Dr. A ♥ O

ACLU issues advisory to holiday travelers about Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
ACLU issues advisory to holiday travelers about Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law

Three California affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union issued an alert Wednesday informing holiday travelers about their rights in the event they are stopped and questioned by Arizona law enforcement officers in light of a controversial state law aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration.

The advisory is the first direct action that the Northern California, Southern California and San Diego affiliates have taken against Arizona law SB 1070. The ACLU’s national office is one of several organizations that filed a lawsuit challenging the Arizona law, approved by legislators in April.

The law empowers police, after making a lawful stop, to verify the immigration status of people they reasonably suspect are in the country illegally. The law doesn’t take effect until July 29, but ACLU officials say they fear some law enforcement officers may already be acting on its provisions.

“We want people to understand the dangers of traveling to Arizona and also to understand what their rights are should they be stopped by police,” said Hector Villagara, legal director for the ACLU of Southern California.

Villagara said the advisory was released Wednesday so it could reach Californians who plan to visit family in Arizona over the Fourth of July weekend and because SB 1070 takes effect in about a month.

The ACLU has also posted on its website a set of instructions -- available in English and Spanish -- that travelers can carry with them. The instructions explain how to navigate the process of dealing with an officer. The first instruction is to remain calm, Villagara said.

-- Sam Allen

Source

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

the American Criminal's Liberty Union strikes again.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

the American Criminal's Liberty Union strikes again.

How so? This is no different than some evangelical conservative political group advising its members about what movies and theme parks to boycott because they don't promote proper 'god fearing values'. OH wait, this is something you don't agree with, so clearly its some sort of nefarious endeavor. :rolleyes:

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

This is what the illegal alien cheerleading assclowns at the ACLU really should be doing instead of making themselves look more ridiculous than they already are:

ACLU issues advisory to holiday travelers illegal aliens about Arizona's anti-illegal immigration law

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Timeline

How so? This is no different than some evangelical conservative political group advising its members about what movies and theme parks to boycott because they don't promote proper 'god fearing values'. OH wait, this is something you don't agree with, so clearly its some sort of nefarious endeavor. :rolleyes:

the ACLU is ridiculous honestly when it comes to things like this.

They are treating AZ as if the rules are any different in other states. They really aren't that much different when it comes to traffic stops.

At least the guidelines they are giving are accurate. I'll give that to them. It's just a shame that they are demonizing something that does no harm whatsoever.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

the ACLU is ridiculous honestly when it comes to things like this.

They are treating AZ as if the rules are any different in other states. They really aren't that much different when it comes to traffic stops.

At least the guidelines they are giving are accurate. I'll give that to them. It's just a shame that they are demonizing something that does no harm whatsoever.

They are different, and I've pointed it out numerous times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you are not breaking the Law, you have nothing to worry about from the Police.

If you are breaking the law, Speeding etc and you are not an Illegal you have nothing to worry about from the Police, other than a ticket of course.

My wife, who has a Green Card and would happily show it to the Police if asked, will be going to Arizona for just this reason.

Have not been to Arizona for 10 years, sounds like the riff raff are staying away.

Timeline

If you are not breaking the Law, you have nothing to worry about from the Police.

If you are breaking the law, Speeding etc and you are not an Illegal you have nothing to worry about from the Police, other than a ticket of course.

My wife, who has a Green Card and would happily show it to the Police if asked, will be going to Arizona for just this reason.

Have not been to Arizona for 10 years, sounds like the riff raff are staying away.

I'll have to show Tbone this post lol.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Ignorance is bliss for some I suppose.

Timeline

Why did they issue the warning in English and Spanish.

This is in its self racist, all illegals speak Spanish or English ????

Because those are the two most used languages in the US? Why are signs in Wales in Welsh and English?

Timeline

Ignorance is bliss for some I suppose.

How is it ignorant?

He's right. If you're not an illegal and you have your ID with you, you have NOTHING to worry about. It's really simple...

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

How is it ignorant?

He's right. If you're not an illegal and you have your ID with you, you have NOTHING to worry about. It's really simple...

That alone is a major issue.

I hear ebay sells comic books

Is this an attempt at a personal attack? lame.