RAI

is a response to an intent to deny a RFE or something else?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Your visa service let you down, and you need to make an issue of it with them. Maybe there will be a way to quickly correct the omission of records; if so, it will be on your written notice. If not, you just need to start over, since she is unwilling to marry to help her get her visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife and I were going to do a K-1 visa figuring it was an easy way to go until I did some research on it. I have a record just short of Al Capone including three felony's (stupid stuff when I was young and dumb),...none of them for weirdo ####### like sex offenses or anything but I do have two questionable DV's on there, and after further research on it (thank god for google), and checking into the questions on the I129F form....lol...no way was I going to even try to go that route. I talked to the wife...then fiancee at the time and explained what the deal was. She knows my record seeing how everything in Alaska is on the net. My wife is a realist and not into "if's and/or maybe's". The CR-1 was a "no brainer" in our case. We did everything on our own like we had planned...which included another trip to Belarus, nice wedding, etc...and our visa process was as smooth as butter. Not only that, but seeing how we went the CR-1 route, she got her Soc. Sec. Card a few days after she arrived, her drivers license, joint bank account, a visa card for her, her green card, etc...

K-1 and K-3 visa's are set to fail if the USC has any kind of blemish on his/her record. It's a bs thing immigration is pulling with that #######, but I guess it's their way of power tripping on US citizens.

I think you're missing the point of the act. It's not intended to punish US citizens, but to protect foreign fiance/e's from unknowingly hooking up with someone who has a serious criminal record (especially a record involving violent crimes). In your research I'm sure came across horror stories about US citizens being put through the wringer because they had a criminal record and filed a K1 petition. Have you also heard of foreign brides who've been subjected to years of abuse in a relationship with a violent husband who holds their immigration status over their head as a threat if they dare to report him? In many cases, these foreign brides knew nothing of their US citizen husband's criminal history before they married him.

The IMBRA and VAWA are two sides of the same hammer. The IMBRA requires disclosure to the foreign fiancee if her US citizen fiance has an applicable criminal history. This gives her a chance to back out if she's thinks it's too risky. It also requires international marriage brokers to collect criminal history information from US citizens, and to provide this information to the foreigner so she can decide not to even initiate contact with him. VAWA allows her to get out of relationship that turns violent after she arrives in the US without losing her immigration status.

Both acts have a potential to be abused and used against the US citizen (VAWA much more than IMBRA), and there are plenty of horror stories on the internet to back this up. Both acts have also been used to protect countless foreign fiancee's and brides from being subjected to years of abuse. While VAWA is meant to be a protective measure of last resort, the IMBRA is meant to reduce the number of cases that ever get to the point of a VAWA claim. Neither of these acts are perfect, and there is certainly a lot to complain about in each of them, but both are an attempt to plug some holes in the patchwork of immigration law.

The only reason the IMBRA doesn't apply in a CR1 case is because it's too late to warn the foreign bride - she's already married her US citizen husband.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So if I produce all my records now and send them off in the response to intent to deny will I still have a chance or will I have to submit a new petition because this one will be denied?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have gathered all my court records and found that one misdemeanor marijuana charge was dismissed so I only have two marijuana charges and I sent off the response to intent to deny today and checked none apply. I also put a note in explaining that I was mistaken when I put that in before. Hopefully my petition will be approved. Thank you all for your assistance, :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.