30 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

If you want to be successful in life, you'll have to do your homework, always. That's something I learned early in life and something I still try to instill in our college-attending daughter. More often then not she starts her homework assignment the night before it's due and then attempts to write a 15 page paper. I'm telling her: "honey, find out what you need to do, then find out how much time you have, and then determine how you get there by wasting the least amount of valuable time you need to sleep." I still keep trying . . .

In your case you need to know that the ROC has 3 pillars which derive from the 2 essential components of intermingling: finances and housing.

Once you know that the three pillars are taxes, banking and cohabitation, you'll also be able to deduct from it that in a perfect world only 3 documents are needed to cover them all:

1) jointly filed tax returns,

2) joint bank account

3) joint mortgage or lease/rent.

Of course, our world is not always a perfect one. Far from it. For example, my wife and I never had a joint bank account. Our house I got many years before we even met for the first time. We do not have joint utility bills either. Yet I submitted what is most likely one of the smallest packages for my I-751 because I figured out how to substitute for it.

In regard to the bank account, I went to my bank manager who issued me a formal letter stating: To whom it may concern, Bob and his wife have the following bank accounts:

Account 1, #12345, balance $5,678.

Account 2, #23456, balance $10,123

Account 3, #34567, balance $6,789

Both Bob and Mrs. Bob have full and unrestricted access to any of those accounts.

Easy, huh?

The living together issue I covered in my . . . you guessed it . . . cover letter en passe, meaning I stated what I needed to state without making it a big issue. I wrote: "We still live in our house in Ventura. Our daughter now attends college in Santa Barbara . . . "

Done. No questions about mortgage or lease, no wondering of the I.O. why there are no documents pertaining to housing. I made up for it by sending copies of credit cards, auto insurance, and other stuff in both names that all went to our home address.

Nobody knows your situation as good as you do. Unfortunately, once you got the RFE, you are in a defensive position. You got the RFE because you left the housing pillar uncovered. Now you'll need to focus on documenting how to make up for this. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

On a slightly cheerful note, even substantial packages sometimes trigger an RFE. All it takes is one I.O. who had a bad day, or didn't feel cheerful. So it's not the end of the world, it's just an annoying delay. Then again, your 'resident since' date won't change, nor will your eligibility date to naturalize. If you think about it, it really means nothing when exactly your I-751 is going to be approved. And approved it will be as it is nearly impossible not to get approved for a couple that's married and lives together.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

There is nobody here that doesn't have either a kid or a house and got approved without RFE??? Then I guess we will see and RFE as well, we rent an apartment and we don't have kids... Frankly, I can hardly believe that.

YES - us. No RFE

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

If you want to be successful in life, you'll have to do your homework, always. That's something I learned early in life and something I still try to instill in our college-attending daughter. More often then not she starts her homework assignment the night before it's due and then attempts to write a 15 page paper. I'm telling her: "honey, find out what you need to do, then find out how much time you have, and then determine how you get there by wasting the least amount of valuable time you need to sleep." I still keep trying . . .

In your case you need to know that the ROC has 3 pillars which derive from the 2 essential components of intermingling: finances and housing.

Once you know that the three pillars are taxes, banking and cohabitation, you'll also be able to deduct from it that in a perfect world only 3 documents are needed to cover them all:

1) jointly filed tax returns,

2) joint bank account

3) joint mortgage or lease/rent.

Of course, our world is not always a perfect one. Far from it. For example, my wife and I never had a joint bank account. Our house I got many years before we even met for the first time. We do not have joint utility bills either. Yet I submitted what is most likely one of the smallest packages for my I-751 because I figured out how to substitute for it.

In regard to the bank account, I went to my bank manager who issued me a formal letter stating: To whom it may concern, Bob and his wife have the following bank accounts:

Account 1, #12345, balance $5,678.

Account 2, #23456, balance $10,123

Account 3, #34567, balance $6,789

Both Bob and Mrs. Bob have full and unrestricted access to any of those accounts.

Easy, huh?

The living together issue I covered in my . . . you guessed it . . . cover letter en passe, meaning I stated what I needed to state without making it a big issue. I wrote: "We still live in our house in Ventura. Our daughter now attends college in Santa Barbara . . . "

Done. No questions about mortgage or lease, no wondering of the I.O. why there are no documents pertaining to housing. I made up for it by sending copies of credit cards, auto insurance, and other stuff in both names that all went to our home address.

Nobody knows your situation as good as you do. Unfortunately, once you got the RFE, you are in a defensive position. You got the RFE because you left the housing pillar uncovered. Now you'll need to focus on documenting how to make up for this. It shouldn't be that hard to do.

On a slightly cheerful note, even substantial packages sometimes trigger an RFE. All it takes is one I.O. who had a bad day, or didn't feel cheerful. So it's not the end of the world, it's just an annoying delay. Then again, your 'resident since' date won't change, nor will your eligibility date to naturalize. If you think about it, it really means nothing when exactly your I-751 is going to be approved. And approved it will be as it is nearly impossible not to get approved for a couple that's married and lives together.

Thanks for your reply. I explained to them why there wasnt any deed/lease but that we did live at the same residence. We are not going to sweat it and send in what we have. Then all we can do is pray that everything is okay. We so appreciate your response. It takes encouraging words from others that have been through this to help calm the nerves. Thanks again.

A few more comments -

This is the 21st century. Many couples no longer decide to have children, and many couples do not get pregnant 2 months after marriage. Some couple are more responsible and work hard to establish a stable financial foundation before jumping into having children in an unstable environment. This being said, it is quite normal for people not to have children even 2 years after getting married.

Also, with the way the economy has been, it is quite understandable that some couples do not own a home together and still live in apartments.

USCIS, as much as they annoy us, are human too and they are dealing with the same day-to-day struggles related to job security, financial troubles and many others. Therefore, as long as you provide enough evidence to support a true and good faith marriage, then there is no need to worry.

HTH.

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Filed: Timeline

A few more comments -

This is the 21st century. Many couples no longer decide to have children, and many couples do not get pregnant 2 months after marriage. Some couple are more responsible and work hard to establish a stable financial foundation before jumping into having children in an unstable environment. This being said, it is quite normal for people not to have children even 2 years after getting married.

Also, with the way the economy has been, it is quite understandable that some couples do not own a home together and still live in apartments.

USCIS, as much as they annoy us, are human too and they are dealing with the same day-to-day struggles related to job security, financial troubles and many others. Therefore, as long as you provide enough evidence to support a true and good faith marriage, then there is no need to worry.

HTH.

:thumbs:

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I just received a RFE for my I-751.

The same, no house and no kid outside the box at that time!!!

When we sent the I-751, we were unaware of the little passenger.

I hope that a few echographie photos will make it clear.

mahalo

It drives me absolutely INSANE and up the wall that if you don't have a kid or a house after two years of marriage, they will send you a RFE.

I already know that the same thing will happen to us. If it does, I will send them the bill for our fertility treatments to shut them UP.

RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!

I AGREE WITH THIS 100% !!

Guys,

mahalo

What were the requests in this RFE? Or was it a general type where they are asking for any additional evidence you want to submit?

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

What were the requests in this RFE? Or was it a general type where they are asking for any additional evidence you want to submit?

It was a general one. Retrospectively, I read a few post here, and I see I was maybe 40% serious when preparing the packet compared to the initial 485/I131. I thought that it was only some kind of confirmation. I see that I was unprepared!!!

thanks for all advices I could read in all forums.

nico

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Guys,

mahalo

Hi nicolas_hawaii,

At first, sorry for you getting RFE...

According to your VJ Timeline, you are June filer. Can I add you June Filers list?

It would be of some help for others, like thinking of chance to get RFE...

It was a general one. Retrospectively, I read a few post here, and I see I was maybe 40% serious when preparing the packet compared to the initial 485/I131. I thought that it was only some kind of confirmation. I see that I was unprepared!!!

thanks for all advices I could read in all forums.

nico

It seems like they want to see if you can submit anything else. I think if you send in the pregnancy related evidence and probably a couple of more things (if available), and include a short cover letter explaining what you have are submitting and if there is anything that you don't have (example: house mortgage) then clearly state it and see what happens. I think you will be fine....

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

Hi nicolas_hawaii,

At first, sorry for you getting RFE...

According to your VJ Timeline, you are June filer. Can I add you June Filers list?

It would be of some help for others, like thinking of chance to get RFE...

yoroshiku,

feel free to do it!

I am sorry i did not do it, because i thought the time-line were not for a "petty" thing as I751.

As I was misleading myself to think it would be just a simple step.

Note that we also just changed state (HI->TX) in the middle of the application, that might have raised a few flag???

Janai,

nicolas

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

yoroshiku,

feel free to do it!

I am sorry i did not do it, because i thought the time-line were not for a "petty" thing as I751.

As I was misleading myself to think it would be just a simple step.

Note that we also just changed state (HI->TX) in the middle of the application, that might have raised a few flag???

Janai,

nicolas

So, you got RFE when you were still in HI and you'll respond from TX?

I don't think it raise any flag, but you'd better explain about moving in your cover letter or something...?

I'll add you to June Filers list!

Arigato!

• 2 years later...
Filed: Timeline

Hi- We also received an RFE, and I stressed about it a lot. The good advice I got was to include EVERY copy of the things you are including, not just a few months for example of a bank statement, but literally every month. The packet we sent was very thick.

My husband received his green card within 3 wks of sending the packet, so I don't really think they could have reviewed everything, but they just wanted us to send it. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.