jiggy&jiga

from a tourist visa to get a greencard

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello everyone!!

We got married with my husband in US when I was on J-1 visa..I went back to my country to graduate from college..I decided to come back to America,but we never had time or money to apply for immigration,so at that time we chose the tourist visa,the fastest way to come here.Now we are almost done with our paperworks but we dont know how to figure out to get into greencard process from a tourist visa:(Will it cause a lot of trouble?is there anyway to make things better???

Thanks!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

So long as you can prove that you have a bona fide marriage, go ahead and file. You need also to file the I-131 for an extra fee. Their approval of the I-131 is needed before the AOS will be processed, but it doesn't delay anything.

Timeline

We were about to send the package so We have already filed the I-131 with others..I was originally just gonna visit and go back,things changed I decided to stay here..I dont know,as we were married when I entered with a tourist visa,now trying to get the greencard,all makes the process slower and hard???

Timeline

If your tourist visa application made it clear you were married to a USC, you're good to go. If not, then fraud could be a serious issue, and you should return to Turkey to await the granting of a CR-1 visa in 6-8 months.

Timeline

I told them I was married at the interview and on my visa it is written that "To visit American citizen husband in the US".Everything was clear except instead of visiting,I decided to stay??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The speed of the process won't be affected, but yes, it will be hard. The fact that you were here before, and married to a USC, will make them suspicious. Just make sure you have plenty of evidence that you intended to return home such as letter from employer when you were expected back, return ticket, lease or ownership of home in the foreign country etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

One more thing,if we do decide to send our papers now,In form I-485,in part 2,we couldnt find the box which suites our condition??

check box 'A' because you will be sending/attaching i-130, which is the immigration petition they are talking about in part A.

AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

Yes, it's a risk. You do need to prove that you have a serious marriage in all respects, and in the interview behave that way. Usually they tend to overlook overstaying a visa in favor of recognizing the strength of the marriage. It may depend to an extent on how quickly this all occurred; did you make this decision soon after you came to the US? Do you have US friends who can sign an affidavit that your original intention was to go back to Turkey?

Timeline

Hello again!

I have US friends who can sign an affidant for us.It might be easy to show how our marriage is serious because,he came to visit me 3 times to Turkey,I came to visit him two times,maybe it will work if we show our plane tickets??I was in the college so thats why we couldnt live together for a while and he was in the basic traning for AirForce..I am in the States for 3 months now,I decided to stay after a month I arrived,so we have been working on the paperworks,we were all ready to sent except not being sure to send them or go back to Turkey..we are still filling out the last things in the paperworks,In I-485,'CURRENT USCIS STATUS' what should we write in that?we havent send anything to immigration office yet..Alien number is the same way,I guess,should we leave them all blanks???Thank you guys!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Zimbabwe
Timeline

Hello again!

I have US friends who can sign an affidant for us.It might be easy to show how our marriage is serious because,he came to visit me 3 times to Turkey,I came to visit him two times,maybe it will work if we show our plane tickets??I was in the college so thats why we couldnt live together for a while and he was in the basic traning for AirForce..I am in the States for 3 months now,I decided to stay after a month I arrived,so we have been working on the paperworks,we were all ready to sent except not being sure to send them or go back to Turkey..we are still filling out the last things in the paperworks,In I-485,'CURRENT USCIS STATUS' what should we write in that?we havent send anything to immigration office yet..Alien number is the same way,I guess,should we leave them all blanks???Thank you guys!!

Your current status = visitor (as long as that hasn't expired).

As others have said, as long as you can prove you're married & as long as you can show that you didn't have the intent to stay here on the tourist visa when you entered the country you should be fine.

Married - 3/12/10

AOS Filed - 5/13/10

Biometrics received - 6/5/10

Biometrics done - 6/9/10

RFE Received 6/10/10

Touched - 6/7/10, 6/16/10, 6/17,10 (all)

RFE delivered - 6/29/10

Resumed processing - 6/30/10

EAD Production Ordered - 7/2/10, 7/8/10, mailed 7/15/10

Touched - 7/6/10, 7/8/10 (485, 765)

Touched EAD - 7/16/10

EAD Received!! - 7/17/10

Interview - August 30, 8:45- Approved!

My visa hasnt expired yet,but is it also My curent Uscis status,I thought it would be something else??

It's not the expiration of your visa that determines your status in the US - it's your I-94.

When that expires (your authorized stay), you will be "out of status" and will be collecting unlawful presence days. (180+ = ban if you leave the US and attempt to return)

All explained here.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.