They are married now. They can't deport him/her. All they can do is make their lives more of a headache and delay their eventual AOS.

It was a stupid mistake though.

If there was no specific cutoff date for getting married under a K-1 visa, what would the purpose of the visa be? For a USC to bring any foreigner here for an unlimited period of time to ... hang out? I know a lot of people (myself included) who would use such a visa, but it doesn't exist. The K-1 is to bring a foreign national to the US for the sole purpose of getting married to *that* USC within 90 days. <shrug> It's just the deal.

btw, 'they' absolutely could deport her. Marriage is no protection against that. Now, it's unlikely to happen, but it's unkind of you to suggest that she may have some sort of legal status when she does not. She should be quite careful about driving and being in situations where she could come to ICE attention (border states have a tougher time than others).

And, the AOS will not be delayed, other than the difference in time from when they mailed the first one. I doubt the case will get much more scrutiny than any other AOS, and will get processed more or less as normal. They will be able to explain why they married late when they have their interview, IF the officer asks about it. Mainly what it is is a $130 (or whatever the fee is) plus the medical fee mistake.

The OP is taking it all in stride. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Sorry you're having so many issues with this!

It sucks because if you'd have know you could have had a quick legal wedding a week or 2 before then had the "planned wedding".

Our minister was willing to marry us twice, once legally, and once for the family if needed. Luckily I got everything scheduled for the 85th day....

I-129F

11-28-05 Petition Sent

11-29 Arrived at Nebraska

12-02 Check Cashed - LIN Receipt # On Check :-)

12-02 NOA1 via internet

12-05 NOA1 snail mail

12-13 NOA2 via internet (day 14)

12-16 Email: Petition Forward to Dept. Of State

12-17 NOA2 snail mail

02-22-06 Interview passed, K1 Visa approved.

02-24 Visa arrived

04-14 Arrive in America.. SHE'S HERE!

07-07 Married :-)

AOS, EAD, AP

07-14-06 Sent all 3

07-16 Delivery Confirmed (NOA's dated 07-16)

07-24 3 NOA's in the mail box. (MSC #s not online for a long time!)

07-29 Biometrics letter

08-08 Biometrics Complete.

08-28 RFE Sent For I-485??? (Sigh, this is what it takes to get your MSC # online?)

08-31 RFE Snail Mail, Missing Tax Info (which was sent the first time!)

08-31 RFE Sent back

09-08 RFE rcvd at MSC email update

09-11 Touched I-485

09-13 Touched I-485

09-21 Rcvd AOS appt letter

10-18 Sent 'Status Inquiry' snail mail about EAD/AP not online and not approved.

10-28 AP/EAD FINALLY show online... 106 days. Not complete!

10-28 AP/EAD/AOS touched.

10-31 AP/EAD/AOS touched

11-03 11-07 11-11 and 11-13 EAD touched.

11-15 Day 123 (Day 68 since the RFE) EAD approved 11-14 email! AP still waiting.

11-16 10 AM Aos approved, 2 weeks to the green card we hope!

11-16 2PM EAD card in the mail.

11-17 Email "Welcome letter"

11-20 Welcome letter in Mail

11-27 Another "Welcome" email dated 11-27, changed from 11-17

11-29-06 GC in Mail, Were done for 1.75 years!

Thanks for the advice everyone. This forum has such a helpful crowd.

So that I am clear, on part 2 of I-485, I should indicate (a) an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number has been approved...(nevermind, I answered my own question after re-reading the above post =)

Should we wait to have the medical done and submit the entire package or send the package first and wait for the RFE on the medical? Which do you think would offer the quickest route?

OP=Offending Party???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
It sucks because if you'd have know you could have had a quick legal wedding a week or 2 before then had the "planned wedding".

Our minister was willing to marry us twice, once legally, and once for the family if needed. Luckily I got everything scheduled for the 85th day....

Same here.....I had everything scheduled for the 89th day, but then got scared that something might go wrong, that's why we had a quick legal ceremony right after I got over here and then the big church wedding at the end of the 90 days. Our minister performed both ceremonies, and our families still have no knowledge of the first one :lol:

Always better to be safe than sorry ;)

AOS timeline:

03/17/06 filed for AOS

03/28-06 touched

04/04/06 biometrics

04/05/06 touched

05/23/06 transfered to CSC

06/17/06 touched

08/16/06 touched

11/20/06 USCIS cust.service started inquiry about case (because it's outside of processing times)

11/30/06 approval e-mail

12/07/06 Greencard in the mail (= 8 months and 21 days for the entire AOS process)

.png

.png

OP means original poster (the person who started the thread). Sorry you missed the cut off date, but they have to stick to the 90 day limit. It is the law and the conditions under which the visa was issued.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I would probably take the medical exam first. You know you will have to have have one.

The 90 days passes pretty fast. If they would give you 6 months it would help with SS and other things that time out with the I 94. I really don't see who would be hurt by extending this deadline a little.

I agree with meauxna. You have an excellent attitude. I think some of the people here were a little harsh with you.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

I don't mind the comments. It's all constructive and you learn and move on to the duty at hand. I like to hear honest opinions rather than something else.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hopefully everything will be completed by today. The big question is do I send the package now or wait until the medical is done?

Also can we apply for a SSN# at this time. From what I read it may be difficult since the K1 expired.

Timeline
I don't mind the comments. It's all constructive and you learn and move on to the duty at hand. I like to hear honest opinions rather than something else.

Thanks for all the comments.

Hopefully everything will be completed by today. The big question is do I send the package now or wait until the medical is done?

Also can we apply for a SSN# at this time. From what I read it may be difficult since the K1 expired.

I'd try to submit a correct and complete application. I'm not up on the medical rules for your situation, so you'll have to find that out and decide for yourselves. Not much benefit in sending an incomplete packet tho; it will not get her in legal status.

She really, really should've applied for an SSN earlier. She is not eligible for one now, and won't be until she has an EAD or green card. So, not just difficult, but impossible if she applies now. :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Again, I am impressed with your style. I probably would have found the need to respond to some of these comments with mispelled ugly words. You are my hero. Very mature!!!

Forget about social security. They are worse than USCIS about rules. When the time comes we found that if you come in about 10 minutes before the office closes they have a very miraculous way of seeing you quickly.

When we had the interview they were very concerned about the money. They wanted to see a lot of comingling of finances. Open some joint accounts and keep records of any kind of business deals. We bought a house together and brought the records. Even with that I think they would have preferred to see some credit cards and bills in Lucero's name. I guess they are used to seeing certain things, and like all of us they are creatures of habit.

10 Nov mailed I 129F to TSC

16 Nov 29 Nov Notice date

3 Dec Received NOA 1

3 Jan 05 Please I just want to be touched

3 may 05 NOA2 E mail notification

7 May 05 Mail NOA2

11 May 05 sent petition to Bogota

18 May Packet 3 arrived

19 May Checklist taken to consulate

31 May Packet 4 delivered

29 June visa granted

1 July Visa delivered

Sometime in July Lucero came to US

13 Sept 05 Married

1 Nov 05 -USCIS recieved 485 and EAD

13 December RFE stupid things I should have included Returned very quickly

27 March received bio letter for New Orleans

7 Apr_06 Bio done in New Orleans

20 April 06 Touched on all applications

21 April Email received EAD approved

27 Apr Received EAD card

30 May 2006 Received appointment letter for JaX on 13 July 2006

13 July Interview successful approved

20 July Received green card

30 June 08 Sent I751 to remove conditions

25 July 08 Application returned erroneously incorrect fee

27 July mailed new application with separate checks

15 Sept 08 Application returned erroneously K2 not within 90 day timeframe

17 Sept Mailed 3rd application with mountains of proof of error copied Senator Mel Martinez

09 October 4th application package sent. This time they said the app signature page was a copy

10 Oct Sent package again 4th time.

25 Oct Received another NOA for Wife with $625 for the amount with one year extension

30 Oct 2008 Still nothing for step daughter. Checks still haven't cleared the bank

24 November Checks finally cleared the bank

February biometrics for wife Nothing for daughter.

meauxna, I didn't mean that the Visa should not have a limit, as in 90 days. I stated earlier that I thought they should let a 3 day past-date slide, assuming there was a reasonable explanation included. One person asked me "what would I make the cutoff?" What I meant was that I don't think they should have a hard and final rule provided there is a reasonable explanation as to why the wedding occurred on day 93, or day 100. Obviously the further away from 90 you get, the more difficult it is to explain, but 3 days ..... that's just cruel.

Timeline
meauxna, I didn't mean that the Visa should not have a limit, as in 90 days. I stated earlier that I thought they should let a 3 day past-date slide, assuming there was a reasonable explanation included. One person asked me "what would I make the cutoff?" What I meant was that I don't think they should have a hard and final rule provided there is a reasonable explanation as to why the wedding occurred on day 93, or day 100. Obviously the further away from 90 you get, the more difficult it is to explain, but 3 days ..... that's just cruel.

:)

I know how it seems, but hey, there has to be a cutoff somewhere. Plus, it's easier to work with what rules there are instead of thinking of all the ways they could change CIS. Studying the history of the service, I don't think there's a huge chance of major changes.. :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.