senyorita80

Passport Card???

7 posts in this topic

Apologies if this was asked already. Im a US Citizen (got naturalized a few monhts ago) and now currently preparing to petition my dad. On one of the forms, I believe its I-130 states that I need to proof my US citizenship by sending copies of Naturalization certificate (which I have of course) AND a passport. Question is....... I am just about to order, for the very first time, a US passport. Im confused with Passport Book and Passport Card. The book is more than double the price of the card. Can I just get the card and not the book? Is this enough evidence or will they require the passport book itself.

I have been reading and learned that the only diff is that the book is for everywhere u go like international .. the card is for sea-port entries.

I dont have plans on leaving the country by air... Right now Im applying for a passport only because of the requirement for petitioning my dad.

So again,..... is the card ok or should I order the book?

TIA!!!!!!!! :help:

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Apologies if this was asked already. Im a US Citizen (got naturalized a few monhts ago) and now currently preparing to petition my dad. On one of the forms, I believe its I-130 states that I need to proof my US citizenship by sending copies of Naturalization certificate (which I have of course) AND a passport. Question is....... I am just about to order, for the very first time, a US passport. Im confused with Passport Book and Passport Card. The book is more than double the price of the card. Can I just get the card and not the book? Is this enough evidence or will they require the passport book itself.

I have been reading and learned that the only diff is that the book is for everywhere u go like international .. the card is for sea-port entries.

I dont have plans on leaving the country by air... Right now Im applying for a passport only because of the requirement for petitioning my dad.

Passport book is required for you if you need to get the visa to visit countries and also, the foreign countries will stamp your entry and exit on the book.

If you don't have booklet, you cannot do the above.

You can use passport card to visit (I think Canada / Mexico), if I were you, I will get both of them and if you are traveling through Arizona, got stopped, you can show them passport card. :thumbs:

Edited by Deep2009

I would go with the Passport good, most passport are issued with a 10 year validity, and also prices are always changing, at least you know that's one less thing you have to worry about for the next 10 years, you may not have any plan right now but who knows where the future will take you within the next 10 years.

Gone but not Forgotten!

You don't need a passport for the petition. You have to establish your citizenship. To do so, you you can use a U.S. passport or the naturalization certificate, but you don't have to have both.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I would recommend the full passport, if only to save yourself some trouble and $ in the future. If it's only because of the price difference, and it would be more difficult for you financially, I would call USCIS and ask about the card. I know sometimes they aren't really that helpful but I don't think it could hurt.

Logic says that it should be acceptable as a form of proof of citizenship since it requires the same level of scrutiny to obtain (and is issued by the same government that wants to see it!) but, then again, sometimes logic plays no part in the immigration process..

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here is a link from the US government which explains the differences between the passport book and passport card.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.