Delilah'sMan

I-129F question and more

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

First I have a question about #18 on the I-129F form.

18. Has your fiancé(e) met and seen you within the two-year period immediately receding the filing of this petition?

Describe the circumstances under which you met etc etc.

How do I answer this? There's not much to it, I took a flight to NYC to see her for the 2nd time. How much detail do they really want?

My other two questions are about the photos required and letters of intent.

How strict are they on the measurements of the photos? I've taken the example into a few places and they've told me they can't adjust those aspects of the picture, they tell me it's just a passport size picture and should be fine. The problem is I have a passport picture and the dimensions aren't very close.

On to the letter of intent, can I just write "I intend to marry insert name within 90 days after arrival in the US"? and something along similar lines for my fiancee?

Edited by Delilah'sMan

Petition sent: 12/10/2010

Arrived at service center: 12/14/2010

First NOA: 12/16/2010

Touched: 12/31/2010

Second NOA: 05/24/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

DM,

They want to know you two have met in the past 2 years prior to petition filing, and how you came to decide to meet. Introduced through friends,online, chance meeting or some sort of marriage broker. They do want to know how you two met because depending on the circumstances of how you two came to meet they will process your petition accordingly.

As for photos they want photos of the two of you together in every day circumstances. Out to dinner, out with friends, sight seeing and so on. The size requirements I think you are asking about pertain to the passport style photos. It will be the same style you currently have in your passport nothing less. Size requirements are a guideline and are not set in stone what is more important is that the only thing in this picture is from shoulders up no glasses, no hats against a light background, just like your current passport. my suggestion is to go ahead and get about 4 to 6 copies when you do get them of you and your fiancee. you two will submit some with petition and then again at interview and she will need again 2-3 for medical.

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Timeline

We met originally 6 years ago online, but met in person for the first time in 2007. So do I mention that?

Sorry some of this seems confusing to me :blush:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Letter of intent should read something like, I John Smith intend to marry my fiancee Jane Smith within 90 days of her arrival into the U.S. on K1 visa. Sign and date. She will also need to sign and date one of her own. Also possibl that this will need to be updated at time of interview.

Met online Sep 26 2009

Traveled to Ukraine Jan 22 2010

Spent 33 wonderful days together

Returned to US Feb 25 2010

K1 filed March 2010

Sent to VSC 2010-03-06

Received 03-08

Check cashed 03-10

NOA 1 dated 03-11

updated 03-16

Spending a week in Odessa and Kherson together 5-19-10 :)))))

NO RFE's

NOA 2 6-24-10

NVC recieve 6-28-10

NOA 2 Hard copy receive 6-29-10

NVC forward to Kiev 6-29-10 That was easy :)

Embassy receive 7-2-2010

Leave US 8-10 to attend interview

Interview 8-12-2010 :)))))))

VISA APPROVED 8-12-2010

POE Houston Tx. 8-20-2010

MARRIED Sep 25 2010 :))))))

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

First, are you the foreign beneficiary or the US citizen petitioner? If you're the beneficiary then you shouldn't be filling out this form. Your fiancee should be doing it.

USCIS does not care how you originally met, or the evolution of your relationship. Those are things the consular officer will be interested in at the interview. Feel free to front load this information with your I-129F petition, but I seriously doubt it will be necessary for the consulate in Australia. You can save this information for the interview.

What USCIS is interested in is whether you've met the statutory requirement that you and your fiancee have physically met each other, face to face, within two years prior to filing the petition. A simple statement describing this will satisfy the requirements of question 18. For example, "I took a flight to New York City on mm/dd/yyyy to meet my fiancee. We spent xx days together." They will also want PROOF of this statement. Common evidence people here provide are boarding passes for the flight(s) you took, visas or passport stamps (if international travel was involved), receipts for hotels/atms/purchases in the destination city/country, etc. These prove you actually traveled, commonly called 'primary evidence' on this site. For proof you actually met during the trip they want to see photos of both of you together.

You only NEED to provide proof of the meeting that meets the 2 year statutory requirement. You aren't required to submit proof of any prior trips, nor evidence of an actual romantic relationship. You can provide this additional evidence with the petition if you wish. It will become part of the file which USCIS forwards to the consulate, and can help if your fiancee is from a high fraud country. Again, I doubt it will make much difference in Australia. It's not generally considered to be a high fraud country.

They are rather lax about the photo requirements. What they mainly want to see is a picture that can be scanned and is compatible with their digital storage system. It's ok if it's a little taller, shorter, wider, narrower, or has a slightly tinted background. If it's dramatically outside the required dimensions, is not a frontal picture (angled or profile), or has a dark background then they may not accept it. My fiancee's photos were 1/2 inch too tall, 1/2 inch too narrow, and had a light blue background. They were accepted without question.

The sample letter of intent in the K1 guides (see link at top of page) concisely covers everything your letter needs to say. Many here have used the example letter successfully. Make sure you submit the ORIGINAL signed letters and keep a photocopy for yourself. Any document you submit that requires a signature from you or your fiancee must be the original signed document.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I am the beneficiary, and thank you very much for so much detail!

P.S. I realise I don't fill this form out, but I am getting the details for her.

Edited by Delilah'sMan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.